Need help with upgrading/repairing my drone (mainly new Motors)

tobimai

Hello,

first of all, I hope this is the right sub-forum. Second, I need advices for my Quadcopter. I built it pretty clueless a year ago from an instrictable, this are the specs:
  • Hobbyking X580 Glass Fiber Quadcopter Frame
  • NTM Prop Drive 28-30S 800KV with Prop mounting stuff
  • Afro ESC 30Amp
  • KK2.1.5 Multi-rotor LCD Flight Control Board
  • SLS 3600maH 30-60C 3S LiPo
  • 12x4.5 Props

My Problem is now that the bearings of a few of the motors are bad, ratteling very bad, and I think one of the shafts is slightly bent (its a bit harder to turn and vibrates quite bad). Als I lost the E-Clip of one of the Motors, which I will reorder in the coming days. In my opinion the motors all vibrate stronger than which is good, but I don't know if its its normal or not.

My question now is if it's better to buy new bearings and maybe replace the one motor with the bent shaft or just buy "Good Brand" motors for christams (for Example T-Motor for about 35€).

I hope someone has a few constructive Ideas.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The NTM's you have are running about 13.55GBP so it's not terribly expensive to replace one - and just transfer parts from one of the broken ones to the other (i.e. keep a good shaft and a good set of bearings). That's probably the least expensive way to get back airborne.

But not nearly as cool sounding as replacing all the motors, and then using your surviving NTM motor's for foam board planes :)

You might also be able to address some of the motor vibrations by balancing the motors - David W. talked about that in one of his video's or podcasts - he tightly wrapped a zip tie around the motor, and then nudged the little nubby part around by about an 1/8 of a turn at a time to find a location where it stopped vibrating.

And welcome to the forums!

tobimai

Well just replacing one is a good Idea, the problem is that I dont know if the motor really broken of if its just "chinese manufacturing tolerances"
Is there some way to actually "measure" the vibration?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Hmmm... Probably.... Maybe making sort of a home made seismograph - long thin/stiff wire with a thin pencil lead on the end, attached securely to the arm below the motor...