Need servo horn for 1.5mm wire.

Tontow

I'm trying to add steerable landing gear to some of my minis. The landing gear wire that came with them is 1.5mm.

I'm in Washington USA. Anyone know of a servo horn that will fit over and clamp to a strait piece of 1.5mm wire?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
It would probably be easiest to make some bends in the wire and then for them into the servo horns in a way that will turn the wheel. If you need, you can drill out the servo hole.

M

MCNC

Not the best pilot here, but I have found that solder works very well on push/control rods, soldering unlike sizes is not difficult. If I understand the issue.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Not the best pilot here, but I have found that solder works very well on push/control rods, soldering unlike sizes is not difficult. If I understand the issue.

I'm not sure I'd trust soldering pushrods. My experience with solder is that it's fairly soft, and putting a load on it like that might cause it to fail. Just my opinion, YMMV.

That said, I'd have to agree with @The Hangar - some Z-bends and drilling out the servo hole would most likely work better and be less messy than trying to clamp onto straight wire.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I'm trying to add steerable landing gear to some of my minis. The landing gear wire that came with them is 1.5mm.

I'm in Washington USA. Anyone know of a servo horn that will fit over and clamp to a strait piece of 1.5mm wire?

I doubt you'll make a servo horn/arm work for your needs.

Do you have a friend with a 3D printer? I've designed and printed a steerable nose gear for the as yet to be released Willy Nillies Eaglet 250. I made my initial steering arm prototype for 1/16" (.0625"/1.58 mm) wire. My final version is for .047" wire. I used 4-40 for the wire grub screw. In all cases the wire hole needs to be final drilled to proper wire size and you'd need a 4-40 drill and tap for the grub screw. I've already done final prints and they work great. I'm more than happy to share the .stl files if that will help. I can easily resize the file to fit your needs. I'm not at all interested in selling and shipping parts though. Sorry.....

EDIT: Here's a link to the thread with my 3D printed steerable micro nose gear. LINK

Joe

Keno

Maybe I am wrong here but 1.5mm push rod for a mini seems a bit heavy. I do not know the length that you need and that would be a consideration for wire size. I generally prefer 1.25MM or smaller. It is not unheard of that you have to resize the hole for servo arms or control horns if existing holes are too small.

Tontow

Maybe I am wrong here but 1.5mm push rod for a mini seems a bit heavy. I do not know the length that you need and that would be a consideration for wire size. I generally prefer 1.25MM or smaller. It is not unheard of that you have to resize the hole for servo arms or control horns if existing holes are too small.

The aircraft is the Mighty Mini Guinea and the push rods aren't 1.5mm, but the wire for the landing gear is.

I don't know anyone with a 3d printer.

The Idea of using a servo horn is that I want the nose gear to be removable.

I currently have some wire collars holding it in place, but I'm having a hard time finding a servo horn that can clamp onto a wire that small.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I took a look at that Mighty Mini Guinea and there's no way I'd try to use 1.5 mm gear on something that size and I consider myself pretty good when it comes to smooth landings. I would start looking NOW for the Dubro #234 1/2a 3/32" steerable nose gear. It appears Dubro has discontinued it. I use these gears on lots of planes and always keep a few in stock. Now that the've been discontinued it looks like I'd better get busy drawing up files for this size gear to 3D print now. I simply can't do without this gear package as I convert just about everything to trike gear.

Joe

Keno

The aircraft is the Mighty Mini Guinea and the push rods aren't 1.5mm, but the wire for the landing gear is.

I don't know anyone with a 3d printer.

The Idea of using a servo horn is that I want the nose gear to be removable.

I currently have some wire collars holding it in place, but I'm having a hard time finding a servo horn that can clamp onto a wire that small.
Ok I understand what you want to do I think. I have a mini guinea and normally it use follower type of nose gear. This what I do for this, I use a wheel collar and replace the set screw with longer cap screw. Use a nut to tighten on your control push rod. Just an idea to get you thinking.

Last edited:

skymaster

Elite member
I took a look at that Mighty Mini Guinea and there's no way I'd try to use 1.5 mm gear on something that size and I consider myself pretty good when it comes to smooth landings. I would start looking NOW for the Dubro #234 1/2a 3/32" steerable nose gear. It appears Dubro has discontinued it. I use these gears on lots of planes and always keep a few in stock. Now that the've been discontinued it looks like I'd better get busy drawing up files for this size gear to 3D print now. I simply can't do without this gear package as I convert just about everything to trike gear.

Joe
i got a little ? since you brought that nice nose landing gear . i always wondered what are the curls on the wire for what do they do after all this time i'm still learning. what does it do?

Turbojoe

Elite member
i got a little ? since you brought that nice nose landing gear . i always wondered what are the curls on the wire for what do they do after all this time i'm still learning. what does it do?

The coil absorbs the shock of hard landings, rock strikes etc so it doesn't get transmitted to the airframe and rip the gear out.

Joe

M

MCNC

Just a note on pushrod soldering, this came out of a soggy tiny trainer. I realize the direction of force applied will make a difference, but pulling and pushing this rod I was not able to break the joint, sure twisting and bending will cause it to fail but this method is sound. Besides soldering is fun.

Attachments

• 20191231_185157.jpg
    20191231_185157.jpg
    670.3 KB · Views: 0

Tontow

Anyone have any suggestions for a 3d printing company?

Basically, I have a wire that sticks straight up that I need to put a servo horn on.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Try taking one of your extra servo arms and drill out the hole. If you seek it’s too thin, then spread a little epoxy over the area and let it dry before you drill it out.