Solved Need Slicing Help

flyingkelpie

Elite member
I've got an Ender 3 V2 and it's been printing really well but I have been having issues with the slicer. I'm trying to slice this...
1652578886656.png

And I've been getting this...
1652578919470.png

So if someone could guide me through the process of slicing an aerofoil shell type thing it would be helpful.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
your wall thickness in your model is to small for the slicing method.

looking at what your trying to print, I suspect you want to make a solid model, set it to not top/bottom layers, no infill, 1 wall thickness.

flyingkelpie

Elite member
your wall thickness in your model is to small for the slicing method.

looking at what your trying to print, I suspect you want to make a solid model, set it to not top/bottom layers, no infill, 1 wall thickness.
Thanks that fixed a few problems. (y) Unfortunately there is still nothing between the top and bottom for some reason. Is there a problem with this happing or will it print alright?
1652580508920.png

Andrew

G'day Mate
I've got an Ender 3 V2 and it's been printing really well but I have been having issues with the slicer. I'm trying to slice this...
View attachment 225733
And I've been getting this...
View attachment 225734
So if someone could guide me through the process of slicing an aerofoil shell type thing it would be helpful.
I've seen something like this is when the object dimensions are to big for the build plate when trying to set up for slicing. First pic there's no brim/skirt and fits within the build plate dimensions, second pic now has brim/skirt and now (possibly) to large for your printer bed dimensions within the slicer, so now the slicer has grayed it out.

JasonK

can you link your stl file your working with? I can load it up in my slicer and get some ideas on what might be the issue

JasonK

that also isn't going to print - at least not without supports. you have a huge bridge - that is curved - I doubt any printer is going to pull off a curved bridge like that with a single layer thick walls and have it look good.

flyingkelpie

Elite member
that also isn't going to print - at least not without supports. you have a huge bridge - that is curved - I doubt any printer is going to pull off a curved bridge like that with a single layer thick walls and have it look good.
True I didn't think about that.

JasonK

your surfaces have 0 thickness, you need to apply a solidify/thickness modifier to give it thickness to the surfaces.

This is after I gave the surfaces a non-zero thickness:
1652659024933.png

I took your STL, loaded it in blender, applied the Solidify modifier with 0.2m thickness (this appears to have made the walls thick enough for the slicer to make them 1 wall thick, but not try to make them 2 walls thick), then re-exported it. there does look like there area few issues/unexpected holes.

So if you make your walls the same thickness as your nozzle size, it should slice up nicely for you.

Attachments

• x_solidified.stl
    306.1 KB · Views: 0

tamuct01

Yes, the top part of that hole will be a large bridge. It's nearly impossible for a FDM printer to do a curved bridge line like that. Supports on something like this will likely be difficult to remove and probably have as much filament in them as the rest of the piece. You can also emboss the surface with the cutaway space and print it solid and cut it out later.

flyingkelpie

Elite member
your surfaces have 0 thickness, you need to apply a solidify/thickness modifier to give it thickness to the surfaces.

This is after I gave the surfaces a non-zero thickness:
View attachment 225778

I took your STL, loaded it in blender, applied the Solidify modifier with 0.2m thickness (this appears to have made the walls thick enough for the slicer to make them 1 wall thick, but not try to make them 2 walls thick), then re-exported it. there does look like there area few issues/unexpected holes.

So if you make your walls the same thickness as your nozzle size, it should slice up nicely for you.
Okey I'll print that as a prototype as this is only the prototype version then work on a batt hatch

JasonK

you must have a setting slightly different then me.

here is the solidify with 0.4 thickness instead of 0.2 - which I did the first time. make sure your slicing settings are all default and see what happens. if that doesn't get it working for you, your going to need to figure out how to do a solidify operation in what ever tool your using.

Attachments

• x_solidified_0.4.stl
    306.1 KB · Views: 0

flyingkelpie

Elite member
you must have a setting slightly different then me.

here is the solidify with 0.4 thickness instead of 0.2 - which I did the first time. make sure your slicing settings are all default and see what happens. if that doesn't get it working for you, your going to need to figure out how to do a solidify operation in what ever tool your using.
That worked(y), Thanks for all the help!