need some advice

fathirad.amir

hello, guys, I am new on making planes, and I know some about aerodynamics in planes but my specialty is on car aerodynamics and I know my way well enough around composite materials especially carbon fiber and I make composite car parts for a living , but I always loved planes, I believe in go big or go home so I decided to make a big RC plane ( something like 3m from each wingtip to another one) but I couldn't find any proper plans for a wood structure plane, and I want to use a plan for a wood structure plane and while making that, reinforce the wood with carbon fiber and also I want something keeps me busy for a couple of months, is there anyone has any plans to fit my goal please? ( sorry for my poor language skills, English is not my mother tongue language). it seems I didn't write everything, I am not gonna fly it, I have a professional pilot and he flys RC for a living so i am not gonna fly anything i am just designer and builder based on this what would you recomend,
i hope if i can make this work after that i hope i can make a solar high altitude plane

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I would recommend doing a foam plane and using wood for support. You can find the plans to a monster cruiser and monster spitfire on the forums. If you’ve never flown an rc airplane before, I’d recommend building something like the scout or explorer to learn on before you try your nice plane. Good luck!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
You I’ll be better served to start with few sacrificial trainer planes. Everyone goes through a few planes learning to fly. The tiny trainer, simple cub, storch, bushwhacker and explorer all make great first planes

After you learn to fly, you can build the carbon fiber plane of your dreams.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
hello, guys, I am new on making planes, and I know some about aerodynamics in planes but my specialty is on car aerodynamics and I know my way well enough around composite materials especially carbon fiber and I make composite car parts for a living , but I always loved planes, I believe in go big or go home so I decided to make a big RC plane ( something like 3m from each wingtip to another one) but I couldn't find any proper plans for a wood structure plane, and I want to use a plan for a wood structure plane and while making that, reinforce the wood with carbon fiber and also I want something keeps me busy for a couple of months, is there anyone has any plans to fit my goal please? ( sorry for my poor language skills, English is not my mother tongue language).
I agree with the other posters. "Go big or go home" is commendable. If you don't learn to fly first, you'll be going big and then going home with a bag of parts that used to be a plane. ;)

RC flight isn't something one can just do. It's a set of skills, muscle memory, and situational awareness that must be learned from experience. My personal recommendation would be to start with the Tiny Trainer. Only because it's the plane that taught me that I could fly, after many, many crashes and rebuilds.

As has been pointed out, there are other planes that you can learn to fly with as well. The TT is just my personal recommendation from experience.

Start small. Learn to fly. It's amazing when you do! Take the baby steps, then you can go as big as your heart desires! :) Keep us posted with pics and video and we'll help out, cheer you on and hopefully point out any mistakes before the plane takes to the air. Happy flying!

Headbang

Master member
hello, guys, I am new on making planes, and I know some about aerodynamics in planes but my specialty is on car aerodynamics and I know my way well enough around composite materials especially carbon fiber and I make composite car parts for a living , but I always loved planes, I believe in go big or go home so I decided to make a big RC plane ( something like 3m from each wingtip to another one) but I couldn't find any proper plans for a wood structure plane, and I want to use a plan for a wood structure plane and while making that, reinforce the wood with carbon fiber and also I want something keeps me busy for a couple of months, is there anyone has any plans to fit my goal please? ( sorry for my poor language skills, English is not my mother tongue language).
Try aerofred.com
That is my go to for balsa plane plans.

Headbang

Master member
Back in the day a trainer was a 40 sized glow plane. Mine was a sig cadet mk2. Which I turned into a pile of little sticks on my first solo. Then to a goldberg electra. A stable stick built electric sail plane. It was amazing and I loved it and I flew it until the belly was only held together by covering, the wing is still in my garage 30yrs later. For a flite test design, I say start with the explorer and build both wings. Here is the why. First off you build it, and it is simple and builds quick, and you get the basics of how plane servos, control horns, recievers, ect work. It is a pusher, so no broken props. It can take off on it's belly, do not have to always hand launch. It is very stable with both 3ch and sport wing. 3ch wing is like a glider, very well suited to beginners. Sport wing is just a few rubber bands away to move up to when ready. It is of a reasonable size (not small and twitchy), it can handle a lot more wind then the Tiny Trainer, meaning more stick time. It has a easily buildable disposable nose (in fact whole thing is modular) making replacing broken pieces easy. It can fly off of snow! For a tinkerer it has endless easy potential to play with (see the FT bronco). One can design new wings, new noses, change anything and see how it changes things!
Down sides. Need to extend the nose an inch to make easy to balance (or use a 3300mAh battery, which is better for wind handling). Need to add something in the center of the wing for a spar, even just a bbq skewer, to make sure the wing does not fold.
But no matter what you do, key is to start low cost and simple, learn how things work. Makes building big cool projects a lot easier.

One other note. Carbon fiber is great for spars and strengthening things, but it is not radio friendly. Radio signals do not penetrate carbon fiber. I have seen carbon fiber spars cause all sorts of issues. Fiberglass on the other hand is invisible to radio waves. (I design radio communication systems for a living)

fathirad.amir

I would recommend doing a foam plane and using wood for support. You can find the plans to a monster cruiser and monster spitfire on the forums. If you’ve never flown an RC airplane before, I’d recommend building something like the scout or explorer to learn on before you try your nice plane. Good luck!
thank you i am only the builder someone else gonna fly it, I have a professional pilot

fathirad.amir

I agree with the other posters. "Go big or go home" is commendable. If you don't learn to fly first, you'll be going big and then going home with a bag of parts that used to be a plane. ;)

RC flight isn't something one can just do. It's a set of skills, muscle memory, and situational awareness that must be learned from experience. My personal recommendation would be to start with the Tiny Trainer. Only because it's the plane that taught me that I could fly, after many, many crashes and rebuilds.

As has been pointed out, there are other planes that you can learn to fly with as well. The TT is just my personal recommendation from experience.

Start small. Learn to fly. It's amazing when you do! Take the baby steps, then you can go as big as your heart desires! :) Keep us posted with pics and video and we'll help out, cheer you on and hopefully point out any mistakes before the plane takes to the air. Happy flying!
I am not going to fly it, I have a professional pilot

fathirad.amir

Try aerofred.com
That is my go to for balsa plane plans.
thank you so much for your information I am gonna check that site now and thank you so much on information about carbon fiber I didn't know that carbon fiber has interference with electromagnetic waves, ofcourse using e glass is a million time easier and cheaper, I thought the best material for making light strong parts is carbon fiber so I decided to include it in anything I am gonna build, also i had something else in mind
while i was experiencing with car parts, i used a 3mm foam board( without the paper) between 2 layers of biaxial carbon fiber and it was so strong i could stand on a 50 to 50 cm sheet of it without much problem , it broke at last but it was so strong for its price and wight and another thing came into my mind was make those sheets and use wooden plane plan and use this foam carbon fiber sandwich rather than wood , or based on what you said e glass foam sandwich

Last edited: