Need some help programming the FT Sparrow

Fly&Fish

Hello everyone, first time RC guy and poster here.

I just got into RC planes a few weeks ago. I was able to make a FT Arrow (and crash it horribly) and have decided to give it a second try with a FT Sparrow. I've built the plane and am at the connecting electronics stage. I've watched and rewatched Josh connect the servos on the build video and my plane will not respond accordingly.

I am using a Orange Tx and an Orange Rx. In the video, Josh mentions using both Dual Aileron and V-tail mixing. I have both turned on and can only control one "taileron" at a time; only the "taileron" connected to the Aileron port moves. I have the servos for the "tailerons" connected to the Aileron and Elevator ports. With both V-tail and Dual Aileron activated, I can see (on the monitor screen) that I get power to the Aileron and Auxiliary port. I've tried plugging one servo to Aileron and the other to Aux, this results in being able to make the "tailerons" give my plane horizontal movement, but I have no vertical movement.

I did try activating "elevon" mixing that doesn't seem right in my mind; I know you use Elevon mixing for Delta Wings and this is not a Delta Wing.

I'm not sure what else to do!

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
I have never used the orange radios but having multiple options turned on trying to do the same thing sounds to me like they are fighting each other. It's a little confusing but it is elevons. turn on the elevon option and turn eveything else off.

Fly&Fish

I just tried using Elevon mixing, and only 1 surface moves. With my arrow I was able to get both surfaces to move with Elevon mixing. Is it my Tx?

CrashRecovery

Mentor
you need to make sure you are plugging into the right ports. you need to be using the elevator and aileron not rudder and elevator

CrashRecovery

Mentor
then it sounds like a program issue in the radio. with the elevon programming turned off do each servo operate properly? if so then you need to try and turn it on again. I would reset the radio, and start fresh.

Fly&Fish

I think you are right. I just reset the controls for the plane and have the servos connected independently to elevator and aileron and only the aileron servo is responding. The servos are working because when I switch the ports, the servos are responding, but only the aileron servo.