Need some help with a TriCopter idea

Lite5h4dow

Hi there, i've been watching flitetest videos on youtube for years, and have enjoyed flying quad copters and rc helis when i had the chance, now after flying other peoples MultiRotors for years i want to make my own.

Now ive had a few ideas and although i'm no stranger to electronics and programming, im a little confused as to where to start, i wanted to make the FliteTest's scratch build tricopter kit however the transmitter is where i have a problem.
i wanted to make my own, i have an nvidia Shield Portable, and i was thinking, seing asit has a micro usb port that i could use the controls on it as a transmitter, and the screen for recieving fpv as i cant afford a decent transmitter, i would rather wait till i have the money for the best transmitter i can get my hands on and make my own for now.

any help with any of this would be much appreciated, and if your going to crush my dreams, please do it softly xD

paulshort

what kind of budget do you have? you can get a turnigy 9x which is a very decent radio for around $60 I personally see no need of having a more expensive radio then this. If your good with electronics you can flash this with openTX or ER9X firmware which makes it almost as good as a taranis http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=8992
Is this out of your budget? as to making your own transmitter it could be done but it would take a considerable amount of programming and mechanical work.

Paul

Lite5h4dow

what kind of budget do you have? you can get a turnigy 9x which is a very decent radio for around $60 I personally see no need of having a more expensive radio then this. If your good with electronics you can flash this with openTX or ER9X firmware which makes it almost as good as a taranis http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=8992
Is this out of your budget? as to making your own transmitter it could be done but it would take a considerable amount of programming and mechanical work.

Paul
Hwy, thanks paul. im in the uk and at the moment i have a budget about £50-60 so i guess that controller would be great but what about getting fpv for the same price as the screen on my dhield can be used as an fpv viewer, this was the main reason i wanted to turn my shield portable into a controller. coding and electronics dont really phase me but im not really experienced applying it to hobby flight

RGJameson

I always see these $60 TXs, for me from your link with the cheapest shipping comes out to $84.80 to the US. Getting it from the US warehouse (they jack up the price to $69.97) with shipping comes out to $80.78.