Need some help with an EMAX TInyHawk-S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tazman

Hey guys I have a new tinyhawk s the 2s version, well got it new a few weeks ago now and it for some strange reason smoked out one of the esc’s, was not flying it, just setting it up had it plugged into the battery, well next thing you know after about 15 min I see magical white smoke, knew that was not good, never bothered with warranty figured they would find a reason to mess with me, I just bought a new FC. Well that new FC came unflashed and I had no way to get the right HEX or CLI, I did manage to find a HEX for it, it is for the tinyhawk s and a CLI dump, came from the emax youtube channel run by them, I do not think the hex is right and the CLI is for sure not like the original one as the stick input selection is not the one that is supposed to be there nor was it like in the original FC board that came with ie , so I added that into the CLI. I have it flying but it does not feel right in the air, maybe its just me, its not bad but I think it could be better. I cannot find a good hex file for it, I have searched Emax website and not a good CLI dump again searched emax website. What gives why is there not a proper hex and CLI from emax.

FDS

Elite member
Just do a CLI window “diff all” on the old board, plugged into Betaflight, then keep that and put the new board on, copy and paste the CLI dump into Betaflight, hit return, then type “save“
The old board doesn’t need the esc to power up on the USB plug. You might have smoked the FC Bec on that board by leaving it plugged in to a battery on the bench with no airflow for so long, if so the board won’t light up when you plug USB in either.
That should restore all the stuff from the old one. That’s why I told you to always back up your models with diff all to get the .txt file with all the settings on.

Tazman

I did A diff all, but I dont think that has everything, its much too short of a file, a complete dump would work, diff all does not copy everything. But your idea is sound though if I do a complete dump of it that may well work.

Tazman

It still does not help with getting a proper HEX file and selecting the right target, I did get a hex file off the youtube video EMAX made, however they used an older version of betaflight, it had a MATEKE411RX choice, now there is only MATEKE411RX(legacy) and MATEKF411RX(MTKS) , not sure which one to choose, I do have a copy of what looks like the right HEX file I cannot be 100 percent sure, it did come from EMAX I trust those idiots now about as far as I can throw them, not very far. I suggest no one every buys a thing from that company, the tech support is almost none existent, I cannot believe they sold me that much garbage first the bad FC, then a incorectly setup FC, not to sure what is up with a company like that. Anyway I will try a DUMP of the CLI, Diff ALL is not the right choice ever. If you want a backup straight up dump, not even sure why you would ever want a diff all, from what I understand it only backs up a tiny copy of changes made form the original CLI, which is fine if you get a board that has a good CLI and you want to save time and put back in the changes without going through the entire setup, however I got a F’d up board with a CLI that is mostly non existent, I had to do a fix program just to enter DFU mode on the new board it was that bad. I can not enter DFU mode and flash it. I got it up and flying to some degree, I just do not trust it is where it needs to be. I do know one thing I hate EMAX, never ever will I buy not even a toaster from them.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Make sure to build using the same version as listed on the DIFF ALL you get - pasting in a DIFF all from a 3.x.x into a 4.x.x version of betaflight can cause bad things to happen.

Reactions: FDS

Tazman

Make sure to build using the same version as listed on the DIFF ALL you get - pasting in a DIFF all from a 3.x.x into a 4.x.x version of betaflight can cause bad things to happen.
Thank Caroline, I have read many of your posts and I am so grateful for your help. I am sooooo new to all this and I am completely out of my safe zone. I would never be doing this if it were not for the old board dying and the new one coming pretty much unflashed near as I can figure it. I have some issues I wish I could speak to people so help me, posts do not allow me to put in all the things I see and I MISS SOME CRITICAL PARTS OF MY ISSUE, mostly cause I am doing something I have no clue about, I wish I could get this back the way it should be factory default, I fear I am just going to throw it in the trash bin, its not what I wanted this early in the game and its to the point this is no longer fun, I am pretty sure no one can help and I am at the point that, well its time to quit, I got robbed by a company, nothing new there. I hope EMAX is happy and sleeps well, I will never give them another penny, they could have helped. I looked at the cli from that other board, did a dump all, I think that is a command, well in the stick layout, it has a layout that should not be there, its supposed to be THAE layout,or something close to that, and it has AFTE or something close to that, before I did the dump it had the TH one now after I look at the dump and now in the old board it magically changed, I think something is crazy here, it may be me. if anyone has the time, I have skype, even just a friendly chat would be welcome, I think I am beat though.

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
Have you tried reaching out to Bardwell, he does fixes for his channel sometimes and is pretty good at answering email. I could probably restore it if I had it all in front of me, my 3000 mile screwdriver is not as effective!
Skype message me if you want to post it to me to fix.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Fair enough - flashing a board is really straight forward if you know what options to take - I can get that from the diff all

Tazman

Fair enough - flashing a board is really straight forward if you know what options to take - I can get that from the diff all
yup it should be if you have stuff not in a beta version firmware, betaflight is exactly that its beta, it works much like prayer, if you pray hard enough it may just work, issue is the CLI is evolving everytime I save it, its like some Borg hive ship, I need to chat with guys that understand this.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Betaflight is tried n true.. nothing beta about it other then unreleased nightly builds n such. Its very stable. It relies a tad to heavy on filtering for my style of flying but its super simple and stable.

this is a 2 inch quad on 3s running beta flight. slight pid changes and huge rate drops to get it to fly like a whoop other then that rest is stock.

this is my latest racer build on beta flight again slight change in pids and rates and now learning what feed forward does to tighten up turns at higher speeds.

this is the latest run after adding some feed forward..

Tazman

Betaflight is tried n true.. nothing beta about it other then unreleased nightly builds n such. Its very stable. It relies a tad to heavy on filtering for my style of flying but its super simple and stable.

this is a 2 inch quad on 3s running beta flight. slight pid changes and huge rate drops to get it to fly like a whoop other then that rest is stock.

this is my latest racer build on beta flight again slight change in pids and rates and now learning what feed forward does to tighten up turns at higher speeds.

ummm that first pic is of a simulator, it does not look real to me, I see a picture of your hand and not sure about the middle one, but na its beta alright, nothing really one can say, betaflight is not polished, and at times very flaky. I will be switching to a much better working version like most other people.

Tazman

nope sorry just watched it, my mistake, looks good, but this still does not say anything for betaflight being anything but beta

Tazman

ya sorry didn't realize they were videos till I clicked on it, my bad, unfortunately after working with betaflight and knowing and understanding the team running it, we are all lucky if it works from build to build. there is nothing about beatflight that spells trust, or reliability. you are free to use and trust it if you like, but it has been my experience that there is much better.

Tazman

What experience would that be?

Im down to learn stuff.
I work with beta test software all the time, I do IT for a living for over 35 years, I have seen my fair share of beta. the programing team is inherent in ignoring the users, I have spoken to many guys using this software longer than me stating this software is not good and has more holes than pros. I have seen it first hand at flaky during saves and dumps, adding in what it thinks and leaving out what it thinks, it is not consistent at all. Mr. Bardwell has many videos on the issues with Betaflight, I would start there is you wish to learn more. the interface is clunky, if you have ever used polished software you can tell the difference. For bind and fly its ok, they are cheap quads I can see many guys trusting it for that, but for anyone serious in quads I see why they switch to other software. the precision in the other seems more stable, I know some serious quad pilots that all use Kiss. I can see why, at first I thought it was just old boy preference, but not any more, betaflight is simply not the best. I think butterflight and cleanflight may even have an edge. I have no experience as of yet, but I think I will start to use them, I am not s betaflight supporter at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.