Need some help with electronics.

Hektor

I built my first scratch build (Baby Blender V2) but I am having some electrical problems.

When I hook everything up to center the servos and tighten the linkage stoppers, the power to the receiver cuts out and stops receiving input from the radio.

Everything seem to work fine if I have only 2 servos hooked up at any given time. Ailerons & Rudder, or Elevator & Rudder, or Ailerons & Elevator, but not all three at once. The ESC (30A) spins up the motor just fine. The BEC on the ESC feels pretty warm.

Has anyone else experience these symptoms before?
I have a feeling that the ESC has a faulty BEC on it, like it can't deliver enough power to run all three servos.
But I don't have any other 30A ESCs to swap it out at the moment.

mjmccarron

Check to be sure the control surfaces aren't binding and move freely. Also, make sure it's not the same servo causing the shutdown. Maybe one is shorted? What is the rating of the BEC? It sounds to me like you have something binding and causing excessive current draw.

Mike

KRAR

A 30A ESC should have enough power behind the BEC to control three servos at once.

Here is what I would try
1) each individual servo at a time, so plug in servo 1, test servo one with radio, connect control rod to servo 1, retest servo 1. then dissconnect it from the rod and rx. repeat this for the other two servos. If there are no issues perhaps not a servo issue.

2) connect all three servo to rx without connecting them to the control rod. do they all move, does it shutdown. If they all move then I doubt it is your BEC. If it crashes I would check with a different ESC from a different plane

3) if #2 works then connect one servo at a time to the control rod. Please keep in mind these little servos are the strongest. so I line them up to centre. lightly tighten the screw to hold the control rod in place. unplug battery THEN tighten the piss out of the screw, Other wise you run the risk of overdrawing on the bec and/or stripping your servo.

Just to make sure, the servos are plugged into the rx the correct way, the ESC is plugged in the correct way.

If that doesnt do it I would pull out an ESC out of somthing else to give it a shot...

Hektor

Thanks for the help all. It was the elevator push rod that was binding up ever so slightly. I got it moving better and now it works with all 3 servos plugged in.

Thanks again... Time to go crash it!