Need some tricopter help+ build log

liflyer

Hello every, Im new to the forum.

Some background, i have been flying helicopters (blade 400) for ~6 years and planes (taylorcraft, p-40, tigermoth) about 5 years. Never had much interest in multicopters until recently.

My plan is to build a bat bone, and later fpv it (more on that later). I think im pretty much set on the electronics im going to use for the tricopter (buying enough to make it a v tail bc i want to experiemnt).

The motors i am planning to use are NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 250w
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17345__NTM_Prop_Drive_Series_28_26A_1200kv_250w.html

ESC: TURNIGY Plush 25amp Speed Controller
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__2163__TURNIGY_Plush_25amp_Speed_Controller.html

Flight Control: KK2 Board

My questions are:
1. Is this an adequate setup for flying a gopro. (i think it is but im always open to input)

2. Do the esc's need to be reprogrammed? Never done this before but from what i see it does not look difficult.

3. How would i set up a return to home fucntion with this setup and how does that work?
If there is a better configuration (fc board) for return to home, by all means please suggest it.

I am a total noob when it comes to multirotor setup so please give me any suggestions or explain your own that is working for you.

Now for the fpv.......this is not the topic of this thread (i will make a dedicated fpv post in that forum later) but I am open to suggestion in that realm to. I am even more lost on fvp electronics and setup than I am on tricopter setup lmao.

Plan is gopro to a 5.8 ghz fatshark system. My concerns are gopro hero 2 reliability for video output, and 5.8 ghz range when just using the googles as the receiver.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
My questions are:
1. Is this an adequate setup for flying a gopro. (i think it is but im always open to input)

2. Do the esc's need to be reprogrammed? Never done this before but from what i see it does not look difficult.

3. How would i set up a return to home function with this setup and how does that work?
If there is a better configuration (fc board) for return to home, by all means please suggest it.

1 - Yes those motors and ESCs, along with the Batbone will lift a Gopro and a VTx.

2- You'll have to do some very minor programming of the ESCs at a minimum. But you can now purchase very low cost and decent quality ESC simonK flashed , like the Afro series ESC from HK.

3- The KK2 does not have any input connection for a GPS RTH hardware. You'll have to go with something like the APM, NAZA, MultiWii, or some other higher cost board.

liflyer

1 - Yes those motors and ESCs, along with the Batbone will lift a Gopro and a VTx.

2- You'll have to do some very minor programming of the ESCs at a minimum. But you can now purchase very low cost and decent quality ESC simonK flashed , like the Afro series ESC from HK.

3- The KK2 does not have any input connection for a GPS RTH hardware. You'll have to go with something like the APM, NAZA, MultiWii, or some other higher cost board.

Thanks!!

I'm not to concerned about return to home at the moment. I will be flying with a Spektrum DX7s and do not plan to fly more than 1,500 to 2,000 feet away. From looking at google maps that is my projected range for anywhwere i want to fly. Any knowledge if this will still be in range for a 2.4ghz rx/tx and 5.8ghz video system?

Having never dabled in this realm of flight I have no knowledge of range/reception.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Should be fine with that setup, but a thorough range check will always be your friend! No need to find an interference source the hard way.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
So far I've found the OrangeRx 6ch and 9ch+sat to be beyond a good bargain. It STILL blows me away you can buy a 6ch DSM2 receiver for $6 that works perfect for basically as far as you can see a good size quad. I've had my large quad 28" P2P so far out (~800 feet) it became scary because it was extremely hard to make out the orientation, and the OrangeRx's had no problem. The DSM2 9ch+sat for $35 is probably good for 5000+ feet, but I have yet to test the full range.

liflyer

Should be fine with that setup, but a thorough range check will always be your friend! No need to find an interference source the hard way.

Fully agree. I have never performed a range test to the end of my signal bc I have yet to have a need to go that far, I usually only fly ~400 feet away at most with no obstacles at my local school field.

This weekend I plan to leave my plane that has a satellite receiver, in my backyard (motor disconnected) with someone watching it and take a stroll through the neighborhood (dense suburban streets) and see how far I get before losing a useable signal. I plan to do the same thing with the eventual FPV gear to find out exactly how far I can get before losing video and judge if it is satisfactory or not.

I just want to avoid buying a system that is known to have short range. I would rather spend more money up front and start with something good, then have to rebuy multiple setups and end up spending more money. :confused: