NEED TECH HELP WITH SPEKTRUM

Alienjohn

Friends, I'm new to the Spektrum technology. My question is if I have a Spektrum transmitter (DXS which came with my Horizon Carbon Cub) will it only bind with othher Spektrum stuff? (receivers, controllers, etc) Or will it bind to any 2.4Mhz equipment? Thanks. Also new here so if I'm in the wrong place please advise.

Corsair714

Hey! Welcome to the forums! Yes, spektrum radios such as your dxs will only work with other spektrum receivers. They won't work with just any 2.4ghz receiver. There are knock off receivers that run the same protocol as spektrum (dsm2 and dsmx). I can get you some links if you're interested. They're quite a bit cheaper then genuine spektrum stuff and they work the same.

Last edited:

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
Friends, I'm new to the Spektrum technology. My question is if I have a Spektrum transmitter (DXS which came with my Horizon Carbon Cub) will it only bind with othher Spektrum stuff? (receivers, controllers, etc) Or will it bind to any 2.4Mhz equipment? Thanks. Also new here so if I'm in the wrong place please advise.
Only Spektrum

Alienjohn

Thanks guys, I was worried that I might be getting locked into "Horizon" when I bought this plane. I have no complaints with the Spektrum gear, just prefer to be able to fly other brands on a single radio.

Corsair714

Thanks guys, I was worried that I might be getting locked into "Horizon" when I bought this plane. I have no complaints with the Spektrum gear, just prefer to be able to fly other brands on a single radio.
Ya, unfortuately you are going to be a little locked into spektrums stuff.

Alienjohn

There are knock off receivers that run the same protocol as spektrum (dsm2 and dsmx). I can get you some links if you're interested. They're quite a bit cheaper the genuine spektrum stuff and they work the same.

So the main thing is that the transmitter(s) must be compatible with the dsm2 and dsmx protocol?
I would indeed appreciate the advice on compatible knock off brands if they are 100% compatible.
But, that would still require that any plane I have has Spektrum receivers etc, is that correct?
Thank you !

mastermalpass

Elite member
I've only really used my Spektrum DX6i and so have only bothered to buy Spektrum receivers. But, the DX6i is compatible with any 'DSM2' or 'DSMX' receiver. And you can get these from Orange RX, but I have yet to see the same from other providers. A quick lookup of your DXS and it looks like yours is on the same compatibility as mine.

Luck you! The DXS is a 7-channel transmitter. You can have a retractable gear, flaps AND the ability to switch the lights on and of or have a toggle-able gyro stabilizer or something. Mine is a 6 channel, and I've yet to outgrow it, I'm just bothered that if I make a plane with flaps retracts and lights, I won't be able to switch them off. My point here is if this is your first receiver, it's gonna take you a long way. :)

Corsair714

So the main thing is that the transmitter(s) must be compatible with the dsm2 and dsmx protocol?
I would indeed appreciate the advice on compatible knock off brands if they are 100% compatible.
But, that would still require that any plane I have has Spektrum receivers etc, is that correct?
Thank you !
Well you can bind your spektrum remote to any receiver that is running either the dsmx or dsm2 protocol. Your transmitter is both dsm2 and dsmx compatible. All you need is a plane with a dsm2 or dsmx receiver.

mastermalpass

Elite member
One more note: all my planes are fitted with the AR6210 receiver. It's an old model but it still appears on Ebay at £10-20 a go. I might switch to Orange RX R615X after I run out of Spektrum receivers and see how well they do. The Orange RX is new and so stock is more consistent and they're cheaper!

Alienjohn

I've only really used my Spektrum DX6i and so have only bothered to buy Spektrum receivers. But, the DX6i is compatible with any 'DSM2' or 'DSMX' receiver. And you can get these from Orange RX, but I have yet to see the same from other providers. A quick lookup of your DXS and it looks like yours is on the same compatibility as mine.

Luck you! The DXS is a 7-channel transmitter. You can have a retractable gear, flaps AND the ability to switch the lights on and of or have a toggle-able gyro stabilizer or something. Mine is a 6 channel, and I've yet to outgrow it, I'm just bothered that if I make a plane with flaps retracts and lights, I won't be able to switch them off. My point here is if this is your first receiver, it's gonna take you a long way. :)

I agree the DXS has enough channels, but the real thing I'm missing is the ability to store models. I won't be flying only one plane going forward so I feel I do need to upgrade to a programmable transmitter, but the cost starts climbing, especially if I want 7 or more channels.

Corsair714

I agree the DXS has enough channels, but the real thing I'm missing is the ability to store models. I won't be flying only one plane going forward so I feel I do need to upgrade to a programmable transmitter, but the cost starts climbing, especially if I want 7 or more channels.
Yes, more channels makes the price go up exponentially.

mastermalpass

Elite member

Oh is it not programable? I was wondering why yours was lacking all the D/R switches mine has. Disappointing. :(

My 6ch Spektrum has been great, but when my planes get more bells and whistles, I will be looking to Orange RX or FlySky for a transmitter with more channels. The greater-channel Spektrum transmitters are too expensive. Some of them even need a minute to boot up 'cause they run on Android. I just want more channels, Spektrum, why can't I get that without also getting the radio-equivalent of an iPad?

Corsair714

OrangeRx Tx10i Mode 2 Int'l Version 10ch 2.4GHz DSM2/DSMX Compatible Radio System
Do you know anything about this model that u can share?
I've heard good stuff about it, but I can't tell you anything about it from personal experience. You'd probably be best off to watch some youtube videos reveiwing it or something.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
One more note: all my planes are fitted with the AR6210 receiver. It's an old model but it still appears on Ebay at £10-20 a go. I might switch to Orange RX R615X after I run out of Spektrum receivers and see how well they do. The Orange RX is new and so stock is more consistent and they're cheaper!

Be aware with some of the OrangeRX receivers, that they've had quality control issues in the past. Some of the earlier DSM2 models were REALLY lousy with signal; I lost a plane in a crash, about 200 ft. out from me, when signal just DROPPED and the plane wouldn't respond. Apparently, someone else had switched on in the pits, and it randomly picked up one of the 2 channels that the OrangeRX receiver was using on the DSM2 frequency (which is why I prefer models that use DSMX, as it will hop throughout the spectrum as opposed to just 2 channels, hence the '2' designation).

I have used some of the newer OrangeRX receivers that are DSMX, and they work much better than the older ones, but it doesn't seem like they're easy to get my hands on - every time I've looked at HobbyKing (which is the only place that sells them, it seems) they're out of stock. Maybe you have better luck than I do with their stock. LOL

I'd personally look at the Lemon RX receivers instead if you want a cheap, rock solid receiver that's not actual Spektrum brand; I've had one in my Strix Nano Goblin that I've been flying for 2 years, using it with FPV and without, and had no problems flying it quite a distance away from me.

As for the Orange Transmitter that was being thrown about, don't do it. Someone showed up at the field with one a while back, and they're cheap. It didn't feel good in my hands, ergonomically, and the sticks felt like they had no resistance to them. I honestly felt like I was using a cheap toy transmitter, like those on the cheap RC cars that you used to see as Christmas gifts every year. And, HobbyKing recently got slapped with fines for selling transmitters that weren't legal for use within the United States since they were actually broadcasting in frequencies used by mobile devices. Trying to use one that might broadcast on the same mobile phone as you have in your pocket, and your plane starts freaking out when you get a call could be messy. Yes, it's cheap, but there are MANY other transmitters that are, I feel, a better buy than these.

Corsair714

Be aware with some of the OrangeRX receivers, that they've had quality control issues in the past. Some of the earlier DSM2 models were REALLY lousy with signal; I lost a plane in a crash, about 200 ft. out from me, when signal just DROPPED and the plane wouldn't respond. Apparently, someone else had switched on in the pits, and it randomly picked up one of the 2 channels that the OrangeRX receiver was using on the DSM2 frequency (which is why I prefer models that use DSMX, as it will hop throughout the spectrum as opposed to just 2 channels, hence the '2' designation).

I have used some of the newer OrangeRX receivers that are DSMX, and they work much better than the older ones, but it doesn't seem like they're easy to get my hands on - every time I've looked at HobbyKing (which is the only place that sells them, it seems) they're out of stock. Maybe you have better luck than I do with their stock. LOL

I'd personally look at the Lemon RX receivers instead if you want a cheap, rock solid receiver that's not actual Spektrum brand; I've had one in my Strix Nano Goblin that I've been flying for 2 years, using it with FPV and without, and had no problems flying it quite a distance away from me.

As for the Orange Transmitter that was being thrown about, don't do it. Someone showed up at the field with one a while back, and they're cheap. It didn't feel good in my hands, ergonomically, and the sticks felt like they had no resistance to them. I honestly felt like I was using a cheap toy transmitter, like those on the cheap RC cars that you used to see as Christmas gifts every year. And, HobbyKing recently got slapped with fines for selling transmitters that weren't legal for use within the United States since they were actually broadcasting in frequencies used by mobile devices. Trying to use one that might broadcast on the same mobile phone as you have in your pocket, and your plane starts freaking out when you get a call could be messy. Yes, it's cheap, but there are MANY other transmitters that are, I feel, a better buy than these.
I mean you're always gonna sacrifice something when you buy something cheap, but as far as functionality the orange rx stuff does work. Mabye not as well as the premium stuff though.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
In the future I would consider a multi protocol tx if you are going to upgrade. Transmitters like the Jumper T-16 and the Radiomaster TX-16 are both pretty good from what I have heard. That are also cheaper than spektrum for the amount of channels that you get and you aren’t locked into anything. Those transmitters can do dsmx (maybe dsm2) and a lot of others, so you are not locked into horizon hobby. Also for receivers I recently tried lemon rx and I like it. They are cheap and work pretty good, also I kinda like the company since they seem to emphasize decreasing plastic waste and stuff (they write it on their very minimal packaging lol). I know a guy who tried orange rx but apparently they gave him issues so I just went to lemon like he suggested and I like it.