Need trainer / bush plane

deutJ

Hey everyone im new to RC planes and am looking for a good bind and fly trainer or something not to hard to put together. I likely will do a bit of snow flying so i was thinking maybe a bush style plane? I was looking at something like a bixler 3 or a Durafly Tundra (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/durafly-tundra-1300mm-arf-green.html?___store=en_us) Really have no idea what i need as a beginner. I already own a transmitter/receiver and charger so i don`t need a full setup. Thanks for the help

MtRcAdventures

I started with the HZ Super Cub....
It is a 3 ch trainer that I highly recomend. You can after learning on it, cut in ailerons, and add some servos, then have a 4 ch easy to fly bush plane. then cut in flaps, and add larger tires, to give it the look... Brushless motor for more power, and run time, 2200 mah 3s lipo, and you have a awesome little bush plane....
Or buy a Timber, Tundra, Maule ect....

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
If your flight experience is minimal I agree with the choice of the Bixler as it has no undercarriage in standard format and can be flown quite slowly for those landings. No undercarriage means less weight!

Fitted with flight stabilization it should make a good first plane. No broken prop if your landing is a little rough and plenty of parts cheaply available.

Have fun!

Spyder91

My answer would depend on what controller you have, but I have to agree with MtRcAdventures
If you have a spektrum, or spektrum compatible, I would suggest the Timber. I have flown this plane many times helping out friends. It flies like a dream, slows down, has some speed, and is very maneuverable. If you have another brand of controller, you could go with the Tundra. I have also flown this plane, and while it is like the Timber, it is not. Still flies good, just not as good. We have even installed the AR636 receiver in the Tundra to allow a side by side comparison, and they don't react the same. This is probably due to the electronics installed in the Tundra and that it weighs slightly more. I have no experience with the HZ Cub, or the Maul so I can't comment on them.

Seahunter

I agree on with Hai-Lee on the Bixler and its forgiving nature as a start. Before you sink a bunch of bucks into an ARF foamy, consider the FT Bushwacker. Its a super performer and you can download the plans and build it cheaply and make it as fancy as you want. It will be easier to repair as you will have the plans and know how up front! Here's my scratch build Bushwacker. I modified the fuselage and rudder slightly, since I always wanted a timber, I put timber wheels on it, about $18 online and made the tail wheel steerable as we have a paved runway at my club. I programed flaperons and I have plans to add slats later to see how slow can she go! I put a "C" pack in It. Water resistant FT foam board painted with Krylon spray paint, stick on monocote graphics and decals that I made on my printer and applied with ModPodge

P4150208A.jpg
P4150208A.jpg

Last edited:

deutJ

My answer would depend on what controller you have, but I have to agree with MtRcAdventures
If you have a spektrum, or spektrum compatible, I would suggest the Timber. I have flown this plane many times helping out friends. It flies like a dream, slows down, has some speed, and is very maneuverable. If you have another brand of controller, you could go with the Tundra. I have also flown this plane, and while it is like the Timber, it is not. Still flies good, just not as good. We have even installed the AR636 receiver in the Tundra to allow a side by side comparison, and they don't react the same. This is probably due to the electronics installed in the Tundra and that it weighs slightly more. I have no experience with the HZ Cub, or the Maul so I can't comment on them.

I have a FrSky DJT tx module so not sure if it's compatible. If not i can always swap in my own receiver. I have a couple hours of flight time on a friends homemade glider and wing but I've never had to dial in trim and set things up so this is new.

deutJ

I agree on with Hai-Lee on the Bixler and its forgiving nature as a start. Before you sink a bunch of bucks into an ARF foamy, consider the FT Bushwacker. Its a super performer and you can download the plans and build it cheaply and make it as fancy as you want. It will be easier to repair as you will have the plans and know how up front! Here's my scratch build Bushwacker. I modified the fuselage and rudder slightly, since I always wanted a timber, I put timber wheels on it, about $18 online and made the tail wheel steerable as we have a paved runway at my club. I programed flaperons and I have plans to add slats later to see how slow can she go! I put a "C" pack in It. Water resistant FT foam board painted with Krylon spray paint, stick on monocote graphics and decals that I made on my printer and applied with ModPodge

View attachment 113652 View attachment 113652 [/QUOTE
Ive built with foamboard before but im not sure i would get the cg right and the servos correctly aligned for the control surfaces. And for my fist plane i want something that just works

jack10525

Lots of good replies and I am just reiterating what others have said. A bixler style plane would be perfect for your situation. The Bushwacker is ok but IMO a little more advanced. It flies slow and will jump off the ground which could be hard to control for a newbie. Also as was said above, you will not break the motor or prop with hard landing in a bixler type plane. I fly a Volantex Ranger pnp that has seen better days. It has been crashed hard at least 30 times but I rebuild it and it still flies.

https://www.banggood.com/Volantex-R...A2EAoPHhUawICFFmcjZnPegtbEu8-bLBoCWbEQAvD_BwE