Need Tx advice for new plane

cloudseeder

so, I decided to go with a P-51 as my second plane (I think starting with a umx radian prompted the urge for overkill). I know it’s likely I’ll destroy it, so I went on banggood and got a cheap RTF Volantex make.
Now that i’ve unboxed, I see it even comes with a toy-looking transmitter (pics of unbox and toy Tx). Obviously I would prefer using my spektrum 6e (for the digital screen and abundant other features). However, the volantex Tx has a 3-way switch for Beginner, Mid, Expert. I believe these are just 3 flight modes with different envelopes for control surface motion. When I bind the plane to the Spektrum 6e Tx, will I need to create these 3 flight modes manually and assign the 3 way switch (I would have to, right?)? Should I bind the ‘toy’ Tx first and measure the extent of control surface motion at each mode first, and replicate that on the Spektrum Tx..? Or are there some pretty well-established margins for beginner/mid/expert flight modes that any of you could suggest? (Also, should beginner flight mode etc be programmed with certain channel mixes to help avoid maiden-flight carnage?)
Thanks in advance for your help!
88C4F9FC-8847-4927-88DA-96B39D49F5CB.jpeg C20D415E-29E2-46AE-BB82-FD55B27308D8.jpeg

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Well, the firs issue is that spektrum uses dsmx and dsm2 protocol, and it won’t even bind if your other tx uses any other protocol. Also, you can just use rates and expo to dial in the plane how you like unless it has a gyro in it.

cloudseeder

Well, the firs issue is that spektrum uses dsmx and dsm2 protocol, and it won’t even bind if your other tx uses any other protocol. Also, you can just use rates and expo to dial in the plane how you like unless it has a gyro in it.
The DSM- matter hadn’t even occurred to me! I guess i’ll have to try to see if it works or not. I’m not trying quite yet... I’m still figuring out how to properly secure the prop (there are more nuts than imagined, and a washer - why the washer? :confused:)
Anyway, Yes - I do believe it has a basic gyro.
Also, you mentioned rates; although it may be irrelevant if I can’t bind my spektrum tx, could you clarify what you mean by rate?

FDS

Elite member
Its very unlikely to be a DSMX protocol in that system.
Rates means the ammount of control surface movement in a given setting, usually you get low rates (limited surface movement) high rates (more surface movement) and unlimited, which is simply however far the servo can throw.
Setting up rates profiles on planes without stabilisers etc can help you to fly more smoothly and avoid over controlling.
The washer stops the nut being pulled through the centre of the prop under load or cracking the prop hub, it goes between the prop nut and prop.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
The DSM- matter hadn’t even occurred to me! I guess i’ll have to try to see if it works or not. I’m not trying quite yet... I’m still figuring out how to properly secure the prop (there are more nuts than imagined, and a washer - why the washer? :confused:)
Anyway, Yes - I do believe it has a basic gyro.
Also, you mentioned rates; although it may be irrelevant if I can’t bind my spektrum tx, could you clarify what you mean by rate?

Dual Rates/Expo, in the Spektrum radios, but it carries over to other brands under slightly different names. Basically, you can set how radical the elevator, rudders, and ailerons are. The faster you go, the less throw you want, as the plane reacts faster and more violently, and it'll feel completely out of control. But, for slower flights or for doing 3D aerobatics, you'll want more throw/higher rates so that the plane will react more.

Reactions: FDS

cloudseeder

Its very unlikely to be a DSMX protocol in that system.
Rates means the ammount of control surface movement in a given setting, usually you get low rates (limited surface movement) high rates (more surface movement) and unlimited, which is simply however far the servo can throw.
Setting up rates profiles on planes without stabilisers etc can help you to fly more smoothly and avoid over controlling.
The washer stops the nut being pulled through the centre of the prop under load or cracking the prop hub, it goes between the prop nut and prop.
I’m guessing the washer goes on the side of the propeller facing the brushless engine, yes? Sorry, first time mounting a prop...

FDS

Elite member
It usually goes on the outside of the prop to stop the prop nut torquing against the prop.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
This model has a clip on prop to reduce the chance of the gearbox being broken if it crashes. I believe the radio protocol is not at all standard and even the multi-protocol radio modules are yet to support it :(