Need your opinions!

James Powell

So I finished the frame and body of my new skimmer (except for paint and water proofing). The frame is made from wooden yard sticks from Lowe's and the foam is from Dollar Tree (Yes the floats are design of the Flite Test crew made for the FT Simple Cub). This will be for both water and land. My question for everyone is; should I go with a single electric motor or a double with differential thrust? Let me know what you think and the pros and cons of each setup.

Skimmer.jpg

Captain Video

I am not sure the hot glue or epoxy will be strong enough to hold the yard sticks to the foamy parts. you might want to bolt them on. Additionally, depending how rough the surface on which you are traversing the yardsticks may not be sturdy enough. I will keep watching to see what everyone thinks! Fly On~!~

James Powell

I am not sure the hot glue or epoxy will be strong enough to hold the yard sticks to the foamy parts. you might want to bolt them on. Additionally, depending how rough the surface on which you are traversing the yardsticks may not be sturdy enough. I will keep watching to see what everyone thinks! Fly On~!~
Everything is hot glued together. I had the same concerns, but it seems to be holding together nicely. Also, I went with the yardsticks instead of something more rigid so there would be a little give when it goes on land. Thought it would act as a suspension. Will definitely consider something more than just hot glue though. Thanks for your thoughts!

Paracodespoder

Elite member
I’d do a single motor, two just seems overkill on something like this, I’ve built several little snow vehicles similar to that and with enough rudder throw they all work pretty well with just one motor. Good luck 👍.

James Powell

I’d do a single motor, two just seems overkill on something like this, I’ve built several little snow vehicles similar to that and with enough rudder throw they all work pretty well with just one motor. Good luck 👍.
Since you have built some, what size motor and battery would you suggest?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Fun project!

I'd lean in favor of dual motors though - then you don't have to worry about any waterproofing on the servo or the hinge line coming apart with moisture exposure.