Needing advice

Redbeard75

Hello all I'm new to the forums this will be my first post any how I'm here in central Florida just started learning how to fly my son showed me some flite test videos and we started building some planes ended up building alot of different types of planes then we got some internals and made a couple flyable started with the I believe it's called ft flyer crashed up 3 of them real good then moved to the ft22 had lots more success with this airframe but then I had a stroke that has affected my right arm pretty bad I can move the arm but not really use it for anything so here I am not sure where or what to do to be able to keep learning to fly the closest private feild is over an hour away and specify what plane you can use for them to teach you with but now that I only got one arm is there options out there for me to learn on

BayDesigns

Hello all I'm new to the forums this will be my first post any how I'm here in central Florida just started learning how to fly my son showed me some flite test videos and we started building some planes ended up building alot of different types of planes then we got some internals and made a couple flyable started with the I believe it's called ft flyer crashed up 3 of them real good then moved to the ft22 had lots more success with this airframe but then I had a stroke that has affected my right arm pretty bad I can move the arm but not really use it for anything so here I am not sure where or what to do to be able to keep learning to fly the closest private feild is over an hour away and specify what plane you can use for them to teach you with but now that I only got one arm is there options out there for me to learn on
I can't speak to much in this post, but I do have this to say: as you work on figuring this out, consider that you don't necessarily have to go to an RC club field- sure, if you're looking to fly gassers or giant scale, that's the way to go, but if you just want to fly electric foamie park flyers, there's probably an open grassy area closer to you. Best of luck!

Redbeard75

I can't speak to much in this post, but I do have this to say: as you work on figuring this out, consider that you don't necessarily have to go to an RC club field- sure, if you're looking to fly gassers or giant scale, that's the way to go, but if you just want to fly electric foamie park flyers, there's probably an open grassy area closer to you. Best of luck!
No I was going to the local baseball feild when no one was there and plan to keep doing that unless I can't figure out how to proceed with the one arm

Tench745

Master member
If you fly smaller, hand-launched, 3-channel planes, it's possible to reach over, set the throttle, and then have elevator and either rudder or ailerons on just the one stick. There are also specialty radios with all the controls on one stick for people who don't have use of both hands.

Reactions: NUB

Redbeard75

Right on thanks for the advice on the 3 channel planes , as far as one handed controller or transmitter I've looked quite a bit and only found transmitters that people have modified or home built , but I will start practicing on the PC with 3 channel

BayDesigns

Don't know if they're out there but I'm imagining a HOTAS-type setup with a flight sim stick that has all the buttons on it. Would need to adjust throttle from time to time but you could trim it out to be stable while you make that power change. Just a thought.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I've got a FrSky Taranis X9D Plus. It's a little old now, but it's got lots of buttons and switches and channels and runs Open TX. What that means is you can literally program any switch or lever to do anything you want, and there's lots of them.

I've got a little rocker on each side just below the sticks. With Open TX you could program the left stick to be your elevator and ailerons and the little rocker for the throttle, which you can reach without taking your thumb off the left stick. Hang the transmitter from a lanyard (which is how I fly, anyway) and you're right arm/hand would only have to hold the transmitter steady just to make things a little easier.

Just ignore the rudder. Once again, that's how I fly, anyway. ;)

mastermalpass

Elite member
Not sure what hotas is but I'll sure do some research on it

Hands
On
Throttle
And
Stick

It means most of the buttons you need are either on the stick or the throttle quadrant. I'd say, if you're down a whole hand, you'll want to break your transmitter apart and set yourself up with a seat, where you have peddles for your rudder. Then for the throttle you can have a nice big lever that doesn't need much dexterity to use. FliteTest did this to make an immersive FPV cockpit, so I do know it's doable, just not sure how hard it would be.