Needing Motor and Receiver advice.

Toby_Warren

Hi, I've just been given an rc plane to build, it has all the servos, but requires a motor and receiver, the only issue is, I know nothing about motors and not too much about receivers.

I know i need a 4 channel receiver, and a fairly large motor since well... just look at how big the model plane is.
Basically i just want some recommendations on a motor that fits and a receiver that would work on these servos...

Thanks in advance.
20190226_153749.jpg
20190226_153833.jpg
20190226_153857.jpg
20190226_153825.jpg

JennyC6

Elite member
Judging by the shape of the nose, I'd almost be willing to bet that thing's not supposed to use a motor at all, rather, that it'd fly like a dream on a 40-size two stroke glow mill. And if it were my plane that's what I'd go with, slap an OS 46AX in the nose and be done with it.

Do you know the specific model name of the airframe? Wingspan? Takeoff weight estimate?

Toby_Warren

Judging by the shape of the nose, I'd almost be willing to bet that thing's not supposed to use a motor at all, rather, that it'd fly like a dream on a 40-size two stroke glow mill. And if it were my plane that's what I'd go with, slap an OS 46AX in the nose and be done with it.

Do you know the specific model name of the airframe? Wingspan? Takeoff weight estimate?
I don't know the specifics, as I was given it half built, from what i was told though it IS supposed to be for an electric motor
The wing size is aprox 177cm
The body size is aprox 125cm from the nose to the end of the tail.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
She's a nice big birdie! Do you have specific props for her and any idea what the current airframe weight is?

JennyC6

Elite member
I don't know the specifics, as I was given it half built, from what i was told though it IS supposed to be for an electric motor
The wing size is aprox 177cm
The body size is aprox 125cm from the nose to the end of the tail.
That 'cheeky' nose is what makes me think it's supposed to be glow, as that's a very common way for aircraft to have some semblance of a cowl yet allow easy access to the engine for startup, servicing, adjustments, and for cooling/exhaust clearance. Electric planes typically don't need any of that and so they'd get a full cowl instead. 'Course an E-motor will fly it just fine, but you might have to modify the fuse a bit to make the battery fit properly. And it's gonna need a big battery to feed the big motor you'll need.

I'm a bit hazy on exactly what to use, given I'm a nitro nut, but if I were to go electric on a plane that size I'd look into something in the 40-40 to 40-60 size. This one would do the trick. Constant output for it is 1100 watts, which is right about the full throttle output of a glow engine typically used in a craft of that size. You'll want a suitable ESC for it...I'd use an 80a on it instead of the 60a that the motor calls for just to give you some headroom as working an ESC at its max capacity will not lead to a long and happy life for said ESC...an 11x5 prop(Your plane is only 3 or 4 inches wider in wingspan than my balsa plane and it calls for an 11x5 as well), and for batteries I'd dip into the car side of things and pick up a pair of softcase 3s 50c 5000mAh packs alongside a series connector to give you 6s at the ESC. Doing this for your flight battery also makes it easier to find room for the packs in there, as car batteries tend to be much more standardized in sizing and you can place each pack somewhere different as the airframe necessitates.

That'd get it flying well enough I think. I welcome someone far more experienced with brushless aircraft than I to correct me, however, if I messed something up here.