Negative or Positive Exponential?

Mikeflight

I listen to Josh on the shows talking about the percentage of exponential he adds for his planes. Having never used exponential on any planes I fly, could anyone tell me if it is Negative or Positive Exponential for smoother flying? My radio has Negative and Positive exponential so I am a bit confused. As I said, I have never used exponential. Could anyone give me some guidelines please? I am assuming that negative makes it less sensitive and positive would make it more sensitive to control inputs. Would just like to be sure before trying exponential. Thanks:p

Corbarrad

Positive exponential makes the reaction of the servo to command intputs "softer" around the neutral position while still allowing for full throw towards the respective maximums.
Adding expo will not change your total throws. that's what dual rates are for. Center stick will aways be 0% deflection while full stick movement will always result in 100% deflection regardless of the Expo.
The higher you set your positive expo the more precise you will be able to control minimal motions with the drawback of having less resolution left for the high end of your control movements.

Some of the more docile planes don't need expo at all because their throws are so limited you will have enough resolution throughout the range even with dumb thumbs like mine.
I like to add around 30% expo on all axes for most "advanced" fixed wing aircraft, maybe 50% on roll for particularly squirrely ships but tht's just personal preference.
I guess expo can be a hindrance for high precision "snap" maneuvers like four point rolls and stuff, but I tend not to do them anyway.

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I use the Turnigy TGY-i6 A2 and for my expo settings it must be negative.

Go for what it does and not whether it is called positive or negative!

Have fun!

jamesppp

Jamesppp
Futabas expo protocol makes more sense to me, use negative expo to have less sensitivity around center stick and positive expo to have more.

I fly my 450-700 helis with Futaba and all my planes and small bnf blade helis w/Spektrum