Nemesis NXT Turboprop in foamboard!

OliverW

Legendary member
Now that I have figured out how to actually make decent-ish planes, I thought it would be a good idea to stuff an old B-Pack in this thing and just cruise and go fastish. The plan is a 26" Wingspan. And do you guys have any idea on how to make the exhaust on this? Here is the 3-view I am using.
d0a4d643d95435cc2c7f3084286aa20e.png
d0a4d643d95435cc2c7f3084286aa20e.png

OliverW

Legendary member
Another option would be to 3D-print them. While it wouldn't work for everybody, might be a nice option. Wouldn't be hard to design. I could put something together if you're interested.
I would love that. I will throw together plans, maiden it and see what happens first.

OliverW

Legendary member
Ugh. AutoCAD will not let me do an angle less than 5 degrees for the fuselage shape. Any tips?

Horseman3381

Ugh. AutoCAD will not let me do an angle less than 5 degrees for the fuselage shape. Any tips?

Autocad can do angles up to basicaly an infinite number of decimal places. At least I'm my experience I remember have used up to .0001 before (for work, not plane plans). What do you mean by it wont let you do an angle less than 5 degrees? Do you maybe have the polar setting on that snaps to 5 degree incriment angles? Or are you attempting to rotate a line and it wont take inputs of less than 5 degrees? You could also have the dimension tolarances set so it will only display an angle in 5 degree increments even though it could be drawn as something imbetween.

If you could give a little more info on the issue you are having hopefully we can figure out what is up.

OliverW

Legendary member
Autocad can do angles up to basicaly an infinite number of decimal places. At least I'm my experience I remember have used up to .0001 before (for work, not plane plans). What do you mean by it wont let you do an angle less than 5 degrees? Do you maybe have the polar setting on that snaps to 5 degree incriment angles? Or are you attempting to rotate a line and it wont take inputs of less than 5 degrees? You could also have the dimension tolarances set so it will only display an angle in 5 degree increments even though it could be drawn as something imbetween.

If you could give a little more info on the issue you are having hopefully we can figure out what is up.
Ok. Thanks. It only will let me do 5 degrees of angle or it will snap back to level.

Horseman3381

Ok. Thanks. It only will let me do 5 degrees of angle or it will snap back to level.

If that is the case then you likely have the polar setting on. You can hit F10 to turn it off. Also make sure you don't accidentally turn ortho on (F8) or else you will be snapping to 90 degree increments.

Depending on what version of AutoCAD you have there is a tool bar in the lower right side of the screen where you can adjust the settings and toggle them on and off as well.

Polar Ortho.jpg

If that doesn't work let me know and I can look further into it.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
You could make the cowl a removable piece that gets added once the motor is installed. This is what I did for the Gee Bee R3, the cowl was too narrow for the motor, so I just attached it after the motor was mounted.

16 - Ready 1.JPG

Mad_Mechanic

@SquirrelTail - Just thought I might chime in with some ideas for the exhaust pipes.

In the spirit of cheap, commonly available materials, what about using cardboard tube (like the middle of a paper towel roll) or perhaps some thin wall PVC pipe (like Schedule 10 or schedule 20 PVC)?

I've read/heard that with careful application of heat you can make PVC pipe pliable enough to form/bend and work with.

Just some ideas.

Really like what you are doing and the build is looking great so far!

OliverW

Legendary member
@SquirrelTail - Just thought I might chime in with some ideas for the exhaust pipes.

In the spirit of cheap, commonly available materials, what about using cardboard tube (like the middle of a paper towel roll) or perhaps some thin wall PVC pipe (like Schedule 10 or schedule 20 PVC)?

I've read/heard that with careful application of heat you can make PVC pipe pliable enough to form/bend and work with.

Just some ideas.

I like that idea with the toilet paper tubes!!! I will do that. I can't figure out how to get that beautiful round cowl shape..

Paracodespoder

Elite member

Just some ideas.

Yup, pvc is very easy to work with if you have a heat gun, easy enough you can make a nice pvc recurve bow in under an hour :D.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I like that idea with the toilet paper tubes!!! I will do that. I can't figure out how to get that beautiful round cowl shape..

It's hard to say without seeing what your current plans look like. Here is a quick mockup of the front of the plane based on your dimensions (26 inch wingspan, B-pack motor). There seems to be plenty of room to mount the motor such that the prop matches the base of the spinner (not sure if you were planning on adding a scale spinner to the motor). You could use foamboard with the paper removed from the inside and two formers to produce the round shape - kinda like the approach Alex took with the Fortnite Plane.
Note that at this scale the exhausts are just over 1/2 inch diameter so a toilet roll insert might be a little on the large side (you could cut it down and re-roll it I suppose).

Mockup with B-pack.jpg

Any pics of your current AutoCAD model?

OliverW

Legendary member
It's hard to say without seeing what your current plans look like. Here is a quick mockup of the front of the plane based on your dimensions (26 inch wingspan, B-pack motor). There seems to be plenty of room to mount the motor such that the prop matches the base of the spinner (not sure if you were planning on adding a scale spinner to the motor). You could use foamboard with the paper removed from the inside and two formers to produce the round shape - kinda like the approach Alex took with the Fortnite Plane.
Note that at this scale the exhausts are just over 1/2 inch diameter so a toilet roll insert might be a little on the large side (you could cut it down and re-roll it I suppose).

View attachment 124030

Any pics of your current AutoCAD model?
That looks amazing! I am not sure what happened to the drawing. I had the wings and the fuse almost done. I will try to get new plans started in a bit.