Never flown an RC plane before :)

Havak37

Brand new to RC planes
Hey 4U2NVME, thanks for the welcome. Everyone has been really...welcoming here hah.

Congratulations on your three successful flights and getting a handle on this piloting thing. It sounds like your first planes were on the fast side at 2200kv motors. Mine are only 1000kv and have slow props. I have pretty good protection on the props being on the wings and I can crash nose first and not hit a prop.

You assume correctly. I am the first aviator in my surroundings so no buddy box or help, other than the FT video's and others like it. It will be awhile before I am flying. I will go slow and I am a fast learner so it should be fine.

Havak37

Brand new to RC planes
IMG_20171227_182751167.jpg

Redflier I am having fun building

26024039_10210828297565978_5121717003861201741_o.jpg

Last edited:

Havak37

Brand new to RC planes
All done!

26114438_10210847493565866_7377073194340632837_o.jpg

Well as far as making improvements on the design it is pretty much awesome already. I could really tell how much work they put into making this plane. :)

4U2NVME

Hey Havak, congrats on the build!! I like to see you are honest with yourself... you brought lots of props ;) AAAhhhh range test... good job...I guess I gotten lucky so far.

What size of battery did you fly with, even if in the air, would you of gotten about 4 or 5 mins? Thanks for sharing the video and the laughs, make sure to put up your successful ( positive thoughts ) first flight.

-NV

Havak37

Brand new to RC planes
That was a 3s 2600 battery, but it was storage charge minus whatever juice I used testing engines and servo's. it was like 3.75 volts out of 4.2 so like one third battery hah. Not sure about flight times so far. But I will get those times and battery prop combos posted when I get that far. I read somewhere that my voltage alarm would shut the engines off when it got to the 3.3 volts I had set, so I was just messing around on the ground to see after the beeps if I only had control surfaces and no engines or how long I had to get it down. Since I have never had anything LiPo powered before.

Havak37

Brand new to RC planes
Hey Havak, congrats on the build!! I like to see you are honest with yourself... you brought lots of props ;) AAAhhhh range test... good job...I guess I gotten lucky so far.

What size of battery did you fly with, even if in the air, would you of gotten about 4 or 5 mins? Thanks for sharing the video and the laughs, make sure to put up your successful ( positive thoughts ) first flight.

-NV

The 2600 mAh proved to be plenty of battery for my time in the air.

Havak37

Brand new to RC planes
My first foam airplane repair. I was worried about having to hot glue two tails at the same time, but then I just glued in some flat pieces to act as a guide and also reinforce it. put it kind of in place. hot glued around the extensions as fast as I could and then slid the tails down and held it until it cooled and scraped the excess with a spare piece of foam board as it squeezed out. Lucky for me the brake was outside the elevator servo area so I didn't have to redo the throw rod length. I didn't know what to do for the wrinkled up crumple zone that used to be the nose so I just hot glued it back together the best I could. I think I may cut it off in the future and redo it off the pattern if a future crash doesn't make it a mute point.

Havak37

Brand new to RC planes
So after I repaired the Sea Duck I charged up the batteries and took it to work. It got real windy by the time I could fly it at lunch, but I was already there. The plane was there. And I mean I had charged batteries....I have to fly it right? Mind you I had only ten seconds of RC flight experience so far which resulted in a really hard crash. I have been using Real Flight 8 simulator because I have a USB receiver for my Spektrum so I can practice flying a plane back toward myself with my actual transmitter that I use to fly the plane. And it saved my bacon. So many times in 54 second flight I would have crashed and burned if I hadn't been logging so much flight time in the simulators challenge mode flying through cones in a race, or through hoops, or popping balloons. I am still really really green and I have a lot to learn. But I think on a calm day I could successfully putter around in a relatively flat circle and land.

Havak37

Brand new to RC planes
Video playlist of some flights. I hit a power line with the Sea Duck right on the prop breaking it, after replacing the prop and unruffling some feathers it was back in the air and seemed fine. Although it wants to nose up in the air and I have to give it alot of forward stick every since I painted it.