• DJI E800

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cobra CM-2814 KV470

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

bradenr

I need some help with my new build. I just got in the BrainFPV FC in the mail yesterday and now i need to get my frame so i can figure out what other electronics im going to need. I want around 20 min flight times and i will be running FPV and GPS so i need to make sure im able to spread out the FPV and GPS so i dont get signal issues. Im also going to be running EzUHF on my DX8. Let me know what you guys think would be some good frames. I have looked at the CineTank MK2-L and the Tarot FY650. Im not limited to the quad. I could run a hex or other figurations if i need to. I just what a larger enough frame to carry my equipment and to get me some long flight times.
Thanks

Quad

Which camera are you carrying?

Options for frames:

mini-H 250 quad. Very durable. GoPro in a pinch (actually can be good if done right). Super Durable.
300mm h-quad or hex. These are more durable then the larger quads and may be all you need.

Then the CineTank etc...

HawkMan

gimbal you'll need at least a 450-500 frame, if it's going to be mostly forward a spider config is probably best.

a 650 should give longer flight times and hex or octa should give more redundancy, which is good with such expensive hardware. for a hex you could go with a Y or T 6 to have more open front view, with octa you could do a spider config X8.

nilsen

Hey Bradenr,

I'm running the Tarot 690 hex with 790 motors and 13 inch props.

I also ran 980kv motors with 10, then 11, then 12 inch props, all with a gopro and gimbal.

I feel my current setup is the most efficient out of the different variants.

FY680 with gimbal and gopro
70kv multistars
13x38 CF props
4s 6200 mAh battery gives about 15 minutes of mixed flight time, with 12000mAh well over 20 minutes.

Also to note is fully laden it govers at around 35% throttle so it has a lot of headroom.

I decided on the hex for the redundancy factor as I didn't want it falling out the sky.

I saw a quad on the tarot frame with huge 17 inch props and it was also very efficient however with no redundancy.

Let me know if you need more info.

The dude at RCtestFlight made this really cool quad with which he achieved very long flight time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5zYxS68b7o

Cheers

bradenr

I'm running the Tarot 690 hex with 790 motors and 13 inch props.
FY680 with gimbal and gopro
70kv multistars

I have looked at the 680 pro. There are just to many frames out there to pick from hahah. But you say your running the 690 Hex but then say the FY680. Which frame are you running and then your motors...70kv??? can you link me to the motors your using.
Thanks

nilsen

Sorry, that was a typo... I was in a conference call while replying so I do apologise for the mistakes.

It's the FY680 folding hex, they state max 12 inch props but 13 are absolutely fine with more than enough clearance.

The motors are these:
Turnigy Multistar 3525-850KV (hobbyking)

I also have much larger 320 KV's which I tried on the hex but they were just too big, I ordered those when I knew very little and had some spare cash. They can spin some truly large blades so I'm going to make a larger hex for carrying DSLR etc.
This is the frame I would get as the folding part is a little gimmiky so I would prefer a frame which folds up like the DJI-S1000
but this is too big for the gopro, it's complete overkill.

http://www.fpvmodel.com/tarot-x6-hexacopter-umbrella-folding-arm-w-electronic-landing-gear-tl6x001_g829.html

bradenr

I have been doing alot of thinking and there are so many frames out there, its a hard decision and i dont know if i just want to build a larger frame or a smaller in the range of 400-500 or just go with a 600 size build.....Hmmmm to many factors

HawkMan

well remember that bigger is generally better for AP, more stable and less affected by wind and such due to mass allowing the gimbal to take care of what little there is.

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
Have you looked at the QAV400 or QAV500? Not sure what the pros and cons are compared to the Cinetank.

Edit: never mind. I see that you've narrowed it down to the two Tarots.

Last edited:

bradenr

Have you looked at the QAV400 or QAV500? Not sure what the pros and cons are compared to the Cinetank.

From watching videos and reading all over if feel the Cinetank and similar(QAV) are more PFV machines. I really want something super stable for aerial photography. For fun FPV flying i have my warpquad and Blackout

Stole

I had a look around and some of the Quanum and Tarot frames look nice.
Quanum 680UC Pro Hexa-Copter Umbrella Carbon (Kit)
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__55889__Quanum_680UC_Pro_Hexa_Copter_Umbrella_Carbon_Kit_.html
Tarot 680PRO HexaCopter Folding Frame 3K Carbon
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor..._HexaCopter_Folding_Frame_3K_Carbon_KIT_.html
You would be able to lift a DSLR with these but perfect for a gopro. If you are doing gopro footage, you don't probably don't need something that big.
Turnigy H.A.L. (Heavy Aerial Lift) Quadcopter Frame 585mm
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor...Heavy_Aerial_Lift_Quadcopter_Frame_585mm.html
These are great for gopros and its easy to fit a gimbal on as well. I got one my self lifts a gopro fine fpv fine and i'm getting DJI Naza-m lite soon for it.
But you can get any quad just make sure it can lift the weight. They also have a thing called camera gimbal drop where it keeps your propellers and legs and that out of the way
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__68814__H_King_Camera_Gimbal_Drop_For_Propeller_Free_View.html

Remember start out small then work your way up.
Hope ya have fun though :D

nilsen

Ok i have it down to two frames. Which one should i get. Tarot 680 Pro or the Tarot FY650

You can put larger motors and props on the Quad or have the redundancy of the hex.
Which you want is up to you but maybe this will help (it made my choice for hex or octa easier).
When building a hex you have to repeat everything 6 times, with the quad, only 4 :)

HawkMan

would you rather repeat everything 6 times, or repeat everything 4 times over again to replace broken arms and motors and buy a new gopro4 because it and the gimbal was crushed in the crash when a motor or prop broke ? ;)

nilsen

Exactly...

That's why I chose the hex and with my future AP biulds would always use a frame with some sort of redundancy.

This is my hex with smaller 12 inch props after an ESC failure.