New Aeronautical N00b

After getting hooked on RC warbirds videos on YouTube, I decided to get in to this hobby a few weeks ago. My first plane was a Hobby Zone Champ. On about the third flight, after I'd become confident I could fly it, somehow it caught in a huge updraft and disappeared in about 30 seconds. By the altitude it had attained by the time it left my view, I'm pretty confident it made it to at least South Dakota before finally coming down to Mother Earth.

It was pretty depressing. I mean, even bad pilots at least have the wreckage of their planes to take home after flying. All I had was a transmitter and an empty box. Too stupid to grasp that this hobby is way beyond me, I bought a Hobby Zone Sport Cub s. The weather has been too windy/rainy/cold to try to fly it, but when I make my first maiden with it my sole goal will be to get it back to the ground so I can take it home, even if it's a pile of debris when I'm done.

While waiting for the weather to change, I purchased a Lanyu P-51D Mustang, an FMS 800mm Zero, and a TopRC hawker Hurricane. All were pretty simple to assemble and am really looking forward to getting them in the air. The Sport Cub s is strictly for training, although I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun with it too. I got my son interested and he's getting a Sport Cub s so we can fly them together.

Just starting to realize that RC flying is more than just flying, it's the introduction to a great family of fellow plane flyer and build enthusiasts, and that's really cool. I've met a few people at the little park I'll be doing most of my flying at and it's a good group of guys. Glad I happened upon that first RC video and looking forward to a lot of fun times.

kacknor

Build another!
After getting hooked on RC warbirds videos on YouTube, I decided to get in to this hobby a few weeks ago. My first plane was a Hobby Zone Champ. On about the third flight, after I'd become confident I could fly it, somehow it caught in a huge updraft and disappeared in about 30 seconds. By the altitude it had attained by the time it left my view, I'm pretty confident it made it to at least South Dakota before finally coming down to Mother Earth.

It was pretty depressing. I mean, even bad pilots at least have the wreckage of their planes to take home after flying. All I had was a transmitter and an empty box. Too stupid to grasp that this hobby is way beyond me, I bought a Hobby Zone Sport Cub s. The weather has been too windy/rainy/cold to try to fly it, but when I make my first maiden with it my sole goal will be to get it back to the ground so I can take it home, even if it's a pile of debris when I'm done.

While waiting for the weather to change, I purchased a Lanyu P-51D Mustang, an FMS 800mm Zero, and a TopRC hawker Hurricane. All were pretty simple to assemble and am really looking forward to getting them in the air. The Sport Cub s is strictly for training, although I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun with it too. I got my son interested and he's getting a Sport Cub s so we can fly them together.

Just starting to realize that RC flying is more than just flying, it's the introduction to a great family of fellow plane flyer and build enthusiasts, and that's really cool. I've met a few people at the little park I'll be doing most of my flying at and it's a good group of guys. Glad I happened upon that first RC video and looking forward to a lot of fun times.

Welcome to the addiction! You seem all in with both feet. I can fully express my understanding about not even having wreckage to carry home. While not admitting to anything, somebody close to me (see in the mirror close) once had a Horizon 200QX quad at too excessive altitude only to have it lost in the sky, never to be seen again. It was better when the CAR rolled over it's replacement. At least I had... Hmm... HE had parts to repair and make fly again. ;)

Fly that Cub until you can turn off the SAFE completely then fly it like you stole it and land again before trying some of the others. Get tape, CA, kicker, hot glue, small tools and a work space to repair the both the Cubs and others when you ignore the advice. LOL

JD

Thanks for the welcome

Appreciate the holler back, and yes, I'm already totally addicted. My little Sport Cub S has suffered some indignities since I last posted, forcing me to cool my heels and look forlornly at my warbirds while a part arrives for the Cub. I understand the pain and sorrow of your..."friend" and his lost aerial toys.

I can't wait to get this Cub tamed so I can move on up. I'd like to think it won't be that long before graduation day, but I know I still have a lot more to learn. I've had to make some significant repairs already, so at least I'm already getting proficient at putting the pieces back together. That's a skill I'm certain I'll be getting a lot of use out of.

Jugsy

First few big mistakes can hurt, as I'm sure we all know... hang in there though, mastering a plane really is a great feeling!