New and can't get off the ground

Greg C

I bought a Simple Cub kit for my grandsons and after one delay after another have finally gotten it together and ready to go. The kit we purchased from Flite Test includes a Spektrum DXe controller, Spectrum AR620 receiver, Lumenier Lithium Polymer battery, and FT2212B motor.

We went to a local parking lot to get the hang of the control by just driving around the parking lot. Never went up in the air, no crashes. After about 15 minutes the prop motor stopped working. Battery was charged and elevator and rudder still working. I thought maybe the battery was just low but when we got home and put it on the charger it was half charged.
Called flite test and the guy (forget his name, older guy, maybe Kelly) was very helpful and concerned. He decided to send a new motor. New motor in ...same result. No power to prop.
One thing I have noticed that is different since it stopped working is that with the battery connected the plane used to beep every minute or so. It doesn't do that now. Battery is fully charged.

I'm going to make another phone call but thought that I would try to get some input here since it's after hours.
My grandsons have been very patient and are losing faith before we even get it in the air!

Greg C

Have you tried calibrating the esc?
No I haven't. I'm new to this.
I did everything that the build video told me to do...I think. It was fine for about 15 minutes. That's what puzzles me.

Wait a minute. I think that was in the video and if it was I did it.

Last edited:

whackflyer

Master member
I bought a Simple Cub kit for my grandsons and after one delay after another have finally gotten it together and ready to go. The kit we purchased from Flite Test includes a Spektrum DXe controller, Spectrum AR620 receiver, Lumenier Lithium Polymer battery, and FT2212B motor.

We went to a local parking lot to get the hang of the control by just driving around the parking lot. Never went up in the air, no crashes. After about 15 minutes the prop motor stopped working. Battery was charged and elevator and rudder still working. I thought maybe the battery was just low but when we got home and put it on the charger it was half charged.
Called flite test and the guy (forget his name, older guy, maybe Kelly) was very helpful and concerned. He decided to send a new motor. New motor in ...same result. No power to prop.
One thing I have noticed that is different since it stopped working is that with the battery connected the plane used to beep every minute or so. It doesn't do that now. Battery is fully charged.

I'm going to make another phone call but thought that I would try to get some input here since it's after hours.
My grandsons have been very patient and are losing faith before we even get it in the air!
Try flipping all the switches, your throttle may be disarmed. This thread may also help.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
To calibrate the ECS, first remove the prop. You don’t want it starting when you’re not expecting it.
Turn the Tx on & move the throttle to high.
Plug in the battery & wait for the beeps, then move the throttle to low.
Wait for th beeps, then unplug the battery & turn off the Tx
Install the prop & you are good to go.

What you are doing is showing the ESC what high & low throttle looks like.

tamuct01

I'd double-check the throttle cut switch if you set up one. (You set one up for safety, right?) :) The next thing could be a bad ESC. If the control servos work then the BEC (battery eliminator circuit) in the ESC is working, but the actual drive part could be toast. You could also remove the props and connect the ESC to a servo tester to see if it works that way. If it works with a servo tester, then the problem is toward the receiver or transmitter.

Tench745

Master member
Definitely start with the above suggestions to rule out anything simple.

My guess is that the wires from the ESC to the motor were able to touch and fried the speed controller portion of the ESC. I killed my first ESC because I didn't realize the bullet connectors needed to be insulated from one another. A quick wrap of tape or piece of heat-shrink on each connection does the job.

Greg C

Problem seems to be solved. FT sent a new prop motor thinking that may have been the problem. That didn't do it. Then they sent a new ESC. That did the trick and the motor is now working. 2 more days of home schooling and I should be able to take it for a fly.
Thanks for the help.

quorneng

Master member
Greg C
Whilst it is quite possible you may have had a faulty ESC it may also be that "driving around on the ground for 15 minutes" was not that kind to the ESC, particularly as in the Simple Cub kit it does not get very much cooling.
Once you are flying the power is at a constant level most of the time which is actually easier duty for an ESC so the suggestion is - don't drive - fly!