New at scratch build please help

steamshovel

Hi Everyone, we are new at the R.C. thing. After watching Flite Test videos with Josh and Josh, we decided to attempt the Fowl Flier (scratch build). We built the plane while waiting on our electronics to come. So far no problems, however once we recieved our electronics we quickly realized we had forgotten our speed controller. We are also at a loss as to how this stuff all wires together. I guess we assumed there would be a bus bar with push on tabs that labeled each component, but now all we have is a box of stuff with no schematic or wiring diagram. Can anyone please help? Here's what we have so far:
HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servo 8
8X4R Propellers (Standard and Counter Rotating) (6pc)
NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 250w
Turnigy 1300mAh 4S 20C Lipo Pack
HobbyKing HK6S 2.4Ghz FHSS 6Ch Tx & Rx (Mode 1)
Turnigy balancer & Charger 2S-3S
Metal Push Rods M2.2xL300 (10pcs/set)

earthsciteach

Nevermind - see it in the list.

The servos for the ailerons plug into channel 1 on the receiver, if you have a y splitter. If you want to plug each servo independently into the receiver (RX), then they plug into channels 1 and 6. Elevator goes into channel two, esc into channel 3 and rudder into channel 4.

eagle4

some of the things i forgot when i started (only a couple of weeks ago) get some XT-60s, or Deans connectors, so you can solder then to your battery and speed controller, get some bullet connectors so you can solder them to your speed controller and your motor. also, do you have screws to attach the motor to your firewall? (the motor i bougt didnt come with these things)

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
This is so fun
- TX Mode 1 - is is OK if you live in NZ or France where many people use mode 1, but thera are mode 1 users all over the world.
- Battery 4 s - charger 2-3 s
Motor 250W = 25A on 3 S and the battery 20*1,3 = 26A - It is OK according to the numbers but normally not a good selection - i would get a +40C battery if i had a 250W motor.
You need a speed controller (ESC) with BEC of about 30 A rating to be on the safe side.

There are lots of schematics on how to connect the things if you search the site or the net.

steamshovel

Thanks!! everyone for all of your help, this lets us move forward. Eagle4, are the dean connectors or S60s the ones that plug into the recievers?

steamshovel

Thanks!! everyone for all of your help, this lets us move forward. Eagle4, are the dean connectors or S60s the ones that plug into the recievers?

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
All radioequipment has connectors - dont worry about them.
The battery does normally have a (female) connector but you want to connect the battery to your speed controller and the speed controller need the same (male) connetor. Depending on the battery you have it could be Deans, XT 60 or another brand of connector.

There are normally no connectors on the speed controller fitting the 3 motor cables. They can be soldered, fitted with connectors or crimped together. You will know when you have all things needed.

Try this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48MQR3UV7x0

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor

Deans are the big red ones, XT-60 are the yellow big ones. They are both battery (power) connectors. They have two pins. The connectors that plug into the receiver are smaller, usually black, and they are called servo connectors. They have three pins.