New Brit from the UK

shawdreamer

well I suppose the title pretty much covers the essentials:unsure:

Names Lee, Im a Brit in the UK, Im 41, born in Liverpool.

In regards to the hobby I started with ww2 foamie replica's yeeeeeeeeears back but quickly became a multirotor fanatic as the hobby grew.

no real surprises with how it progressed I suppose, started with buying RTFs, then moved onto self builds, then diy builds and ultimately with the increasing popularity of 3d printing I now design from scratch, build, Fly and inevitably crash my own stuff:rolleyes:.

Wont go into much more details about myself as Im pretty sure most dont really give a flying crap (has to be "flying" as appose to your standard "crap" given the subject matter:D), so without further ado.... here's a few of my creations.

Project Sparkie...
20180628_182040.jpg

the names not a coincidence....its shape is based loosely around the Dji Spark but thats were the similarity ends, My current favorite creation, 150mm frame, AUW of around 280g, 2205 2600kv motors, 20a 4in1 esc, Dal q5040 props, naze32 rev6 fc, she's an absolute little flying tank so far (think theres a couple of these zipping about the skies in the US already, aswell as one in Germany).

Twinboard CF250
094676ffa48bf710778b41ad938da21a_preview_featured.jpg

designed and made more as a experimental platform to see what I could come up with if I minimized 3d printed parts and maximized Carbon Fibre parts, true250 H-format, 2306 2600kv motors, RaceKraft 5050 props, CC3dv2 fc, I forget what 4in1 esc I used:oops:, despite it being meant only as a first experimental prototype the original is STill flying over a year later and I regularly chuck it about.

QAV250 Reaper
20180629_080407.jpg

always had a soft spot for the QAV250/Nighthawk frame (very long in the tooth design now but still got life in it), this was my play on creating a low profile more compact version using the original CF plates and arms, been so long since I made it I cant even recall half the hardware spec I used:LOL:

Podracer250 V1
362b3eca35d989463ed93dfdb518c8b5_preview_featured.jpg

One of my first all 3d printed frame designs, I was very pleased and proud of her right upto the point she was viciously set upon by a rogue rabid tree that jumped out and attacked her while she was innocently minding her own business taking a brisk leisure flight through the local woodland...RIP Poddie:cry:....

welcome Podracer v2
2018_04_09_21_54_23.jpg

basically Podracer v1's internals salvaged from the devastation of the totally uncalled for tree assault and transplanted into her new frock to live again:devilish:

The ViceVersa 250
92e0bc24ae2ad5532681cd8351c8e773_preview_featured.jpg

made this design with aerial video in mind (wanted a smaller format semi-cam ship), called it the ViceVersa as it looks exactly the same whether right way up or upside down, gave it lots of flat surfaces and various strapping points so it could accommodate any cam I decided to slap on it. (A Norwegian bloke made himself one of these and proceeded to chase his girlfriend around a field with it so Im happy to know its found productive uses)

the minimlalistic
24a4dfc3c28a2938a15bde8c55060593_preview_featured.JPG

ugly and cluttered BUT thats just how its supposed to be (no really, honestly), this is my test bed frame, used for testing all my hardware setups before there used on my finished designs, its can carry any electronics I might be testing and has the facility to use various arm lengths that can make it anything between 250 - 500 frame format, she's been very useful over the years

Now Im looking Im quickly realising Ive made far to many designs over the years and I could be here all day walking through them so Ill finish up with my current heavy lifter Cam-ship

The H-copter
20180531_214427.jpg

my primary 550mm cam-ship, Its spec is actually quite old and outdated now but thats only because its never gave me reason to update it as its only ever gone wrong when Ive caused it to go wrong:sneaky:, 750kv motors spinning anything between 10" upto 12" props (depending on workload), APM2.8 FC, SimonK K-series 30A escs, recently underwent a frock change from its original frame but thats more because I wanted to update its appearance rather than actually needing it (new frame is made up of ABS/Petg and Carbon Fibre now), with 12" props she'll lift a DSLR with reduced flight time and with a much lighter actioncam she'll happily trundle about the sky on a half hour mission then loyally return like a faithful old dog when she's done eveytime (thankfully though she doesnt have the gas issues a faithful old dog also usually comes with)...
316913eb71edad9250e3026c6b984ff3_preview_featured.JPG
atleast one of these flying about Colorado (iirc) right now.

Think Ill finish up with a snapshot of my current "ready to fly" round-up (or this thread could go on forever)...
20180514_173331.jpg

oh and a link to thingiverse account if anyones interested in grabbing some of the designs....
my toybox

Attachments

• 2018-05-13 17.59.27.jpg
    2018-05-13 17.59.27.jpg
    780 KB · Views: 0

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Hello Lee. I really appreciate your detailed post. I must correct you on one important point though. We actually do appreciate the personal details.

I like your builds quite a lot. I have a Gremlin build that I started way back but am thinking I'd like to redo the frame with the 3D printer I got since. Have you done anything with Inductrix-style prop guards?

Welcome to the forum.
—Jim

shawdreamer

My bad,

Gap filling :-

Was an apprentice joiner/carpenter for the first few years of my working life, went on from their to joining a mechanical engineering firm which after a while I pretty much ended up running for a few years, during my spare time I got into rc flying (mainly wings and epo ww2 reps) but it got put on the back burner as my other hobby (car modifying) took pride of place, I was shortly after poached from my job by Toyota to run one of their engine manufacturing lines, was there till I came out of work to look after my disabled son, due to me being at home more it gave me time to get back into rc and ultimately were I am today... And that's the "nutshell" of me version:)

As for the inductrix gaurds , nope sorry, as fun as they are I've never been a big sub 150mm frame fan, mainly because once theyve got that small there's very little in the way of designing required which if I'm honest is the part of the rc hobby I enjoy the most(even more so than flying the results.... Blasphemy I know:eek:)

Did dabble with a super lightened 3d printed frame for the Eachine e10 a while back but that's about the limit of my delving into the sub 150 realm.

shawdreamer

Thanks. Are you able to share the hobby with your son? Does he enjoy it?
He enjoys sharing my fpv feed when I fly but he's less keen on the actual flying side, I previously made super stable setups for him so he could get in the air with the minimal of control required (very high stability, very low acro capablability) but he still preferred just being on the observer side, now he's 18 he'd rather just sit on his PC and play shooter games:rolleyes:

shawdreamer

before I forget..... another one of my designs some on ere might fiind useful.

DSC00268.jpg

fpv monocle using a Gteng fpv watch.

I made it to get round the fpv restrictions currently enforced in my country, namely the one that states that LOS must be maintained between pilot and vehicle at all times and that during FPV flying a observer with a buddy box must be present.

fortunately the regulation was so hurriedly put into writing that it left a certain degree of breathing space/grey area that left it open to interpretation, for example, aslong as you can LOS your frame you dont need a observer and that LOS only requires a minimum of one eye.....so what I do with the other eye is purely upto me, so I chose to cover my spare eye with a fpv monitor and sometimes "blink" a little longer than usual with my LOS eye:whistle:.

and yes..... you do kinda look like a Borg of startrek when using it..... but thats also kinda cool:D

shawdreamer

Nothing decent enough I'd feel happy about posting up no:D

Havnt really recorded much anything but my fpv feed for a while which is probably due to me not sorting a new actioncam after coming down hard on my last one:oops:

shawdreamer

new version of project sparkie, larger and more builder option friendly...
20180723_224715.jpg

20180723_224742.jpg

size increased from 150mm to 190mm to accomodate untrimmed 5" props
enough internal space to accomodate 4x single esc (upto 20A size'ish wise) & varied builder electronics
motor mounts can accommodate 2305's
camera mount designed round runcam swift 2/3 style cam with ability to tilt upto 45 degrees
tis a bit of a monster on 20A d-shot's:D

shawdreamer

Ive spent the last couple of weeks debating a return to a bit fixed wing flying (havnt flown fixed in years) so I ordered in a nice, simple and cheap wing to cut my teeth on again but in between designing parts for it I went back to some of my older quad designs and decided to revisit an old favorite, The ZMR250 frame.
e8a2f89c-bdb9-1d33-b943-2bb6e1f45e11.jpg

A long time, tried and tested (and often severely beaten and bashed) companion, admittedly I haven't flown one in quite some time but I did have several un-built frames knocking about my workshop so I wiped the design slate clean and started afresh with the intention of making a nice low slung build with more up to date hardware than was available when I was originally flying them.
after a couple of days computer work this was what I came up with...
complete.JPG
exploded.JPG

Christened it the gLowRider (reasons will become clear;)), printed all the white parts in Semi-transparent ABS and vape treated them for strength and to increase their transparent nature, the only exception to this being the arm covers which are Petg (no particular reason other than I had it in black:sneaky:). Gathered a few bits together - Foxeer arrow pro, VTX03, Tattoo 30a f4 AIO and some 2300kv motors and set about slapping it all together.
20180824_015154.jpg
20180824_015013.jpg

note the LED strips (their Ultraviolet) or atleast thats what the packaging claims:unsure:)
glowrider.jpg

tbf they look kinda ultraviolet'y:), anywaaaaaay, after a short while and some fiddly soldering (those AIO tabs are bloody tiny) she was all buttoned up and tightened down...
20180827_165924.jpg

and finally, the "gLow" part....
20180827_165727.jpg
20180827_165808.jpg

yes I have maidened it, yes It performed excellently despite me giving it the most thorough and less than gentle maiden I've ever done, yes I did video the maiden but no I didn't make sure there wasn't a soddin ivy leaf right infront of the camera lens the whole time which meant all I got was a random green image backed by the occasional sound of screaming motors as a sound track:rolleyes:.... was admittedly a nice sound though (love these 4 blade Dal screamers), Im sure this frame will be around for a while so Ill eventually grab some proper non leaf related footage in the near future.

Initial impressions though, she flys very well even on more or less stock PID's, I only did the most simple of adjustments before the top plate went on as those who were observant enough will have noted just how much an issue getting to the AIO's usb port will be after full build (I may look into adding a wireless connection at a later date), fully built and bolted the whole frame is shockingly rigid and tough, as I hoped the cam is set back enough to be protected but not so much as to have most of its image taken up by spinning props, battery slot lets the lipo of choice sit really low on the frame but still have a bit of protection and positional hold even without a strap.
The gLow from the UV leds though seemingly subtle in dim light is actually quite striking at night, I might even redesign the arm top plates to allow a little more of the light to leak out upwards as the clear props Im using actually pick it up quite well in the dark so it might make for some fun effects.

early days though so guess I'll just see how it go's

Reactions: FDS

IanSR

Sorry if I've missed it, but how much weight does the 3D printed parts add?

Hi from the Surrey/Sussex border by the way, yes near Gatwick, no wasn't responsible for the shutdown last year (I always get asked that for some reason), I'm more a fixed wing pilot, have a bloody wonder/super bee cross bread plane, an AR Wing and a 3D foamed, but I do have a DJI Spark too for occasional use.

shawdreamer

Sorry if I've missed it, but how much weight does the 3D printed parts add?

Hi from the Surrey/Sussex border by the way, yes near Gatwick, no wasn't responsible for the shutdown last year (I always get asked that for some reason), I'm more a fixed wing pilot, have a bloody wonder/super bee cross bread plane, an AR Wing and a 3D foamed, but I do have a DJI Spark too for occasional use.

AUW with a 1400mah 4s came in at just short of 400g (397g iirc) so not to bad weight wise, the larger 2200mah 3s seen in the pics would push it closer to 500g but It still performed well enough even carrying that.

shawdreamer

forgot I even created this account:oops:

with gLowrider still happily ripping about the place with no signs of giving up anytime soon I set about building a more stripped down minimilistic version I just named Slimbuild for obvious reasons when you see it...

20190204_132854.jpg

20190204_132915.jpg

20190204_132951.jpg

20190204_133026.jpg

20190204_133057.jpg

20190204_133121.jpg

Starf3s 30Amp AIO fc&4in1 Esc - running 600D-shot
RS 2403 2300kv motors spinning Dal 4 blade screamers again
main frame parts are ZMR250 arms and 2x lower plates (arms repositioned to create a true X frame rather than the zmr's usual mix of x/h setup)
Foxeer arrow cam (optional onboard DVR built into frame design, can be removed and used on goggle feed/ other frames like gLowrider)

Only had a couple of chances to fly her since maiden due to the shockingly cold and snowy weather we've had since xmas but she's shaping up to be a whole bundle of giggles, alot of fun to fly and bloody tough as nails so far

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
forgot I even created this account:oops:

with gLowrider still happily ripping about the place with no signs of giving up anytime soon I set about building a more stripped down minimilistic version I just named Slimbuild for obvious reasons when you see it...

View attachment 123288
View attachment 123294
View attachment 123295
View attachment 123296
View attachment 123297
View attachment 123298
Starf3s 30Amp AIO fc&4in1 Esc - running 600D-shot
RS 2403 2300kv motors spinning Dal 4 blade screamers again
main frame parts are ZMR250 arms and 2x lower plates (arms repositioned to create a true X frame rather than the zmr's usual mix of x/h setup)
Foxeer arrow cam (optional onboard DVR built into frame design, can be removed and used on goggle feed/ other frames like gLowrider)

Only had a couple of chances to fly her since maiden due to the shockingly cold and snowy weather we've had since xmas but she's shaping up to be a whole bundle of giggles, alot of fun to fly and bloody tough as nails so far
That is one hell of a slammed deck!!! NICE!!

Last edited: