NEW BUILD : LitterBug's KISS FC Flyers

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I've had this Falcon 130mm frame for quite some time and have almost started to build it several times. Really wanted to have it done before this past winter's indoor sessions. Have been torn contemplating what FC to use on it. I've thought about BrainFPV RE1, SPR F3 EVO with a SPR F3OSD, DTFc, BetaFlight F3, and several others along the way. Even started documenting the build once with an SPR F3 EVO and some other motors that ended up in OWL #1.
FalconMock.jpg

I've wanted to dabble in KISS but really didn't like the thought of having to jump through alot of the hoops I've heard about when flashing ESCs and FCs. Also heard there were driver compatibility issues between KISS and many other boards I use. Well, most of that appears to be in the past now, and with the release of the AIOv2, I finally took the leap and ordered the KISS CC. Seems like the frame and FC are a perfect match for each other. Will be making use of the T-Motor F20 4100kv motors that were in Owl #1 for a spell but have to lengthen the motor wires since I had shortened them and used individual ESCs on the owl. Still debating what direction to go for OSD/VTX Contemplating using the Diatone SP3 combo board that is configured and ready to complete BabyTri #2. Looks like another perfect match for this build. Then throw a Runcam Swift Mini on it and call it a day. Top and Bottom view of the boards:
KISSvtxOsdA.jpg
KISSvtxOsd.jpg

KISS board showed up this week, and had to work through the initial "Uhhh, Hey Beavis, how do I get this thing to work?" moment. HAD to download DfuSeDemo in order to flash the firmware as the boards still do not ship with any firmware and the DFU driver that comes with that tool is also required. Managed to download it "without" using one of my spam users or email accounts. First click from the downloads section of flyduino took me to another site to download the files. That site tried to extract my whole life history, firstborn son, etc, but after doing a back arrow in my browser and clicking the link again, the file downloaded without providing any of the info. WOOT! I installed it, but "DID NOT" install the drivers (or the other "required" STM drivers for that matter). Instead, I waited until the board was detected by windows and let it automatically install the wrong driver. Next, I went into the device manager and FORCED it to the correct "OLD" DFU driver that is loaded into the program directory of DfuSeDemo. HOLY SMOKES IT WORKED! Driver conflicts avoided and I have verified that connections to all my other FCs and the KISS are working correctly. Uploaded firmware and now was able to connect via the KISS Gui. That leads to the next hurdle. Activation.... yeah, it didn't recognize the serial number of the board, which meant sending an email to flyduino telling them to make my board valid.... Half a day later, got email saying to try again. Activation successful and now able to configure the FC and flash the ESCs. I like to take build one step at a time and verify all parts work BEFORE starting the actual build. Saves time and energy of having to debuild/rebuild/repair/build several times. All pieces are working so on to the actual build...

More to come as the build progresses....

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sweet you got it to light up without selling your family tree mate. I bummed some money from a friend and ordered a replacement FC for my alien. It was supposed to be here yesterday... Status says its out for delivery today so hopefully I can get back in the air. I been messing with my Versacopter and got that back up two days ago. Retuned it and did so LOS this morning.. No usb connection issues so I am sure now it was all due to the FC dieing.

Good luck with this build. If them AIO's wernt on the expensive side I would grab one of those for a Gremlin style build but you cant beat 75 bucks for a complete build over just an aio fc. Guess its another thing to go on that "someday" wishlist hehe. GL with this mate I think you will love how KISS flys. You can get it 90% tuned in minutes and perfect tune in a few packs if you know what to look for which I am sure after all your builds you do now.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Did a bit more work on this last night. Have the F20 4100kv motors mounted up and have started working on how to mount the FC/VTX stack. One problem I have with this frame, it is a stressed member of the whole stack, FPV, and Top plate. Makes me hope I do not need to soft mount it as that would make the whole stack soft mounted....

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Pictures or it didn't happen.... Worked on pre-build mock up tonight. Got the standoffs, screws,motors, and some good tape kinda sorted out. Still not sure what FPV gear will go on it, but I will roll forward with the initial build from the FC down to the frame as-is here and get it going LOS for now. Will drop the massive standoffs holding the TOP plate from 36mm to 10mm for the time being and slap the RX on it.
FalconKissMock.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Wow... found this guy in the parts bin where I dumped everything before FFE'17. Need to get it finished before KISS FC V3 is released... ;) With the release of KISS V2, the whole procedure of flashing, gui, etc is changing, yet again. Playing with a V2 and quickly found that there is a need for a new 2.0 GUI. Firmware version: KISSFCV2F7-1.3RC32s S/N: ####3532-3####116-003##### (Activated). Flashing is no longer done with the funky DFUse utility for the V2. :) If only the older ones did not still need to be done tha olde way...

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
This is one of those builds that really needs to be completed... Found it on the table and flashed the latest firmwares, but dang, still not one bit of solder done on it yet after all this time and the motors must have been scavenged for another build somewhere....

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Really?

Thought this has been built flown hard and put away wet to be retired for another build.

And I think Im a procrastinator😁

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I still have never flown KISS. I have a stalled out 6S KISS V2 Krieger 225 build too... Just needs FPV gear added on and final cleanup. Looks like I never started a thread on it and V2 is probably why I stopped working on the falcon build. Cool thing is there is a Kiss-GUI for Linux now. Doesn't work with the V1 boards, but fully functional on the V2 gear. Been playing around with the gui and FCs. Man is KISS stripped down and basic. Guess that's why they call it KISS. LOL

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Hmmm. Maybe I should repurpose this thread to LitterBug's KISS flyers (EDIT DONE!). I found the motors and they are on a different frame that I'd rather build up. Anyone know how to rename a thread? :-D

Anyway, Here's a pic of the ShenDrones Krieger 225 Kiss V2 build after updating the firmware last night:
KissV2Krieger225.jpg

That's a lot of "STOCK" glow between the KISS V2 FC and V2 ESCs.... Thank goodness the SmokeStopper wasn't LIT too... :-D

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
KISS has a different feel of smooth to it. Far less fiddlin around and stress of smoking motors and escs.

The hardware is rock solid to start and does not require addon filters, soft mounting, and 6 goat sacrifices to fly like the *.flights.

In fact they stress NOT soft mounting anything other then the o rings that come with the fc.