New builder FT Tiny Trainer

NewBuilder625

When I was a teenager I built a some plastic models. I am at 82 years now old getting back into it and need some help. I just finished a model of the B-25. It came out okay. I hope to build more of the WW ll bombers. I down loaded the plans for the FT Tiny Trainer. It printed on 8.5" by 11" paper. Is this actual size of the plane or should it be scaled up? I noted that there is a scale on the first page with inches and centimeters. How do I use this or what is it for? My uncle was part of the crew of a B-25 based in New Guinea in late 1944 and 1945. He never said very much about his experiences.The B-25 he was in had four machine guns in the nose and did mostly strafing runs. He did not get much opportunity as top turret gunner to fire because he could only fire as the plane was pulling out of the strafing runs. He said they the only time they saw Japanese they where going away from them. He also related that much of the flying time was looking for planes that did not run from their flights. One they flue for at least 3 or 4 days looking for a plane that did return. New Guinea was mostly deep jungle so not very many of the crews or planes were found. He died a few years ago.

Last edited:

JDSnavely

I down loaded the plans for the FT Tiny Trainer. It printed on 8.5" by 11" paper. Is this actual size of the plane or should it be scaled up? I noted that there is a scale on the first page with inches and centimeters. How do I use this or what is it for?

Yes, if you've printed the plans at 100% and chose "auto" for the orientation this will piece together as the actual size of the plane.
Link link can be helpful for printing plans. The scale just shows if you printed correctly. You can go slightly smaller or larger. I've done a 90% Mini Scout and it came out great.
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/printing-flite-test-plans

We have built many Tiny Trainers from scratch as well as speed builds. It is a great flying plane! My oldest son's favorite! Use the F-Pack motor and either a 2S or 3S battery.
2S smooth and gentle but still plenty of power. 3S great speed and control.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like you printed the full size plan, which your printer shrank to fit on a single sheet of paper. The full size plans are to be printed on a large format printer, think office supply store.
If you are like the rest of us, print the TA, tiled A, size plan. It is setup for regular paper which you tape together to make plans with.

Printing Tips: https://www.flitetest.com/articles/printing-flite-test-plans

AIO = All-In-One: Includes Full-Size, A-Size (7.5 x 10.5), and B-Size (10.5 x 15) plans in one file
FS = Full-Size: 34 x 22 non-tiled plans (fits ANSI D and ISO A1, requires a large format plotter)
* TA = Tiled A-Size: 7.5 x 10.5 tiled plans (fits US letter and ISO A4, standard size home printer)
TB = Tiled B-Size: 10.5 x 15 tiled plans (fits US Ledger and ISO A3, requires a larger format printer)

Xamith

I noted that there is a scale on the first page with inches and centimeters. How do I use this or what is it for?
This is to verify the plans were printed to the correct size. Use a ruler to confirm that 1"==1" or likewise for centimeters. Each block should be one unit.