NEW CHALENGE FOR Bixler and Scott! foam board Gliders!

Rcmaihem

Here is a Challenge for Josh Bixler and Josh Scott see who can come up with the longest flying dollar tree foam board rc glider!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Longest meaning length or flight duration?

Duration in gliders is *usually* more about skill. More than fair odds it would come out David > Bixler > Scott, just from experience.

EA did the wing length last year:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Duration in gliders is *usually* more about skill. More than fair odds it would come out David > Bixler > Scott, just from experience.
Very true with one exception. If they are taking turns flying, one of them might get lucky with thermals on an iffy day, like Josh S. did on the piggyback episode where he was really the only one to find any thermals. Granted he flew way off the field to do it, but....

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Very true with one exception. If they are taking turns flying, one of them might get lucky with thermals on an iffy day, like Josh S. did on the piggyback episode where he was really the only one to find any thermals. Granted he flew way off the field to do it, but....

Hence "usually" (I *AM* a master at squishy generalizations ;) ), but most good glider pilots (I am not one of 'em) can read the field to know when and where to hunt for updrafts -- that's the skill I was refering to.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Sorry, brother. I wasn't disagreeing with you, only pointing out that luck of the draw can also play a part, albeit, a very small part...
In my case, like yours and Josh S, as well, some luck would be necessary, as we can only read the planes reaction to the lift, not so much predict where it will be. Ok, no predictions at all... :)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
No sweat Xuzme, wasn't reading anything into it, just clarifying.

Pilots who haven't played with glider folk (which included me untill recently) think their compitions are more luck with a touch of skill in piloting efficently. Doesn't take long to find out the winning skill is in reading the field.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Yeah, I forget that we have some brand new people to the hobby sometimes.

My dad flew competitively for a few years and the winning flight was always a combination of many things; reading the field, the airframe, pilot flying skill, and, even they admitted, a little luck in changing or borderline conditions. Being able to predict where lift will be, is probably top of that list and what separates the real pilots from the rest of us. You definitely nailed that one for sure!

Rcmaihem

i see your points lol what im hoping for is they both come up with glider designs sort of like a *build off* and witch ever design works the best they put that in to plans and a speed build kit. I would like to see who has the speediest and most stable design and it must be out of the foam board and i would like to see a nice long duration flight using the thermals. David would pilot the gliders one at a time and he would judge them. that's the challenge.

Snardo

I'll second this one. I'd love to see plans, etc... for a foam board motor glider from the guys.