New drone registration.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I just hit the FAA website to reregister. The new money grab is on.

Its now $15 for a three year registration PER "drone". They now print labels for your gear for you. Any of you brothers out there with 10 + planes gonna be getyin a label for all yer stuffs.. i sure as hell aint.

I try to be legal best I can but that is unreasonable.

They also added options to have a picture id and have your ama number as well for 25 bones.

THEN.. in your verification process... you cluck the link they send you to verify email...expect cc info AGAIN to verify your address.

There is a disclaimer that you can verify by snail mail for free but they will bang you another 5 bones if you verify electronically...

Oh yeah.. at the end they give a 10 question test and get all trixie with possible answers. Know the difference between hobby (old 336) and part 107.. they marked me wrong on several questions that apply to part 107 when I registered for hobby use.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thats the probably not updated web page. The info I posted was straight off the new registration page where you actually register.

Wish I knew how to get screen shots on this crappy burner phone... woulda took pics to show whats goin on.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Thats the probably not updated web page. The info I posted was straight off the new registration page where you actually register.

Wish I knew how to get screen shots on this crappy burner phone... woulda took pics to show whats goin on.
It just says 'Mark your drone with your registration number" in the FAA website - no requirement to be their label!

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
I can’t help feeling they will only prosecute people for not paying or not sticking labels on everything WHO HAVE ALREADY BROKEN THE LAW by flying inside no fly areas, antisocially or otherwise illegally.
How are they going to enforce all this? Rock up with the SWAT team at every club, public park, farm, open field or remote flying field and bust everyone NOT DISPLAYING AN APOROVED STICKER (or legible number?)
Talk about a law begging to be ingnored before it is even tested in court. Sorry to hear you guys got this crap dropped on you, here’s hoping everywhere else that is introducing similar useless legislation doesn’t copy yours.
You all need to buy some yellow vests and take your gear to your capital. En masse.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
It just says 'Mark your drone with your registration number" in the FAA website - no requirement to be their label!

Did you actually go to the registration page and fill the forms out or are you simply looking at their main web page.

You either did not go thru the process or you for some reason seem to be commenting like I am either goofy or a liar. Neither of which are appreciated.

SearchSubmit

Complete Your Registration
Now you Must Please Continue with these Simple Steps:
1. Email Verification –
You should receive an email from the FAA within 48 hours. Please click the activation link found in the email. You may need to check your spam folder.
2. Physical Address Verification –
(Free by mail or $5 instant online by FAA)
The Email Verification link will Automatically bring you to Step 2: Address Verification.
Please Log in using Username: {customer_email}
Password: *********(You are advised to change password after the registration process is complete)
Fill out information and accept all FAA disclaimers.
Verify your Physical Address by using your Credit Card.

3. Final Step –
Upload Information
Please login to your account at ***********
On the account dashboard please select the tab labeled:
UPLOAD REGISTRATION, FLIGHT ID PHOTO, & AMA NUMBER
and complete the required information.
dashboard.jpg

Your Label(s) are being manufactured and will ship to you once we receive your confirmation of the Certification Number.
— If you have purchased a Flight ID card with Photo include your desired headshot photo.
– If you optionally choose to include your AMA Number, please do

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
You either did not go thru the process or you for some reason seem to be commenting like I am either goofy or a liar. Neither of which are appreciated.
Calm down, she’s never said anything such. This implies that the FAA doesn’t have their um stuff together. They have new policies but a lot of the old stuff is still there.
I’m going to do what I’ve been doing (printing my own) until the FAA or the AMA informs me otherwise.

JTarmstr

Elite member
Did you actually go to the registration page and fill the forms out or are you simply looking at their main web page.

SearchSubmit

Complete Your Registration
Now you Must Please Continue with these Simple Steps:

1. Email Verification –
You should receive an email from the FAA within 48 hours. Please click the activation link found in the email. You may need to check your spam folder.
2. Physical Address Verification –
(Free by mail or $5 instant online by FAA)
The Email Verification link will Automatically bring you to Step 2: Address Verification.
Please Log in using Username: {customer_email}
Password: *********(You are advised to change password after the registration process is complete)
Fill out information and accept all FAA disclaimers.
Verify your Physical Address by using your Credit Card.

3. Final Step –
Upload Information

Please login to your account at ***********
On the account dashboard please select the tab labeled:
UPLOAD REGISTRATION, FLIGHT ID PHOTO, & AMA NUMBER
and complete the required information.
dashboard.jpg

Your Label(s) are being manufactured and will ship to you once we receive your confirmation of the Certification Number.

— If you have purchased a Flight ID card with Photo include your desired headshot photo.
– If you optionally choose to include your AMA Number, please do

Is this only drones not foamies? I can always just put a number on the tail. But its ridiculous that they charge that much just to put your name in a data base, i can get a drivers licence for less.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Is this only drones not foamies? I can always just put a number on the tail. But its ridiculous that they charge that much just to put your name in a data base, i can get a drivers licence for less.
Anything over 250g, I see a lot of ultralight stuff coming along now...

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I just hit the FAA website to reregister. The new money grab is on.

Its now $15 for a three year registration PER "drone". They now print labels for your gear for you. Any of you brothers out there with 10 + planes gonna be getyin a label for all yer stuffs.. i sure as hell aint.

I try to be legal best I can but that is unreasonable.

This new legislation is less about safety and more about intimidation by confusion. The point is to be so confusing that they can arrest and prosecute anyone at any time for any reason. No one really knows for sure what the law actually is, so anyone can be made a target. This is so unreasonable, thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people will go find another hobby.

Even if you are vindicated, the arrest and trial will be so unpleasant that the process has now become the punishment.

This is the point. Scare people out of the hobby so there will be fewer people who complain when they sell your airspace to Alphabet and Amazon.

I visited the Soviet Union before the collapse in '87. The political landscape there was very similar to the US since the Patriot Act.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
This new legislation is less about safety and more about intimidation by confusion. The point is to be so confusing that they can arrest and prosecute anyone at any time for any reason. No one really knows for sure what the law actually is, so anyone can be made a target.
That sounds like the US tax code.

JTarmstr

Elite member
I dont want to seem to depressing. But the truth of the matter is this is all so that if they had to they can arrest anyone. I dont know how many of you saw on the news about the high school students who were attacked by the news media but imagine that if you can arrest someone who allegedly did something like that. Everyone passed judgement way to quickly with that and if everything is illegal than anyone who is not popular at the moment can be arrested. They did it in Gatwick and it isn't about justice anymore. Its about fear.