New drone registration.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Did you actually go to the registration page and fill the forms out or are you simply looking at their main web page.

You either did not go thru the process or you for some reason seem to be commenting like I am either goofy or a liar. Neither of which are appreciated.

SearchSubmit

Complete Your Registration
Now you Must Please Continue with these Simple Steps:

1. Email Verification –
You should receive an email from the FAA within 48 hours. Please click the activation link found in the email. You may need to check your spam folder.
2. Physical Address Verification –
(Free by mail or $5 instant online by FAA)
The Email Verification link will Automatically bring you to Step 2: Address Verification.
Please Log in using Username: {customer_email}
Password: *********(You are advised to change password after the registration process is complete)
Fill out information and accept all FAA disclaimers.
Verify your Physical Address by using your Credit Card.

3. Final Step –
Upload Information

Please login to your account at ***********
On the account dashboard please select the tab labeled:
UPLOAD REGISTRATION, FLIGHT ID PHOTO, & AMA NUMBER
and complete the required information.
dashboard.jpg

Your Label(s) are being manufactured and will ship to you once we receive your confirmation of the Certification Number.
— If you have purchased a Flight ID card with Photo include your desired headshot photo.
– If you optionally choose to include your AMA Number, please do
Apologies, I did not go through the registration as I don't live in the USA. Seems the FAA website is all out of sync with the upfront public webpages.

Jeffer949

Can you all clarify something? Is this saying that anything over 250G has to be registered? Does this include RC Planes or just drones? My main concern is when was the last time one of your Planes or drones lasted 3 years. I have built about 15 planes in the past 4 months. Destroyed 4 of them. Do I have to register each one for the short time I fly before I destroy it? Do I get a refund when its destroyed? Can I transfer it to another plane? And basically the rules mean all FPV races are breaking the rules as you do not maintain line of site. I loose line of site flying a tiny whoop in my apartment....

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Can you all clarify something? Is this saying that anything over 250G has to be registered? Does this include RC Planes or just drones? My main concern is when was the last time one of your Planes or drones lasted 3 years. I have built about 15 planes in the past 4 months. Destroyed 4 of them. Do I have to register each one for the short time I fly before I destroy it? Do I get a refund when its destroyed? Can I transfer it to another plane? And basically the rules mean all FPV races are breaking the rules as you do not maintain line of site. I loose line of site flying a tiny whoop in my apartment....

Anything over 250g is a uas to the FAA. Winged, Hilo, multirotor....

Anything indoors is outside the FAA jurisdiction.

Make a small data plate and subsequent airframes are the same uas. That's my story anyway.

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Just registered Chameleon for Part 107/commercial use and it was $5 for 3 years. I have six UASs registered for 107 now @ $5 each. For the rest of my builds I use the same Section 336 (hobby recreational) registration number that cost $5 for 3 years. I can use my Section 336 reg# on any of my birds that I just want to fly for fun.
Official page for FAA registration;
https://faadronezone.faa.gov/

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@PsyBorg - you might want to confirm that you didn't get hit with a scam site.

See this article : http://thedronegirl.com/2018/07/31/drone-registration-scam/

Looked into that and yes I agree..

Initially I went to faa thru the link from the first registration. Thus crappy phone wouldnt load the site. I guess I was lazy since I had closed my email (checked my history to confirm) and googled the site..

Pretty sure I got got.

Sorry to cause all the drama.

I also fully appologize to Caroline for being so abrupt. Even if I was correct no reason to be like that to anyone here.

/Hug

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Looked into that and yes I agree..

Initially I went to faa thru the link from the first registration. Thus crappy phone wouldnt load the site. I guess I was lazy since I had closed my email (checked my history to confirm) and googled the site..

Pretty sure I got got.

Sorry to cause all the drama.

I also fully appologize to Caroline for being so abrupt. Even if I was correct no reason to be like that to anyone here.

/Hug

Really sorry to hear that man. I checked through some of the sites that show up when you google - they are supposed to post a disclaimer but many of them bury it at the bottom of the page or in their FAQs. Really tempted to post my first expletive for what they did to you. :mad:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Really sorry to hear that man. I checked through some of the sites that show up when you google - they are supposed to post a disclaimer but many of them bury it at the bottom of the page or in their FAQs. Really tempted to post my first expletive for what they did to you. :mad:

Im more oussed now that the FAA lets them exist under false pretense. Im pretyy sure thats impersonating a federal office or at the very least misrepresentating themselves as the FAA.

But then again the criminals in our government dont careas they are profiteering off any and every thing they can pay their cronies in the house and senate to put on paper or piggy back on other legitimate laws.

I got took for being lazy... deserved... Im just more worried over what they will do with the cc info and my address they got.

Will be canceling the prepaid cc i used and transfering the little thats left on it currently to a new card for sure soon as I have paitence to sit on hold waiting to talk to a real person...

320dude

So is being an AMA member not good enough anymore? Because I was under the impression that since it is a Community Based Organization with their own set of guidelines then as long as I am an AMA member I don't have to worry about the FAA registration. It's just so confusing and hard to keep up with this stuff.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
So is being an AMA member not good enough anymore? Because I was under the impression that since it is a Community Based Organization with their own set of guidelines then as long as I am an AMA member I don't have to worry about the FAA registration. It's just so confusing and hard to keep up with this stuff.

Regardless of AMA membership you are required to register.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Im more oussed now that the FAA lets them exist under false pretense. Im pretyy sure thats impersonating a federal office or at the very least misrepresentating themselves as the FAA.

But then again the criminals in our government dont careas they are profiteering off any and every thing they can pay their cronies in the house and senate to put on paper or piggy back on other legitimate laws.

I got took for being lazy... deserved... Im just more worried over what they will do with the cc info and my address they got.

Will be canceling the prepaid cc i used and transfering the little thats left on it currently to a new card for sure soon as I have paitence to sit on hold waiting to talk to a real person...

Sorry, man. I was just thinking this might not be on the up and up after the AMA published an article in their latest issue of Model Aviation about the very topic of FAA registration. We also had a discussion at our last club meeting about this very topic, as a couple of our newer members were scammed (one of them, unfortunately, tried to charge $1000 to the guy's credit card, but it was stopped due to potential fraud).

On the plus side, there are a lot more of us aware of this sort of thing happening now that you've brought attention to it, so look at it that way - you're helping someone else not to get caught by these...pieces of toilet paper, these anatomy waffles, these body parts? (Yes, I'm trying to find pretty ways to express myself in a "family friendly" manner). If you want to vent in private to me, feel free to msg me - I completely understand.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
All good mate. I will give it some time to see if they actualky do register. If nothing cinfirmed by the end of the month I will contact the FAA and have them cancel the account and issue a new one.

Hopefully.... (interpreted as not likely) they will investigate the fraudulent site and maybe actually do something about it.

@sprzout Btw glad to see you back the circumstances of you absense do not sound fun. Heart issues run in my family. Glad I got into quads to get me off the chair and moving about.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
All good mate. I will give it some time to see if they actualky do register. If nothing cinfirmed by the end of the month I will contact the FAA and have them cancel the account and issue a new one.

Hopefully.... (interpreted as not likely) they will investigate the fraudulent site and maybe actually do something about it.

@sprzout Btw glad to see you back the circumstances of you absense do not sound fun. Heart issues run in my family. Glad I got into quads to get me off the chair and moving about.

Thanks for the welcome back. As for the fraudulent site investigation, I know that the FAA is investigating many of these sites, but they're kind of playing whac-a-mole - they get one beat down, two more pop up. Let's hope they get this one squished for you.

basslord1124

Master member
Reminds me, I need to check my registration. I'll do it, but the whole thing is crap in my opinion.

I see this as a few idiots who flew where they shouldn't and then the media ran with it and turned into a much bigger issue so that the government would get involved and put an extra few dollars into their pockets. I'm seeing a similar thing with e-cigarettes which my wife has used one since they first came out, knows how to use it properly, and has NEVER had an issue. And now they are talking about the dangers of these things with kids and the batteries exploding (which apparently somebody got killed due to an exploding battery from an ecig).

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Reminds me, I need to check my registration. I'll do it, but the whole thing is crap in my opinion.

I see this as a few idiots who flew where they shouldn't and then the media ran with it and turned into a much bigger issue so that the government would get involved and put an extra few dollars into their pockets. I'm seeing a similar thing with e-cigarettes which my wife has used one since they first came out, knows how to use it properly, and has NEVER had an issue. And now they are talking about the dangers of these things with kids and the batteries exploding (which apparently somebody got killed due to an exploding battery from an ecig).

Agreed on the FAA thing - you can guarantee that a serious UAS incident will involve a craft/pilot that is not registered.

Not so much in agreement on the eCig thing. The rate of use among teens is crazy. DamoRC Jnr has told me that kids his age (16ish) not only are using these regularly but are being "rewarded" by eCig manufacturers to talk the products up with their friends. Remember Joe Camel?

JTarmstr

Elite member
Agreed on the FAA thing - you can guarantee that a serious UAS incident will involve a craft/pilot that is not registered.

Not so much in agreement on the eCig thing. The rate of use among teens is crazy. DamoRC Jnr has told me that kids his age (16ish) not only are using these regularly but are being "rewarded" by eCig manufacturers to talk the products up with their friends. Remember Joe Camel?

Not only that, they have a chemical in them that hardwires your brain to use them over and over again. Airplanes are far more interesting :), and better for your health.

basslord1124

Master member

Yeah I know the use among teens is there and it's terrible. I think the intention for ecigs is to provide at least somewhat healthier alternative to regular cig smokers OR as a way to help cig smokers to really get off nicotine. I have seen some quit nicotine altogether thanks to ecgis. Now as for kids getting them, who is really to blame...kids, parents? They know (or should know) it's got nicotine in them and can get them addicted.

Really the unawareness of this new generation is scary. Not just ecigs...but drones in bad places, tide pods, all those other bizarre challenges, etc.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I came accross this a while back.
photo_2019-02-05_13-03-55.jpg

I shared it in the official Inav telegram and there is a few airline pilots that hang around there and they told me this is pretty much what they are instructed to do, report anything as a UAV.
They also talked about some airliners pilots association that wanted to ban all non-commercial UAVs altogether, one can dream.

I have been told that similar bullcrap is supposed to come in europe, they can hope all they want but I wont register my extremely temporary aircrafts and no one will blame me for that.