New Dutchie and question(s) regarding alternatives for power pack F

Wingeddrac0

Hey FliteFamily,

Quick introduction;
Paul
27 y/o
South Limburg
Netherlands

I've only recentely stumbled upon the youtube channel of JoshJosh & co. and since I've seen some of the building videos my hands have been itching to build planes with foam. After looking up a few things I figured I'd start with something simpler, a Bixler 2. Now, it is good to know I've flown a couple of planes in the past (13/14 years back). All three of them were petrol powered planes, namely the Kyosho Calmate, Kyosho Calmato Sport & an aerobatics plane (which caused me to quit the hobby for a while). Got a picture of that somewhere, I'll make sure I'll find and upload it :p.
Had a great time flying them, I sold the Calmato Trainer after purchasing the 3d plane, sadly the sports died when I managed to reverse the ailerons on assembly at the field. The 3d plane was trimmed out, tested and landed by a club member and without even shutting down the engine or tx I took over for my maiden. Sadly, when the plane was 10 meters up in the air every bit of control disappeared and the plane made a lovely loop and went nose first into the ground, nearly smashing into a bonnet of a nearby car.
That was the reason why I quit flying until roughly 2 months ago, when I stumbled upon FliteTest and their enthousiasm for the hobby. Now I'm back and having a great time. I am however a bit lost in the world of electric flying, so many options and things to consider...

A week ago my delivery of WestBoard foam came and I went to build the mini scout, mainly because of the minimal material it required and the ease of the build.
Got a few pictures of the build for whoever is interested.
IMG_20180619_171000551.jpg IMG_20180621_210543226.jpg IMG_20180621_210556038.jpg IMG_20180625_082031724.jpg IMG_20180625_082049916.jpg

As you can see the result could be worse, although the last picture shows that my first plane has some bad cuts but we learn from mistakes, don't we?
Right now I'm building the mini mustand and the cutting is done aside from the rudder and I have to say, they look rather good in comparison to the mini scout.
No pictures (yet).

Now to the meat of the thread, thanks for getting all the way down here!
I want to make a couple of mini's, power them up with my printed power pod and control rods. Problem is that I'm not sure wha motor I should pick, one reason being that WestBoard/Foam is heavier than DtB/Adams so I don't want to underpower the planes. My suspicion is that I need a power pack F equivalent in order to make the mustang and future mini's fly decent, I don't need a speeddemon. I've had good experiences with HK so if possible I'd like to order from them. This is what I found thus far. Could somebody with more knowledge give me his/her opinion and explain why an item is right or wrong? Thanks in advance!

Motor:
https://hobbyking.com/nl_nl/brushless-motor-c2206-2300kv-cw.html
For some reason the CCW version shows a 404 page, but is still purchaseable as far as I can tell.

https://hobbyking.com/nl_nl/qav-rt2204-2300kv-quad-racing-motor-ccw.html

ESC:
20 or 30A ESC depending on motor, got both types of ESC already at home, both have a lineair BEC.

Prop: Entirely unknown why a bigger or smaller prop should be better on certain motors. Bigger props need less rotations to produce the same trust/pull as smaller props. Determinating which prop is good for what motor is quite a guess for me in all honesty.
https://hobbyking.com/nl_nl/tgs-precision-sport-propeller-4-5x4-5-1pc.html

Long story short, FliteTest is awesome, flying is awesome and I think this community is awesome aswell. I'll end up at a flitefest in the future, i can guarantee that ;)

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
for mini's you will be fine with the first motor. i would swing a 6x3 or 6x4.5 prop and based upon weight you should be able to fly 2S or 3S. since you know you are going to be heavy already, maybe start with 18-20a esc. the 12a will work but if going 3S needs lot's of air and not a lot of crazy, full throttle flying. depends on what you want to do.

good luck,

me :cool:

daspunner

Gonna comment a bit on the techniques of cutting foamboard:

Also made some mistakes during the learningcurve of foambuilding. I love the Olfa-knife shown in one of your pictures that size is NOT suitable for all the cutting you have to do when you are working with foamboard. A scalpell/exactoknife is the way to go with rounded corners and small details. (Olfa has these in their linup too.) One tip is to put down your elbow of the hand you are cutting with on your workbench. Only using your wrist instead of flapping around with all of your arm. This helps a lot with controling your cu.tting.

One more thing by the way. Flite Tests brown waterproof foamboard is available in the EU. I bought a whole box of 25 sheets online since I couldn't find any other good materials locally (live in a small city in Sweden). Might aswell get the real deal then you wont have to worry about the electronics being underpowered.

Cheers and happy building/flying!

/David

Last edited: