New EDF Delta Wing Jet

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Little new project I’ve been working on in my spare time. It doesn’t have a name yet but I haven’t seen many legit delta wing jets on here. Still needs a nose and canopy however runs off of a 50mm FMS EDF, a 50a Hobbywing Skywalker ESC, a ProTek 1400 4s LiHV LiPo and 2 Emax 12g metal gear analog servos. It’s not really based on anything and doesn’t have any real airfoil shape but rather two sheets of foam beveled and folded onto each other at the LE for hopefully max speed. Span is 24 inches.
E6AE58C4-BB07-494B-A0BF-4665048003CA.jpeg

OliverW

Legendary member
Little new project I’ve been working on in my spare time. It doesn’t have a name yet but I haven’t seen many legit delta wing jets on here. Still needs a nose and canopy however runs off of a 50mm FMS EDF, a 50a Hobbywing Skywalker ESC, a ProTek 1400 4s LiHV LiPo and 2 Emax 12g metal gear analog servos. It’s not really based on anything and doesn’t have any real airfoil shape but rather two sheets of foam beveled and folded onto each other at the LE for hopefully max speed. Span is 24 inches. View attachment 169733
That's one good looking bird! It reminds me of a Mirage

danskis

Master member
Great looking jet - I'm into wings and might try this eventually as my build list is just too long. Just an FYI I put a KF airfoil on my second F22 slot jet and it made a world of difference. Glides and flys great. You might give it a try just by gluing the KF sheet on the top of the wing.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Great looking jet - I'm into wings and might try this eventually as my build list is just too long. Just an FYI I put a KF airfoil on my second F22 slot jet and it made a world of difference. Glides and flys great. You might give it a try just by gluing the KF sheet on the top of the wing.
I mean the KF would improve lift but I was going for the sleekest wing profile possible and I achieved it so

MacTuk777

Nice to see that delta flying at 24”. I’m planning to use basically the same EDF/radio gear on my 28” F-106 (if I ever get around to finishing it:giggle:). So far all I have done is the wing.

KF4 steps might be worth a try - you could tape them on and if you don’t like the way it flys just peel them off. I used a flat plate wing on my MiG15 (not a delta - I know), but adding top and bottom steps and playing with the step chord at the tips turned it into a completely different jet. It doesn’t bleed energy in turns any more and it went from twitchy in roll to flying like its on rails.........And once it’s painted you really can’t see the steps.

awesome work, Mate!

Attachments

• D44390D0-7596-4AEB-AD10-59788BFDC9E5.jpeg
    D44390D0-7596-4AEB-AD10-59788BFDC9E5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • B02D40C2-C30E-4C53-81C8-6F0B134C8E92.jpeg
    B02D40C2-C30E-4C53-81C8-6F0B134C8E92.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 97AD1D4E-BF94-465D-804E-5C996BDF24B6.jpeg
    97AD1D4E-BF94-465D-804E-5C996BDF24B6.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 6BC328A1-4452-4BAB-BFE6-08DABD1CED0C.jpeg
    6BC328A1-4452-4BAB-BFE6-08DABD1CED0C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Nice to see that delta flying at 24”. I’m planning to use basically the same EDF/radio gear on my 28” F-106 (if I ever get around to finishing it:giggle:). So far all I have done is the wing.

KF4 steps might be worth a try - you could tape them on and if you don’t like the way it flys just peel them off. I used a flat plate wing on my MiG15 (not a delta - I know), but adding top and bottom steps and playing with the step chord at the tips turned it into a completely different jet. It doesn’t bleed energy in turns any more and it went from twitchy in roll to flying like its on rails.........And once it’s painted you really can’t see the steps.

awesome work, Mate!
Pssst.... you should definitely finish that F-106

MacTuk777

Almost finished........2 flights on it so far and it flys really well. On low rates it could almost be a trainer, on high rates it’s borderline terrifying :eek:. I posted a thread over on the EDF forum. Will definitely build this again - only prettier!

Attachments

• 40B0BD8A-75F4-48DA-9739-F680439A7F12.jpeg
    40B0BD8A-75F4-48DA-9739-F680439A7F12.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 05859C80-50E8-4635-823E-1E7BC4A31DFB.jpeg
    05859C80-50E8-4635-823E-1E7BC4A31DFB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • B87AA582-90EE-4C9A-B309-7C414E04E9E8.jpeg
    B87AA582-90EE-4C9A-B309-7C414E04E9E8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Almost finished........2 flights on it so far and it flys really well. On low rates it could almost be a trainer, on high rates it’s borderline terrifying :eek:. I posted a thread over on the EDF forum. Will definitely build this again - only prettier!
Looks great. On the other side of things I had an Orange RX moment 😂
6EA54728-EA31-4EFE-BE71-D2131E9E269E.jpeg

MacTuk777

Ouch! Sorry to hear that, Mate. I bought a couple of the Orange receivers a few years back for cheap on Amazon........and lost two aircraft to brown-outs. Since then I’ve started buying the gyro receivers from Motionrc.com and the only problems I have now are all self induced:oops:.
Your wing was flying so well - maybe rebuild it with a Flite Test fold-over style wing or a KFm4. I think you’ll be amazed at the difference in overall handling.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Ouch! Sorry to hear that, Mate. I bought a couple of the Orange receivers a few years back for cheap on Amazon........and lost two aircraft to brown-outs. Since then I’ve started buying the gyro receivers from Motionrc.com and the only problems I have now are all self induced:oops:.
Your wing was flying so well - maybe rebuild it with a Flite Test fold-over style wing or a KFm4. I think you’ll be amazed at the difference in overall handling.
Look closer at the crash pic... theres a little step I added 😉. But yeah the orange rx recievers were originally gonna get binned, then I wanted to burn them, but finally a friend talked me into saving them for combats

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Plus no gyros here all my pilotage is done by hand theres really no reason I see to make the aircraft fix your mistakes. But to each their own.

MacTuk777

Now that I look closer I do see the step. Did you lose any elevon authority when you added it, it looks like it goes all the way back to the control surface?

I like the gyro switching feature - Normally fly gyro off, but when it’s too gusty to fly lightly loaded models (at least at my ability level) it’s nice to be able to kick the gyro on and still get an enjoyable flight in. Plus the auto recovery feature is nice when I manage to fly a model across the sun and blind myself (yeah - I know.......plan your flightpath better:giggle:), it’s nice to know that when I regain my vision the aircraft will be tracking straight and level and ready for me to take over. It’s alot of functionality for less than $28.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Now that I look closer I do see the step. Did you lose any elevon authority when you added it, it looks like it goes all the way back to the control surface?

I like the gyro switching feature - Normally fly gyro off, but when it’s too gusty to fly lightly loaded models (at least at my ability level) it’s nice to be able to kick the gyro on and still get an enjoyable flight in. Plus the auto recovery feature is nice when I manage to fly a model across the sun and blind myself (yeah - I know.......plan your flightpath better:giggle:), it’s nice to know that when I regain my vision the aircraft will be tracking straight and level and ready for me to take over. It’s alot of functionality for less than $28.
No if anything it improved the elevon characteristics.