New Entry Level RTF from Fat Shark Starting at $200

RoyBro

Mentor
FatShark Transporter V3.jpg

New TeleporterV3 starts shipping next week. For about $200 USD the TeleporterV3 includes a wireless QVGA headset, 250mW TX, headset battery and 720p PilotHD camera (with live AVout). It has a unique zoom feature that crops the black bars off the 16:9 AV out image to enjoy full large screen flying (25 degree FOV). Zoom back out to view OSD text and wider camera FOV.

It doesn't seem to be on their web site, but check out their Facebook page.

Also there seem to be lots of videos on their YouTube channel.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=367966996663733&set=a.258905357569898.59664.169817899811978&type=1

Last edited:

bbmagic

The sample video they show on YouTube, (linked from a Fatshark comment on that Facebook page), was terrible. It was dark, very stepped in exposure adjustments etc. The dark picture could probably be helped in post production, and I love the concept of the HD recording built into a small FPV camera, BUT it needs to improve a great deal on the video quality of the HD recorded video. I've seen keychain cameras do much better. More videos need to show up before I'll say no way but I'm not too optimistic from what I've seen so far.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
The sample video they show on YouTube, (linked from a Fatshark comment on that Facebook page), was terrible. It was dark, very stepped in exposure adjustments etc. The dark picture could probably be helped in post production, and I love the concept of the HD recording built into a small FPV camera, BUT it needs to improve a great deal on the video quality of the HD recorded video. I've seen keychain cameras do much better. More videos need to show up before I'll say no way but I'm not too optimistic from what I've seen so far.

Yeah the 720p footage was very crappy. However is that how it is for the live feed for flying?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I have the Predator V2 system, and it also has the 25* field of view. It isn't a problem for me. I haven't seen the video, but camera goes a long way in determining image quality. Some of them can be corrected in camera with programming. One of the things you're obviously paying more for (about $80 for the Predator V2) must be the camera. I'm quite pleased with the image quality of the stock camera.

You can buy a Sony board camera from securitycam2000.com for about $40. It's supposed to be one of the preferred "budget" cameras out there. For a little more money, I'm hearing good things about the Horyzone HD camera, but it's expensive...
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/horyzonhd-full-hd-1080p-fpv-camera-v2-plus-p-678.html

RoyBro

Mentor
that's the deal-breaker for me...

I agree, especially with my current eye sight, cataracts. But still, I like that they are addressing the entry level at a price level that nearly everyone in the hobby can afford.

RoyBro

Mentor
You know, having cataracts has provided some me some insight about vision. I can still see up close fairly well, but distant vision is somewhat compromised. But while I can's read the street signs, I can still see cars, kids, dogs squirrels, etc. I'm still able to see well enough to navigate and detect hazards.

It might be the same with QVGA. One may be able to see well enough with these goggles to navigate. But with such low resolution, I wonder about being able to add OSD with any success. But then again, I might be surprised.

And don't worry, I won't be harping on my having cataracts. At least not for long. As soon as the surgeon heals up from his broken clavicle, I'll have this annoying bit of getting older sorted. :p

RoyBro

Mentor
320x240? yikes.

With the release of the new Fatshark Teleporter V3 goggles, I was wondering just how QVGA compared to the VGA that the other goggles used. So I captured some video with my 808 #16 camera set to 640x480. As there is no 320x240 setting on the camera, I converted a copy of the video to 320x 240 then edited them together in Premiere Elements to create a side by side comparison.

I labeled the video at the top so you can tell which resolution you are viewing. Then I split screen to create a side by side view.

So although I would certainly not publish any video at QVGA because we are all used to HD video these days. But compared to VGA, I don't think it would be that bad for FPV, Of course, this doesn't have any OSD data being displayed.

RoyBro

Mentor
I found this video on the Turnigy Basic FPV glasses at 320x240 (QVGA) and the OSD is actually readable. So I guess this would be a viable entry level kit at around $200. Especially with that camera with the built-in DVR.

Jump to 6:50 to see the OSD.