New FAA Circular Re: CBO's

In addition to comments to the FAA, I suggest that you should call your congressman, and point out that these "guidances" do not necessarily comport with the spirit or intent of sub-part 44809, and concisely explain why. This certainly is beginning to seem like "Executive Overreach" of the legislative mandate. I am fairly new to the RC hobby, but already have a substantial investment of time and money, based on the concept of limited regulation of the hobby. I have been willingly compliant to this point, but going forward seems to be a whole new ballgame. It almost appears they are trying to regulate the hobby out of existence., by turning CBO's into "state actors". The whole idea of CBO's was that the Community was better suited to guide the hobby than the FAA, yet the FAA presumes to offer this velvet covered fist to the CBO's?
New FAA Guidance for Recreational Drone Pilots?

CappyAmeric

Elite member
In addition to comments to the FAA, I suggest that you should call your congressman, and point out that these "guidances" do not necessarily comport with the spirit or intent of sub-part 44809, and concisely explain why. This certainly is beginning to seem like "Executive Overreach" of the legislative mandate. I am fairly new to the RC hobby, but already have a substantial investment of time and money, based on the concept of limited regulation of the hobby. I have been willingly compliant to this point, but going forward seems to be a whole new ballgame. It almost appears they are trying to regulate the hobby out of existence., by turning CBO's into "state actors". The whole idea of CBO's was that the Community was better suited to guide the hobby than the FAA, yet the FAA presumes to offer this velvet covered fist to the CBO's?
New FAA Guidance for Recreational Drone Pilots?

I completely agree.

I do not blame the FAA for the overreach; it is what government bureaucracies do - I blame the AMA. It seems they carved out their little safe corner in what they think was automatically recognized FRIAs and then assumed since they were “safe“ they had done what they could do. Personally, I think it sealed the AMA’s eventual demise. It’s funny they only thought to poll their membership after the FAA’s final ruling.

Last edited:
I completely agree.

I do not blame the FAA for the overreach; it is what government bureaucracies do - I blame the AMA. It seems they carved out their little safe corner in what they think was automatically recognized FRIAs and then assumed since they were “safe“ they had done what they could do. Personally, I think it sealed the AMA’s eventual demise. It’s funny they they only thought to poll their membership after the FAA’s final ruling.
To quote Viva Frei (look him up on YouTube). "Politcs ruins everything!