NEW FliteTest Beaver!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Shoot, there's enough room, I might get up to 1000. Heck, I've flown 650 in the timber and this is a much more robust plane. I honestly like a little weight in these smaller planes. As long as you're ok with a bit more speed it seems to make them fly really nice...
Nothing like a little meat on your Beaver to get the job done ;):ROFLMAO:

K3V0

Elite member
You gonna put lights on it? I’d like to try on mine but I have no experience with leds. I understand they’re pretty easy to work with and usually plug right in so I’m sure I’ll figure it out eventually.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
You gonna put lights on it? I’d like to try on mine but I have no experience with leds. I understand they’re pretty easy to work with and usually plug right in so I’m sure I’ll figure it out eventually.
They aren’t that hard! Check out my champ:
4EB0EFCB-7751-4996-926A-DEDBABBFEBEA.jpeg

K3V0

Elite member
Does the beaver have a steerable nose or tail wheel? The adventure has a control rod going right up to the front that makes me hesitant to really cram things in. All in all pretty similar setup inside though
EF3568FD-7F24-44ED-A9DA-76E225C3FAD6.jpeg

Hondo76251

Legendary member
It does look quite similar but I think I have a lot more room under the front fuselage bracing. My esc is glued to the side and my receiver is on the underside of the wing. I can slide that large battery right up to the servos.

The beaver has a steerable tail wheel or rudder for the floats. It attaches directly to the rudder. I wont be using either as I plan to land on the snow. If I do switch to the wheels this summer I'll definitely be getting bigger tires!

You maiden yet? I just got the As3x reciever all dialed in, should fly great if the wind will ever stop!
20200212_220648.jpg

K3V0

Elite member
No maiden for me yet either. Wind has been up and when it’s not I’m working. But Saturday is looking good and I’ll be flying with friends so that’s always nice.
The float rudder is controlled by the nose wheel socket on mine. There’s a long control rod that goes back to the tail.
I see the better clearance under the brace. Looks like it holds the 1000mah nice and snug!
Im gonna bite your steelo and copy your rx placement, though. Under the wing is a good idea. It’ll be cool to see how well the asx3 helps! I was surprised when you said it was more robust than the umx timber. I haven’t held one but I was looking at them too.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
@K3V0 I'd recommend the UMX Timber for sure, I love that little plane. It's so light that with flaps down it can fly about walking speed, great for a little STOL fun! Plus, it has As3x and SAFE so it's a great one to let someone buddy box with you on.

The drawbacks are that, because it is so light, it is a bit fragile but it is good foam so it is repairable to some degree. It uses some funky proprietary prop instead of a normal style like the Beaver. I have never broken a prop but I broke several prop shaft adapters until I swapped in a metal one. Even with As3x it's not great in the wind. I'm hoping that this beaver being slightly heavier will help that some...

Hondo76251

Legendary member
finally got it in the air!

So far I really like it! It flies great and with the flaps it does slow down quite nicely! I only flew with a 2s 400 as it was the lightest thing I could find that would balance (always like to do the maiden as light as possible) but I'm looking forward to getting in the air with a bit more battery. It definitely won't have a problem with the weight.

I think I'm actually going to a side by side review with this and the UMX Timber since I have that plane and it seems to be aimed at a similar market. Hopefully I'll have more good weather this weekend! Might even get the sea duck in the air (if I quit messing around with this beaver!)

K3V0

Elite member
So. Much. Fun! I was grinning as soon as the video opens up. 😁 you also proved it’s a durable plane, that was great to see. Nice landing to finish on too!
I’m taking the adventure out tomorrow morning. Did you adjust the rates at all? The manual (Ya, I’m that kinda guy🙄) measures them in mm vs degrees. I measured at the tips of the control surfaces and it seemed close enough that I was gonna leave it and adjust if needed post maiden flight.
Also had to add that a comparison video would be cool to see!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
So. Much. Fun! I was grinning as soon as the video opens up. 😁 you also proved it’s a durable plane, that was great to see. Nice landing to finish on too!
I’m taking the adventure out tomorrow morning. Did you adjust the rates at all? The manual (Ya, I’m that kinda guy🙄) measures them in mm vs degrees. I measured at the tips of the control surfaces and it seemed close enough that I was gonna leave it and adjust if needed post maiden flight.
Also had to add that a comparison video would be cool to see!
What better way to test durability than to fly it into frozen tractor ruts! 🤣

I usually dont measure throws, I just set a switch up on my transmitter to adjust rates after I get in the air. In this case I also had the As3x rates on the same switch for simplicity. I usually spend a bit more time playing with them on a maiden but we didn't have a lot of time that morning. I did fly quite a bit of that with no dr or expo and the plane flew pretty darn nice as is so I dont think you'd have any trouble on yours.

jaysmc

WHY SO MANY DIFFERENT CONNECTORS!!!! :rolleyes:
1.0 1.25 1.5 2.0 2.54 and any of them can be wired diffently!

Thank you Hondo for the photo illustrating the different connector sizes. It will definitely save me from pulling more of my hair out trying to get my receiver connected.

When my FT Adventure arrived I was planning on using an AR620 receiver, as I already have several. But after seeing the small space I had to work with, I decided to order an AR6335, which would be much easier to fit, plus the added bonus of AS3X.

When the AR6335 arrived, I discovered that the servo plugs are smaller than the sockets on the receiver! This is my first micro, and all these different Barbie size connectors are a source of frustration to say the least. To add to the frustration, in the manual it says they have adapters available specifically for AR63** receivers, just order part FLT-8023. Go to the FliteTest store and search for that part number, it doesn't exist. In fact, try searching for all the spare part numbers listed on the back of the manual... none of them exist yet.

Fortunately, I have excellent soldering skills, I just don't have a stock of connectors like you do. So, I'm going to order some connectors from amazon and make my own adapters.

I'm confident that someday soon I'll be able to get my Adventure into the air.