New flying car... we can all build? First full scale FT kit?

I want one, but...

• Total voters

JGplanes

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this. It was just posted a few days ago, but it is a dream come true for me. I've sketched and scrap-booked flying cars for years now, and this one comes closest to what is needed to make it a reality. It's super simple, easy to fly, and ultralight class; so I'm sure it's not beyond the reach of most of our FT community to design and build one in their garage. Anybody else as crazy as I am about making this the first full scale FT kit? Andres, Peter, Anyone...? Anyone want to sponsor???

JG

b-29er

I'm going to assume that company REALLY went the extra mile to get some green lights from the FAA. Because of the requirement for an unpowered stall speed of 24 knots that i would highly doubt that aircraft could achieve with such stubby wings and a fuselage that has a 45 degree negative angle of attack in wing level flight, i would suspect trying to re-create that without submerging into a swimming pool of FAA paperwork would suck the fun out of it.

JGplanes

Good point. I’m not not an engineer, but it seems pretty achievable. That’s pretty slow. Maybe fill the main body with helium? :p

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
As exciting as this is, if it ever gets to be popular enough for the price to drop, Fox and Huffpo will publish cries from 'the public' for politicians to 'do something about the rising threat' and the FAA will ban it.

Namactual

Elite member
Honestly guys, the last thing I want to see is flying cars.

Everyday I see what kind of damage the majority of the population is capable of driving a 2-3 ton vehicle on the ground. I do not want to even think about what would happen if you give these people flying machines.

Seriously though, that is a cool little machine. If you do attempt build something like this, keep us posted.(y)

b-29er

Wow... I’m shocked at the unpositive comments.

Think of it as a paraplane substitute.

I mean, it really isnt though. A paramotor/paraplane:
+is cheaper
+more compact
+gives an open air feeling rather than an enclosed cockpit
+has fewer points of failure (single engine vs. 8 motors)
+can land in a glide without flipping over in case of an emergency
+has better range
+can be refueled at any gas station
+man portable.
+capable of acrobatics
+Does not require you to take the FAA written test the Blackfly's creator has stated you will need to take
-Takes longer to set up

Its kind of a novelty item. Because of FAA ultralight regs, it can't go faster than 55kts and can't fly over towns, cities, and large gatherings of people, and also can't fly in A B C D or E airspace which makes it fairly useless as a flying car. On top of this, the range at 25 miles means its good for like a 20 minute flight and then you have to sit for half an hour minimum to charge, if you happen to land at a quick charger. Oh and if you need to charge abroad, unlike an electric car, paraglider, or electric scooter, there is no means of locomotion, so good luck running an extension cord or asking strangers to help you carry your flying lima bean to the nearest charging station. I can see a use for the Canada version, being able to fly 40 miles at 67mph may pose some use in the more rugged areas if you need to fly 15 miles out into the wilderness and back to check on something...not the U.S. version, sorry. Cool concept, may be nice when regulations catch up and battery tech improves. As it sits, i'd rather invest in a paramotor.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Ok. Then there is the new Aston Martin.

The build it yourself concept is pretty cool, but this raises the bar considerably if they build this. And that dashboard... Oh my.

It almost makes me want to move to the UK.

JGplanes

Oh, wow! Thanks for the videos. I hadn't seen this one. Very nice, but as most Aston's are out of my budget, I'll probably revert to my foamboard flying car. :)

skymaster

Elite member
wow all this vehicles are very nice to dream of. but everyone has not even thought of the bad news for us in the hobby. these are the things that are trying to keep us from having the right to fly a model aircraft. if these come to life then the FAA will say that model aircraft are a danger to these flying objects. since they said that they are not able not fly on populated areas they are going to fly where we have fun. these are the people that are after the rule 336 which allows us to fly model aircraft. or am i wrong?

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
wow all this vehicles are very nice to dream of. but everyone has not even thought of the bad news for us in the hobby. these are the things that are trying to keep us from having the right to fly a model aircraft. if these come to life then the FAA will say that model aircraft are a danger to these flying objects. since they said that they are not able not fly on populated areas they are going to fly where we have fun. these are the people that are after the rule 336 which allows us to fly model aircraft. or am i wrong?
You never know what the FAA is going to say but pilots of small aircraft are generally our friends.
It Is the paranoid general public who’s only experience with aviation is finding the right seat on the airliner, they’re the ones are going to be the problem