New Foam Board at Walmart 0.88C sheet

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
I found it at my local walmart the foam board is always all banged up and this was the case with this board. Seems ad dollar tree its not as torn up most of the time...

FeWolf

I got mine in good shape, may because they had it out in the box and center pieces are undamaged I use Plasti Dip spray on mine in light coats, no issues with bends "A" or "B", i tend to clean out the channels before i do my folds with a dowel rod or a piece of old foam through the channel several times. I am building the Fogey so there is not as many bends as other designs. I have not had time to finish because it is Kayak race season. As you can see from the picture there is no winkle, and for 88 cents, I do not except much, so I was pleasantly surprised!

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Ok, now I'm sold on this foam.

My spitfire had a horrible vertical landing into rocks today, 4 inches of the nose were destroyed, everything back was pristine! Also, I left a sample I'd painted in the rain last night, and today it was still just as solid, no warps, no wrinkles, and the paper was still just as hard to peel off.
I like this stuff!:D

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Glad I could help out!

Finally got to walmart. Very nice foam board. No wavy lines like the adams board. I didn't weigh it but it sure seems lightweight.

They had various colored boards as well as white but they were over $3 for color. Still cheap considering you wouldn't have to paint them.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Finally got to walmart. Very nice foam board. No wavy lines like the adams board. I didn't weigh it but it sure seems lightweight.

They had various colored boards as well as white but they were over $3 for color. Still cheap considering you wouldn't have to paint them.

Were the colored one ROSS foam boards or Elmers? The only colored Walmart foam board I've seen so far was Elmers. :confused:

RAM

Were the colored one ROSS foam boards or Elmers? The only colored Walmart foam board I've seen so far was Elmers. :confused:

Hmm, not absolutely sure.

Now I have to go back and look again :) More boards for me

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Just weighed some of each.

Adams = 114 grams/sheet
Ross = 134 grams/sheet

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Ok, now I'm sold on this foam.

My spitfire had a horrible vertical landing into rocks today, 4 inches of the nose were destroyed, everything back was pristine! Also, I left a sample I'd painted in the rain last night, and today it was still just as solid, no warps, no wrinkles, and the paper was still just as hard to peel off.
I like this stuff!:D

It held up after getting wet?!

@Dan is this what you're seeing too?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor

I haven't built anything with mine yet. Have four sheets sitting here but haven't decided what to do with them yet.

RAM

I haven't built anything with mine yet. Have four sheets sitting here but haven't decided what to do with them yet.

I would soak them in water. No sacrifice is too great for the forum.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member

Not only that, I also landed my spitfire in a super wet field (impatient flight right after rainstorm) and the whole bottom of the plane was soaked, as well as some splash on to the wings. I let it dry inside over night, and no issues, it was as solid as when I had built it. :D

I'll post a photo of the underside of the wings, but be warned, its noseless right now...:p

FeWolf

The Colored foam board is Adams and also a off shoot band, I did not like the Black board I got, was use half the plane in white. the other in black, the black started peeling right away, ended up using a sealer on it, glad I bought only a few sheets of Blk, will not buy anymore.

RAM

The Colored foam board is Adams and also a off shoot band, I did not like the Black board I got, was use half the plane in white. the other in black, the black started peeling right away, ended up using a sealer on it, glad I bought only a few sheets of Blk, will not buy anymore.

thx for clarifying that. I haven't been back to check my mistake.

LooseBruce

Adams or Ross foamboard??

Hi Guys,
I just saw the Ross foamboard at Wal Mart. What they have here is very smooth and bright. It looks great.There is not the waviness that the Adams board usually has.
I am torn. I want to build the Tiny Trainer with the sailplane wing. I usually like to remove paper wherever I can and replace with packing tape. I also cover EVEYTHING with packing tape to both waterproof and color.I did loose my Mini Guinea recently because it was lost in a hay field in a thunderstorm overnight. All of the paper delaminated underneath the packing tape. I think I just answered my own question while typing.

I am going to try the Wal Mart foam.
LooseBruce

heatvent

So I started building the FT Mustang with the board and have a few observations.

• I know Walmart's site says the board is 3/16 but it seems a bit thicker, I measured it at about 5.4mm thickness which is thicker than 3/16 and about 1mm thicker than the DGFB
  • Some said the paper peeled right off..that was not my experience, it's adhered to the foam pretty well on the sheets I got. The DGFB is smooth foam with paper glued lightly to it. The Ross foam board seems to be adhered to the paper almost melted to it. I actually had to filet the board to cut the paper off with a razor.
  • Paper is nice and heavy, has a nice feel and bright white.
  • The foam is spongier than the DGFB and seems to have more memory to stay straight.
  • I didn't see the wavy spots like I see in the DGFB.
  • If you want to use with the FT plans you will need to tweak some of your cuts because the extra thickness will make a b-fold 2mm wider and an a-fold 1mm taller which can make a difference. Also the red lines need to be a little wider to accomodate the wider foam

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I built a pusher Versa Wing with two sheets of the ROSS foam board (RFB).

The build experience was similar to Adams Readi-Board (a.k.a. Dollar Tree Foam Board - DTFB, and Flite Test Foam - FTF). There were no A/B folds so I can't comment yet on making cavities or removing paper. Bevel cuts were very comparable to DTFB/FTF. Creasing and folding the wings was also very comparable. Overall the build experience was pretty much the same. I will have to build something that requires A/B folds for further testing. I did not notice a difference in the foam thickness, but I will check that out as well.

Now for the really interesting part. I got a couple of flights in with the Versa last Tuesday. Seemed a little lack luster for power with a 9x4.7 prop. But, other than that, it flew great. For the third flight I put an 8x6 prop on it. Better performance, but something wasn't right. It wasn't responding to the control inputs like it was on the first two flights. I couldn't get it to turn correctly anymore and when I try pulling up it started to roll. I tried to get it turned around but couldn't and when it started to dive in I cut the throttle and watched it go into the trees. It was too far away to see exactly where it went in. I looked for it for about an hour and it was no where to be found. Went home disgusted. A couple days passed and I started to forget about the plane and moved on.

Last night one of the neighbor boys came to the house with my Versa wing in hand. I couldn't believe it. By this time I had figured I would never see it again. This thing was sitting outside for 9 days! There is a little damage to the foam from where it went through the trees, but other than that, the foam is in great shape. No de-laminated paper anywhere. The battery drained down to nothing, so I think it's shot, but I plugged in a fresh LiPo and all the electronics are working fine. I think I'm a fan of the ROSS foam board.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I'm pretty sure I know what caused the control issues too. I did not scuff the servo and used very little glue to attach the servos. One of them is completely loose inside the wing. Now, this could have been caused by the crash, but given how it was flying at the time, I think it let loose shortly after takeoff. :black_eyed:

Here is what it looked like after sitting outside for 9 days!

20150731_064843.jpg

20150731_064858.jpg