New Foam Board at Walmart 0.88C sheet

Pancho

Ross foamboard doesn't need waterproofing. What is your comment referring too?

I see that it is waterproof.

I was thinking of sealing it more for painting - being able to tape designs and peel off without pulling the paper, resisting getting dirty (finger prints), and for taped access hatches...easier to peal off without pulling up the paper?

And then see if hot glue will stick to the water based minwax. Flite Test did a video on sealing and showed sealing the board before building, then had a disclaimer that hot glue would not stick to the pre-sealed boards.

offaxis

I see that it is waterproof.

I was thinking of sealing it more for painting - being able to tape designs and peel off without pulling the paper, resisting getting dirty (finger prints), and for taped access hatches...easier to peal off without pulling up the paper?

And then see if hot glue will stick to the water based minwax. Flite Test did a video on sealing and showed sealing the board before building, then had a disclaimer that hot glue would not stick to the pre-sealed boards.
I used frogtape shape tape to create the Chevron pattern no problem and it didn't lift the paper one bit. I can't attach the picture from my phone. Please look back at my other post with the picture. I don't think the surface can get any better for applying paint then it already is.

offaxis

Also, once the paper is removed, beveling the foam is super easy with a sanding block. It comes out almost perfect. Example is SS nnP-39
download_20150825_221725.jpg
IMG_20150825_220322.jpg

offaxis

If you interested in purchasing the foam board, follow these steps:
1. Find a local walmart that carries the product in the store. (Typically if it shows out of stock on line at that store, they don't carry it.)
2. Call the walmart that carries the product and ask for current stock levels.
3. Talk with the manager of the stationary department and place an order with them.
4. Wait for it to come into the store.
5. The manager will call you to pick it up when it arrives in the store.

There are 25 sheets per box. I currently have two boxes on order from my local walmart and they said it will be about 3 weeks till delivery.

offaxis

No. Everything in white is raw foam board.

This plane only contains: ROSS foam board, hot glue, blue paint and some packaging tape on underside seams of the wing.

Last edited:

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
Great demonstration of the differences in the foam board.

I will say, in regard to waterproofing, I've always used oil based SATIN minwax prior to assembling my planes. The satin finish has enough texture to grip the hot glue and makes the paper much more durable.

I'm sure it would work even better on the ROSS board since the paper appears to be glued to the foam where Adams board is attached only by heat.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I'll ask the question then.

When will FT switch to this superior foam board?

Gryf

Largely as a result of this thread, I recently built a Bloody Baron using Ross board. It flies great, and I think the Ross stuff just looks better than DTFB when left unpainted. It's nice to work with, too. Hopefully Wal-Mart will keep enough in stock so I can pick up a few sheets now and then. Last time I bought five or six sheets, and it was all they had. We'll see how it works out for durability. I sealed all the edges with hot glue, but I'll be interested to see how well it resists warping due to humidity, wet grass, etc.

Thanks!

Gryf

Last edited:

Pat

Great article.
I don't use the stuff from the dollar tree store ether. I don't know why they continue to use it because of the way the paper delaminates from the foam. I live in Ontario and I don't think the Canadian Walmart sell the ROSS board. I use the Elmer's board from Dollarama. It's not the same as the stuff you get from a craft store. It is very similar to the ROSS board. Another source is from Staples. They have there own brand and come in a 3 pack. I prefer the Dollarama board just because it's cheaper.

offaxis

The reason flitetest doesn't use ROSS foam board is because it doesn't crash well. Ross explodes more then dtfb does.

Pancho

I stopped at my local Walmart and picked up several of the Ross foam boards. Corners are bent on most, but for my next projects, that stuff will be cut off.

I did see another foam board while I was there - Ghostline Foam Board from Carolina Pad and Paper. The dimensions are different at 22 x 28 and .3" thick. It is a fairly high gloss foam board, with one side having ghost grid lines on it. And, it is $2.77 a board. It is also almost double the weight. Might be an option for a gloss finish in an application where the weight works....like a versa wing slope soarer? I grabbed a piece just to have for that project where you say...."You know what would work here?"

Winglet

Fried the esc on my Bushwacker while over the lake. It didn't quite make it to shore and flipped on it's back in the water. I had covered most of the airplane in packing tape. Somehow the airplane floated inverted on mostly the wing for about an hour before blowing ashore. The wing looked sad. The DTFB came completely apart. The fuse hardly got wet and the tape helped. As luck would have it. I had purchased 7 sheets of Ross board the day before. I quickly constructed a replacement wing from the Ross board. I can't tell any difference at all in the thickness of the board. No adjustment were needed. The airplane flys as good or better with the Ross wing. Because the paper is so much better I omitted the tape on the Ross wing. I think it is easier to bevel and work with in general. Love this stuff!