New FPV antenna idea?

gecko242

Firstly, i have not tried any of these ideas, nor am i an elite FPV pilot, however i was thinking about this idea, and...

CP cloverleaf antennas work best when they are parallel. If the antennas become out of phase, the signal strength massively drops. This effect is even more prominent in "Rubber Ducky" antennas.

What if one were to mount the fpv transmitter, or even the antenna? onto a brushless gimbal placed on a multicopter/plane?

This would keep the antenna vertical 100% of the time, resulting in a better signal strength :D

Again, this is only a concept, and haven't seen anything on it, but just throwing this idea out there...

Geck

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
That and they reject single bounce reflections, but other than staying out of the nulls of the antenna, orentaion isn't an issue with CP. For cloverleafs, the patterns should be pretty fat and omni, with the exception of the nulls at the zenith and naider of the antenna. Unlike linear polarization, getting "out of polarization" with a CP antenna generally involves changing the antennas, not the antennas position.

An interesting idea for a linear antenna, perhaps, but better to save the gimbal for cameras, drink carriers, launch pads, nerf guns . . .

BTW, Gecko, Welcome to the forum :)

gecko242

Cheers for the replies guys, and yeah, needs some refinement, but i agree with Dan, not spilling your drink is waaayyyy more important than seeing where the effing thing is going :D