New FPV Platform

saundw

I'm looking for a new FPV platform. It needs to carry a lot of weight and be relatively fast. I'm looking at the Zephyr II. The plane also needs to not crash easily. I just wrecked my Easystar and am looking for a new plane. Am I the only one that feels like the easystar isn't a great FPV platform? Anyway, thanks in advance for any feedback.

THANKS

Will

bmsweb

Site Moderator
I'm not sure about the crash easily, as that really comes down to pilot skill. I think the Zephyr II is a great plane but I haven't liked the footage that comes from them as they don't seem to be tracking straight but rather have some degree of oscillation from left to right. I'm saying this because you want to carry a lot of weight, I assume you mean camera like GoPro etc.

I was actually planing on going from the Bixler to the Zephyr II but have since changed my mind. I would be interested to see what others think. I wouldn't mind finding out some more info about the x8 flying wing.

Good Luck :)

UndCon

UndCon
I agree with the motion due to not tracking straight - but that comes with the design of a flying wing unless you go for a Super Alulah 2m

I am very happy with my Skywalker, plenty of room and you can carry loads of batteries along if you like

I have also been looking at the Bormatec Maja as I really like the design but It is a bit faster than my likings and they only had 1 offering on the wing at that time (flaps and increased span would help)

The X8 seems like a winner with loads of storage.

Last edited:

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Love the Skywalker but mine doesn't seem as roomy ;)

SkyWalker24.jpg

Interestingly the TekSumo seems to track better than the Zephyr. I don't have a gopro on it but through the FPV Goggles its rock solid.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
compiled machine code :D

Love it :applause: If it flies as good as the full scale one I'll be over the moon. I may need to also add an OSD . . just been a little reluctant due to the weight and room issue.

BTW: I showed my son the Bormatec Maja, and he said if we flew that we would be arrested lol

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
This is a great FPV platform the cockpit is massive ......check it out its pretty cheap too
Its called the hobbyking fpv raptor....wingspan is 1600mm and you can get a 2mtr wing that fits the same fuse

Last edited:

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Looks pretty good Brian, is that yours and have you flown it? Any additional information about it would be great :)

saundw

I am looking at the EPP FPV on Hobbyking. The only thing is, I am buying dragonlink, and on their website, they say that pusher type planes are really inefficient. UGH! I don't know what to do!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I am looking at the EPP FPV on Hobbyking. The only thing is, I am buying dragonlink, and on their website, they say that pusher type planes are really inefficient. UGH! I don't know what to do!

Convert it to a twin engine :)

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
Looks pretty good Brian, is that yours and have you flown it? Any additional information about it would be great :)
Yes Paul she is mine and no I have not flown it yet I have the FPV camera and a nice HD camera for onboard footage but i have no groundstation set up yet. It was only $70.00 + shipping from HK and that was artf. I have installed flaps and it all looks like a nice flyer its a sin I know because it has been under the bed ready to go for 4 months now....I am saving the maiden for when there are a few boats in the docks here in Southampton and I will fly down on the river Ichen where you can see them all lined up in dock rcfoamfighters do a great review on it and they really show off the massive cockpit the guy takes off from the grass no problem because the fuse is blown moulded plastic and is as tough as old boots

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Thanks Brian, It looks like a great plane! I love the fact that the Fuselage isn't Foam . . only because of the added room you gain!! I'm pretty sure I could even work out neat wiring on that bird.

. . . .I am buying dragonlink, and on their website, they say that pusher type planes are really inefficient. UGH! I don't know what to do!
I depends on what you're using the plane for, If you want to stick a GoPro on the front then a prop in the way is going to kill the footage. In fact even without a gopro i don't want to be looking at a prop during my FPV flight.

My Bixler on a single 2200mah battery gets about 30min of safe flying time and cruising at about 50klm/ph that doesn't sound too bad to me. For the record I've never liked pushers but for FPV it the easiest solution.

Google UAV, then click on the image search and have a look at the military ones that come up, even they seem to think pusher is the way to go.