New FPV Racing Quad, Transmitter, and Plane Suggestions

willieb

I'm posting in multirotors because that's the main request for suggestions.

Hello all, first of all, love FT. Most especially the push for family friendly content!

I've always loved R/C and have been in and out of it for 30 years. I greatly favor the electric side of it and love the technology increase over the years. I'm well experienced in electronics, computers, networking, pretty much anything technical.

Currently I have a Taranis X9D Plus (Love it), an FMS Super EZ Trainer plane, and a scratch-built ZMR250 based quad I'm installing FPV on within the next few days. I also have an Eachine E010S I just received a couple days ago, some Quanum V2 Pro goggles, and Quanum Cyclops (V1). I just sold my Phantom 3 Pro yesterday for $500 and I'm looking to buy at least 1 more transmitter, some FT planes with power pods, and another FPV quad for my kids to start learning on. I also have a few toy grade quads but I don't really count those but they are still fun. I also like plane and quad simulators so I'll keep that in mind when purchasing a transmitter.

I have 2 boys, 15 and 12. I've about lost the oldest to girls and X-Box lol but the youngest is gung ho ready to fly. The oldest will fly too but it's hard to keep his attention for long. Anyway...

Trying to get the most out of $500 for a quad and plane(s). I'm thinking of purchasing:

Transmitter (Requirements are 6 channels or more, buddy box capable, and USB to computer for simulators):
Taranis Q X7 or Flysky 6 or 10 channel. (Thinking seriously about the Q X7 since I already have Frsky receivers, or may purchase both.)

FT Planes:
Mighty Mini Trainer with power pack A
Simple Storch with power pack C

Quad:
Eachine Wizard X220
I know this is a cheap quad but from what I've read/seen you get a lot for your $142. I think this would be a good starting point for my sons and would give my ZMR250 fierce competition. If I can find a US location to order from would be great. I hate waiting on the slow boat.

Any other suggestions you guys and gals may have? Thanks!

Last edited:

FPVology

If it were me-
TX: QX7
Fixed Wing: Mighty Mini Trainer with power pack A
Quad: Scratch build a super cheap ZMR250 (or smaller) together

and welcome!!!!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I'd go QX7, an FT210 and a Tiny trainer and corresponding power pack if the funding lasted. After that spare motor an esc for the zmr clone and probably same for the 210 build in case of a problem down the road.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Willie,
Wow what a thorough introduction. Lately I've had to encourage many new forum members to let us all know who they are but you have given us so much it helps us make a more meaningful connection to the person behind the post. Thank you and welcome to the forum.
—Jim

willieb

Thanks for the replies and hey, no problem Jim. Thanks for the welcome all I appreciate it. Also thanks for the suggestions as well, any more are welcome!

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Another vote for the QX7, use the receivers you already have.

Tiny trainer is a great option. I'm also a fan of the FT mini sparrow. It's a fun flyer and can glide well too. It was my first build, and I think it was easier than the TT. I think your boys would love it.

I usually enjoy the building more than the flying, so I'd suggest planning a quad build that you could get your sons involved in. Teach them some easy soldering skills ;) Also, when they break it, they'll know how to fix it. Then again, there is a lot of value in the wizard.

willieb

Thanks again everyone. I may build another ZMR250 soon, but mainly for budget reasons I'm sticking with the Wizard for now. It would cost a good bit more to go ZMR250 again. Plus gets us in the air quick. Here is a tentative list based on suggestions. For a list including links go here.

RC List.JPG

Last edited:

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
That looks like a nice shopping cart.

Do you need two transmitters? The QX7 should natively plug in as a simulator joystick, so you can probably skip the dongle too.

willieb

That looks like a nice shopping cart.

Do you need two transmitters? The QX7 should natively plug in as a simulator joystick, so you can probably skip the dongle too.

Thanks for the reply. This will give me 3 transmitters total, one for me and my 2 sons to be able to fly at the same time (and using sims). The dongle is for the flysky not the QX7.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I know the Wizard is cost effective out of the box. Did you take int consideration later repairs as I am sure they will be needed. Proprietary parts tend to be more expensive as well as much harder to work around for upgrades or changes. Not to mention the row boat from China to get parts (for most not positive on where the Wizard spares would ship from). Just something to factor in specially if you are working with kids who tend to be far more rough on things then we would be. Flying 5 minutes or less then waiting weeks for parts will quickly put a damper on the enthusiasm about flying.

willieb

This is true, good point PsyBorg. I'll keep that in mind, maybe even order some spare parts soon. I surely don't like the slow boat.

willieb

Alright guys, most everything on the list was ordered, and then some. Thanks again for the suggestions. There's a lot of great content here on these forums. I've been browsing around when I can.