New Frame Concept CFP - T Mark-03

crlock

Hi guys, this past few months i've been working on a tricopter concept a little bit different.
The ultimate goal of this frame is to be able to have different COG's in one platform. Wether it is for fpv, or stunts.
I'm not the best of pilots, in fact i'm still learning to fly multirotors, so i could not be the best of judges to decide if it is a good flight platform or not, i'll leave that to you guys ;)

this is the mark-02, here are the three positions of the arms. Normal - High - Low COG

8732387879_1fba0fc920_b.jpg

8733499902_a62698b25a_b.jpg

8732375529_33140f75a6_b.jpg

The revised Mark 03

The material here was pretty weak, i think you call it plywood (terciado aquí en chile) so i needed something stronger and stiffer, the plywood began to get crooked with time and temperature changes. Enters the Carbon fiber.

I loved it, Super strong, and relatively easy to work with. much more heavier than the plywood, of course because of the thikness i went with. 3mm is too much, for the next frame, i will use 2mm, and i think that will be more than enough for my needs.

The overall weight ended being around 1300 grams (3lbs), with everything on it 3S battery and gopro.

9378638523_7ffa178b30_c.jpg

9378691353_9b907c3323_z.jpg

9381471264_5800a58f03_b.jpg

9378679365_b7cb30d63b_b.jpg

This is the vibration dampening system i designed using sophisticated materials and stuff and rubber, never underestimate the power of rubber bands :cool:
9378673733_daa63dbd0d_c.jpg

9381437150_b28f63ecfb_b.jpg

As soon i have onboard footage, i'll post some videos of the dampening system.

The switch to power the board, simple elegant and very handy
9378646821_cbcbc25e15_b.jpg

Landing pads, not the most sophisticated, but works great :)
9378655889_a8104f8a6a_b.jpg

The belly of the beast, the battery fits very nicely and you can move it forward or backwards if you have the gopro installed or not.
9381428364_352652ccda_b.jpg

Yaw mechanism, very simple and designed to protect the servo. if you crash, the connecting rods simply snap away from the moving arms, and you save your servo

9378667899_66e5ccb7d5_b.jpg

9381449828_9d02e1b1a1_b.jpg

9378659705_7a7b9ee849_c.jpg

and a video of the rig flying. i have not set up the self level on the KK2 board yet, tomorrow i will, maybe it will be even more stable :)

Hope you guys like it, i'm fixing a few bugs i found, i will post the plans once i have them finished. Stay tunned

Cheers

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Cool, man! I think it could be useful like for hanging a camera gimbal underneath it, you could really fine tune the vertical CG!

crlock

Definitely a novel design. I want to see a version where the modes can switch mid-air. ;)

it's on my mind trustme, i need to figure out how to lock in place the arms, currently i do it with a pin, i need something more sophisticated than that jejejje

crlock

I'm a little pist off, the motors i bought are garbage, NTM Propdrive 2830 - 800 kv. i bought 3, one came with bad bearings right out of the box (bag in this case) and a second one just blew the bearings a couple of minutes ago. i fired the tricopter up, and noticed a faint clicking sound from the motor, didn't pay enough attention, and two minutes later the sound was very loud, upon further inspection, bad bearings.... i have two more motors on the way from hobbyking, im praying to the gods of flight, that they have better bearings than this ones.
do you guys have any advice on decent motors? i'm looking on the 800-1000 kv range.

Cheers

xtrmtrk

I fly BP Hobbies Cheetah, Keda, SunnySky, and Tiger Motors. I like them in that (increasing) order. SunnySky especially seem to have great quality at a reasonable price.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Unique idea for a frame.

That much 3mm CF must have cost a fortune. You can probably drive a car over it with no damage!

crlock

Unique idea for a frame.

That much 3mm CF must have cost a fortune. You can probably drive a car over it with no damage!

fortunately not that much :) only 98 bucks for two 400x250x3mm plates it's the cheap chinese one, good quality though, but it's heavy as a tank, the frame alone weight 400 grams. the MK4 will have thinner and less CF, aluminum joints and better landing pads, and an option to mount a bigger camer underneath.

The joints i'm using now are made from instamorph, and have way too much play when i have a rough landing (wich is most of the time :p), so i have to constantly reset the arms position.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
:applause: I spotted the instamorph right away. But I thought you were the same guy that did the other yaw mech, so I didn't mention it.

crlock

i'm the same guy jejeje instamorph rocks, but i need something stronger to keep the arms in their position.

crlock

I forgot to mention, i took the idea from Ghost recon FS and the Recon Drone, here is a pic.

of course that dron is equiped with emp grenades, frag grenades and heat vision. i have to settle with gopro vision :p
grfs-drones2.jpg

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I have a little experience looking into articulated arms, A few years ago, I did a "re-imagined" turret for an old PC game from the late 90's called 'Battlezone'. I tried to give a whacky concept a much more 'hyper-realistic' look and function.

One thing that can be done to obtain rigidity, is to put a skewer or thin CF tube from hinge to hinge and somehow have one hinged but locked and the other end able to slide, then lock into position. Or a smaller opposing hinged arm, but that requires too much added weight.

SUNRISE.jpg

crlock

I have a little experience looking into articulated arms, A few years ago, I did a "re-imagined" turret for an old PC game from the late 90's called 'Battlezone'. I tried to give a whacky concept a much more 'hyper-realistic' look and function.

One thing that can be done to obtain rigidity, is to put a skewer or thin CF tube from hinge to hinge and somehow have one hinged but locked and the other end able to slide, then lock into position. Or a smaller opposing hinged arm, but that requires too much added weight.

SUNRISE.jpg

i was thinking of something along those lines, but to be automated it would need at least 6 extra servos, not to mention something to control those servos, or maybe motors to drive a screw , i don't now its name in english, we call it "sin Fin" or without end. to move the arms into position, but the added weight would be tremendous.
The chalenge here is the automation, something strong enough to handle rough landings or crashes, and capable of maintaining a position despite the thrust of the propellers, fast enough to switch betwen modes and, light weight.

i devised a pretty nifty landing gear, this weekend i will be testing it =D you guys will love it
cheers

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
if you could find some light enough, linear actuators would be awesome! They are basically a jack screw driven by a motor and could stop anywhere and be strong...

crlock

I did a couple of adjustments to the frame design, to save weight and a better locking system for the arms, I ordered a thinner CF plate and aluminum parts. Unfortunately, the post office is on strike, so all my parts will be delayed at least a month T_T

In the meantime, i'll do a simplecopter build with some spare parts i have laying around :)