New FT Legacy Has Been released!!!!

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
i just saw that the ft legacy has been released again.
along with the pre colour printed sbk's for the T-28 Trojan.
Post here if youre buying one of them

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
SkyFX Air Force T-28
Those are amazing. I just wish something simpler had it. something like the mini guinea. those master series are not something I think I can do neither is it cheap enough for me. sorry about the ranting. I have always just wanted a mini guinea with a nice cargo paint scheme. keep that in mind if you can please, as a tip, @FTCA Director thanks so much for the SkyFx kits though. they look amazing. Thanks @amazing creator

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Those are amazing. I just wish something simpler had it. something like the mini guinea. those master series are not something I think I can do neither is it cheap enough for me. sorry about the ranting. I have always just wanted a mini guinea with a nice cargo paint scheme. keep that in mind if you can please, as a tip, @FTCA Director thanks so much for the SkyFx kits though. they look amazing. Thanks @amazing creator
The mighty minis that John designed are not as difficult as Master Series.

SSgt Duramax

I bought the Jolly Roger T28. I was torn between the classic orange and white and that.

At the end of the day i am a sucker for jolly roger planes. When that F18 finally comes out, and there is a jolly roger livery.. take my money.

Whats the difference between the legacy and the v2? Just the gear? I was going to build a legacy fuse kind of backburnerish. If they just had the fuselage like the explorer i may have bought it.

SSgt Duramax

good to know. theyre just a little out of the bank if I buy fts power pack. tahts why I asked for a simpler design to be converted to skyfx also trainers would be nice to have in that series
I already have the electronics. I had even ordered some 5g servos for the mighty mini F4U I had ordered. I had ordered a batch of receivers a while back, so I won't worry about sealing it up in the plane. I actually think it will be getting "old trusty" which is a ragged out 2206 I had gotten off ebay way back in the day for my first FT plane which was the mini arrow.

At the end of the day, the way I looked at it, is if I wanted to make a plane look like that it would cost me at least 5 bucks for the paint, and then whatever the decals cost, and on top of that the "me factor" in putting them on. It gets close to that $25 or something for it to be professionally printed on.

I get that you are getting close to the price of a PNP trojan if you buy everything from the FT store, but I had lusted after one of their trojans for a while. Plus, I don't mind supporting them and I needed wheels anyways. I will also be able to trace out the foam board and make templates. I may actually build/fly a scratch one first to get used to flying it so I don't stuff my pretty one. Learn from a crappy one first, right?

On that note, for a trainer MS type mini, I would suggest a Beaver. That would be awesome!

VH-IDO_De_Havilland_Canada_DHC-2_Beaver_Mk1_Airwaves_Gold_Coast_%288402101541%29.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I bought the Jolly Roger T28. I was torn between the classic orange and white and that.

At the end of the day i am a sucker for jolly roger planes. When that F18 finally comes out, and there is a jolly roger livery.. take my money.

Whats the difference between the legacy and the v2? Just the gear? I was going to build a legacy fuse kind of backburnerish. If they just had the fuselage like the explorer i may have bought it.

Me too!!! LOVE the Rogers..

This one is even custom designed by forum members with a personalized logo. (if interested https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/dat-rhino.36276/ ) @Namactual designed the plane and @kilroy07 cut and did the skins that produced this kit as a surprise gift and left it in my tent at Flite Fest.

IMG_20210126_221427_070.jpg

IMG_20210126_221441_128.jpg

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
QUOTE - Those are amazing. I just wish something simpler had it. something like the mini guinea. those master series are not something I think I can do....

The plan is to give as many FT planes the SkyFX treatment as possible including the traditional FT Swappable and Might Mini series. If we did one for the mini Guinea, I'd want one for my big Guinea as well! Any ideas on what cargo plane to model it after? Show me some pics!

QUOTE - Whats the difference between the legacy and the v2? Just the gear?

SSgt Duramax - I believe it's 3 things. New main gear, Tailwheel, and fins on the horizontal Stab.

QUOTE - At the end of the day, the way I looked at it, is if I wanted to make a plane look like that it would cost me at least 5 bucks for the paint, and then whatever the decals cost, and on top of that the "me factor" in putting them on. It gets close to that $25 or something for it to be professionally printed on.

SSgt Duramax - It's hard to cost-justify the SkyFX. There is nothing really like it on the market to do an apples-to-apples comparison. Doing a DIY comparison is also tricky. Remember that's $5 per color. I'd say 2 to 3 colors including black. It can vary from livery to liver how many main colors it has. Let's say $10 in paint minimum. Then there is the main insignia. A basic set from let's say Callie Graphics (I have worked with her before and she is super!) for the T28 Jolly Rodger is $20. SkyFX planes have nomenclature (the "NO STEP" and "DANGER JET BLAST" stuff) so another $9 for a Callie T-28 nomenclature decal set. Then there are the panel lines and rivet detail. Good luck there! Your time alone on replicating that would significant. How much are hours of your free time worth? So by my count, you are at $39 dollars. Far above the $28 premium of the SkyFX kits. (T28 SkyFX $63 - T28 SBK $35) Now, this does not include your time, applying all the spray paint, (who really has a good place to do that?) taping things off, messing that up and redoing the paint again, (ugh). And then there's those panel lines and rivets...pass the Sharpie and the ruler! o_O

QUOTE - I get that you are getting close to the price of a PNP trojan if you buy everything from the FT store, but I had lusted after one of their trojans for a while. Plus, I don't mind supporting them and I needed wheels anyways.

SSgt Duramax - Thanks for supporting FT! They are a great group of folks who have done so much to promote our hobby in a positive and friendly way!

QUOTE - I will also be able to trace out the foam board and make templates. I may actually build/fly a scratch one first to get used to flying it so I don't stuff my pretty one. Learn from a crappy one first, right?

SSgt Duramax -You nailed it like a boss! These three sentences are so important in my opinion. John Overstreet even said something to this effect in the last PODcast. Learn to fly that FT plane first, then consider a SkyFX upgrade. Nobody should be learning on a SkyFX plane. My opinion. It's their money to "burn and learn".

QUOTE - On that note, for a trainer MS type mini, I would suggest a Beaver. That would be awesome!

I agree! I'll put a bug in the boss's ear. ;)

Last edited:

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
QUOTE - Those are amazing. I just wish something simpler had it. something like the mini guinea. those master series are not something I think I can do....

The plan is to give as many FT planes the SkyFX treatment as possible including the traditional FT Swappable and Might Mini series. If we did one for the mini Guinea, I'd want one for my big Guinea as well! Any ideas on what cargo plane to model it after? Show me some pics!

QUOTE - Whats the difference between the legacy and the v2? Just the gear?

SSgt Duramax - I believe it's 3 things. New main gear, Tailwheel, and fins on the horizontal Stab.

QUOTE - At the end of the day, the way I looked at it, is if I wanted to make a plane look like that it would cost me at least 5 bucks for the paint, and then whatever the decals cost, and on top of that the "me factor" in putting them on. It gets close to that $25 or something for it to be professionally printed on.

SSgt Duramax - It's hard to cost-justify the SkyFX. There is nothing really like it on the market to do an apples-to-apples comparison. Doing a DIY comparison is also tricky. Remember that's $5 per color. I'd say 2 to 3 colors including black. It can vary from livery to liver how many main colors it has. Let's say $10 in paint minimum. Then there is the main insignia. A basic set from let's say Callie Graphics (I have worked with her before and she is super!) for the T28 Jolly Rodger is $20. SkyFX planes have nomenclature (the "NO STEP" and "DANGER JET BLAST" stuff) so another $9 for a Callie T-28 nomenclature decal set. Then there are the panel lines and rivet detail. Good luck there! Your time alone on replicating that would significant. How much are hours of your free time worth? So by my count, you are at $39 dollars. Far above the $28 premium of the SkyFX kits. (T28 SkyFX $63 - T28 SBK $35) Now, this does not include your time, applying all the spray paint, (who really has a good place to do that?) taping things off, messing that up and redoing the paint again, (ugh). And then there's those panel lines and rivets...pass the Sharpie and the ruler! o_O

QUOTE - I get that you are getting close to the price of a PNP trojan if you buy everything from the FT store, but I had lusted after one of their trojans for a while. Plus, I don't mind supporting them and I needed wheels anyways.

SSgt Duramax - Thanks for supporting FT! They are a great group of folks who have done so much to promote our hobby in a positive and friendly way!

QUOTE - I will also be able to trace out the foam board and make templates. I may actually build/fly a scratch one first to get used to flying it so I don't stuff my pretty one. Learn from a crappy one first, right?

SSgt Duramax -You nailed it like a boss! These three sentences are so important in my opinion. John Overstreet even said something to this effect in the last PODcast. Learn to fly that FT plane first, then consider a SkyFX upgrade. Nobody should be learning on a SkyFX plane. My opinion. It's their money to "burn and learn".

QUOTE - On that note, for a trainer MS type mini, I would suggest a Beaver. That would be awesome!

1637683826367.png

Here is a elaborate paint scheme that I would love to see of the plane that the mini guinea was based on. I just built a mini guinea and would love to get a SkyFx upgrade, as @SSgt Duramax suggested. thanks for the consideration, @Rasterize I believe that Master series, even simple to build are not for everyone, and a skyfx twin is needed, so the mini or full size (hopefully mini) guinea should come out with such a paint scheme. the other paint schemes were camouflage, but it would also camouflage it from our eyes in the air. also where did the name SkyFx come from? Another suggestion, for those who already have a plane and just want a skyfx upgrade, there should be some decals in the skyfx printed style that have a sticky back sold. Thats just for your consideration.

SSgt Duramax

Big facts. That is what I was getting at. There is absolutely no way I could do all that myself. I like decorating planes, don't get me wrong, but not that much.
View attachment 212328
Here is a elaborate paint scheme that I would love to see of the plane that the mini guinea was based on. I just built a mini guinea and would love to get a SkyFx upgrade, as @SSgt Duramax suggested. thanks for the consideration, @Rasterize I believe that Master series, even simple to build are not for everyone, and a skyfx twin is needed, so the mini or full size (hopefully mini) guinea should come out with such a paint scheme. the other paint schemes were camouflage, but it would also camouflage it from our eyes in the air. also where did the name SkyFx come from? Another suggestion, for those who already have a plane and just want a skyfx upgrade, there should be some decals in the skyfx printed style that have a sticky back sold. Thats just for your consideration.

You can make your own skins too. I used to make skins for birds I designed for FSX when I still played it. I just don't have a color printer or I would. Download inkscape and start playing with it. I design gauges for cars in there too.

The C-123 is a cool plane. I have thought several times about attempting a master style build on one. We have a couple of old ones we use to teach people how to load patients on C-130s, same basic layout. Old aircraft have a very distinct smell inside. This one probably gets its aroma from the thousands of sweaty people that have gone on and off it, and spatterings of agent orange.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Big facts. That is what I was getting at. There is absolutely no way I could do all that myself. I like decorating planes, don't get me wrong, but not that much.

You can make your own skins too. I used to make skins for birds I designed for FSX when I still played it. I just don't have a color printer or I would. Download inkscape and start playing with it. I design gauges for cars in there too.

The C-123 is a cool plane. I have thought several times about attempting a master style build on one. We have a couple of old ones we use to teach people how to load patients on C-130s, same basic layout. Old aircraft have a very distinct smell inside. This one probably gets its aroma from the thousands of sweaty people that have gone on and off it, and spattering's of agent orange.
yeah. I just don't have access to a colored printer too. I have inkscape, just never went so extreme. I also love the idea of uv printed full size skins. I may start doing it though. thanks for the idea

SSgt Duramax

yeah. I just don't have access to a colored printer too. I have inkscape, just never went so extreme. I also love the idea of uv printed full size skins. I may start doing it though. thanks for the idea
You could always go to office depot if you are dedicated.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
QUOTE FlyerInStyle - Here is a elaborate paint scheme that I would love to see of the plane that the mini guinea was based on. I just built a mini guinea and would love to get a SkyFx upgrade, as suggested. thanks for the consideration, I believe that Master series, even simple to build are not for everyone, and a skyfx twin is needed, so the mini or full size (hopefully mini) guinea should come out with such a paint scheme. the other paint schemes were camouflage, but it would also camouflage it from our eyes in the air.

Agree 100%. I love the scheme! Looks very "thunderbirds" :) A Coast Guard livery would look equally as impressive and easy to see in the air.
1637691572272.png

QUOTE FlyerInStyle - ... where did the name SkyFx come from?

Yeah, that pie had many fingers in it. Some lawyers as well if I understand. The name and logo take forever to get a consensus on.

QUOTE FlyerInStyle - ... Another suggestion, for those who already have a plane and just want a skyfx upgrade, there should be some decals in the skyfx printed style that have a sticky back sold.

That is also in the works. You probably have noticed that the New Master Series kits from FT Midwest now come with a basic decal set making an additional vinyl decal purchase unnecessary unless you want something more special or specific. We will be offering (in the future) alternative decal sets for (at least) your basic master series speed build kits. Other FT planes may also follow suit. For example, let's say you want a DC3 in civilian livery and not the standard C47 US WW2 livery. You could add an additional decal set to your order such as this:
1637688374422.png

Cool huh?

Last edited:

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
QUOTE FlyerInStyle - Here is a elaborate paint scheme that I would love to see of the plane that the mini guinea was based on. I just built a mini guinea and would love to get a SkyFx upgrade, as suggested. thanks for the consideration, I believe that Master series, even simple to build are not for everyone, and a skyfx twin is needed, so the mini or full size (hopefully mini) guinea should come out with such a paint scheme. the other paint schemes were camouflage, but it would also camouflage it from our eyes in the air.

Agree 100%. I love the scheme! Looks very "thunderbirds" :)

QUOTE FlyerInStyle - ... where did the name SkyFx come from?

Yeah, that pie had many fingers in it. Some lawyers as well if I understand. The name and logo take forever to get a consensus on.

QUOTE FlyerInStyle - ... Another suggestion, for those who already have a plane and just want a skyfx upgrade, there should be some decals in the skyfx printed style that have a sticky back sold.

That is also in the works. You probably have noticed that the New Master Series kits from FT Midwest now come with a basic decal set making an additional vinyl decal purchase unnecessary unless you want something more special or specific. We will be offering (in the future) alternative decal sets for (at least) your basic master series speed build kits. Other FT planes may also follow suit. For example, let's say you want a DC3 in civilian livery and not the standard C47 US WW2 livery. You could add an additional decal set to your order such as this:
View attachment 212330
Cool huh?
that is amazing! looking forward to what FT comes up further with this