New FT Legacy

GlassL

Just wondering why they didn't make the new FT Legacy design a trigear like the original? Does FT have something against nose wheel landing gear? The Telemaster 40 was my first RC plane a balsa wood kit. You had to silver solder the two part main struts together making a strong durable structure. Seeing the plane as a tail dragger seems wrong.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I think they chose not to include nose gear because the power pod is in the nose so there isn't a lot of structure to mount nose gear to, and probably because it's easier to add the landing gear as a taildragger after you've built the plane. Setting up landing gear for taildraggers is also a lot simpler.

Why don't you try to mod the Legacy to include Trigear? I'm sure tons of people, myself included, would love to see what you come up with!

GlassL

I think they chose not to include nose gear because the power pod is in the nose so there isn't a lot of structure to mount nose gear to, and probably because it's easier to add the landing gear as a taildragger after you've built the plane. Setting up landing gear for taildraggers is also a lot simpler.

Why don't you try to mod the Legacy to include Trigear? I'm sure tons of people, myself included, would love to see what you come up with!

Yeah I guess I forgot about the swappable power pod concept. Back when I first started all the trainers were trigear designs because it made it harder to nose over on a landing that isn't flared correctly. If you came in and flared late nose wheel would bounce the nose back up and you would porpoise down the runway and look stupid but the plane would be flyable. The idea of the slide in power pod had just been started by one company that built a nitro pod with .40 engine and gas tank that could be transferred between planes. I can't remember if all of those planes were taildraggers? I know when I took my PPL training that all the trainers where trigear because of the easier landing ability. It made it easier to get the pilot safely on the ground over the older Cubs and Taylorcrafts, but it did make for less skilled pilots! I guess by having all the FT planes taildraggers we start off learning to be better pilots and rebuilders of planes! :giggle:

GlassL

Tail draggers tend to be more steerable without having a steerable tail wheel then to steer with fixed nose wheel.
Based on what I've seen in the videos most RC pilots don't spend much time taxing down the runway like the real planes had to in real life to get enough airspeed to lift off. Usually the lift/thrust ratio is high enough they go from tail up to flying in a second. Remember the old war movies when they had to bounce down the field before they could lift off.

GlassL

So yes I see that to add a nose wheel would require a fixed firewall onto which you could mount the nose rod. Not all nose wheels were steerable on models, my Thunder Tiger Cardinal 177 just had a free wheeling nose that steered by rudder force like a taildragger once you get the weight off the tail. You do have to get a little airspeed before getting enough rudder control so yes taxing out to the runway was hard, I usually place the plane on the runway or short grass. It just looks weird seeing a plane that looks like a Telemaster dragging it's tail. And the original kit had instructions to set it up as a taildragger too you just had to mount the main gear farther forward and add a steerable tail wheel to the rudder. I guess I'm just old fashion thinking that a plane sitting on the ground flat and level ready to fly looks more dignified than squatting on the ground :rolleyes:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So yes I see that to add a nose wheel would require a fixed firewall onto which you could mount the nose rod. Not all nose wheels were steerable on models, my Thunder Tiger Cardinal 177 just had a free wheeling nose that steered by rudder force like a taildragger once you get the weight off the tail. You do have to get a little airspeed before getting enough rudder control so yes taxing out to the runway was hard, I usually place the plane on the runway or short grass. It just looks weird seeing a plane that looks like a Telemaster dragging it's tail. And the original kit had instructions to set it up as a taildragger too you just had to mount the main gear farther forward and add a steerable tail wheel to the rudder. I guess I'm just old fashion thinking that a plane sitting on the ground flat and level ready to fly looks more dignified than squatting on the ground :rolleyes:
I never thought of a castor style nose wheel but that does make sense, having the main gear behind the CG will still make the plane track straight on take off. The tail draggers tend to pull to the left from torque requiring rudder to compensate on power up. I would say make it a trigear and see how it works, the extra little bit of weight up front might help the CG in the air too.

Have you started building the Legacy yet?

GlassL

I never thought of a castor style nose wheel but that does make sense, having the main gear behind the CG will still make the plane track straight on take off. The tail draggers tend to pull to the left from torque requiring rudder to compensate on power up. I would say make it a trigear and see how it works, the extra little bit of weight up front might help the CG in the air too.

Have you started building the Legacy yet?
No I have to get my TT behaving well before I tackle the Brushwacker but it is difinely on my radar, maybe this spring.

GlassL

You are doing the Bushwhacker as well?
At this point it is a proof of concept. I have a GForce E400 2212 100Kv, GForce 40A ESC, and 2S 30C 100 mAh battery that I purchase to convert an old Comet Aeronca Chief rubber band kit. But since I found the foam building community I have put the balsa build on the back burner and am looking to make a home for this power plant set up. I built an Armin wing watching Experimental Airline video that has a 40" span and 8.5" cord. I was going to build a Noob tube fuselage for it but am now marking out a modified Schrub Smacker fuselage instead. I printed up the plans for the fuselage and cut it out for a template. I have to add 3 3/8" to the middle to accommodate the wider cord, I added nose cheeks that extend past the firewall to hide the motor from the side, and elongated to tail section to maintain the 2 to 3 times cord guidelines from the Flite Test trainer design article. I am going to transfer my new profile to poster board so I can recreate new fuselage layout. I don't have any of the fancy CAD software so this is all hand draw on paper and poster board. I'll update when I lay it out on FB.

GlassL

As a FAN of Tricycle Landing Gear, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
I'm planning a steerable Nose Wheel on my very modified version of the Simple Storch. 😉
As a FAN of Tricycle Landing Gear, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
I'm planning a steerable Nose Wheel on my very modified version of the Simple Storch. 😉
As Grifflyer alluded to that FT planes are designed around the removable power pod that a nose wheel isn't practical, but this modification of the Shrubwacker will probably have a fixed firewall a nose gear might be in the works. I too am from the world where a plane sitting on three wheels looks right!

PoorManRC

Master member
As Grifflyer alluded to that FT planes are designed around the removable power pod that a nose wheel isn't practical, but this modification of the Shrubwacker will probably have a fixed firewall a nose gear might be in the works. I too am from the world where a plane sitting on three wheels looks right!
Completely understand....
NONE of my FT Aircraft have been built with the standard removable Power Pod.

I'm thinking Plywood frame for the Nose Gear and servo.
Except for the removable Wing, not much of anything will actually be "Simple Storch"!!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

Except for the removable Wing, not much of anything will actually be "Simple Storch"!!
No pressure but have you maidened the BB yet?! You are killing me here man!

GlassL

You are making it "Simply Your Storch" putting you signature on it. As long as it still flys all is good.
You gave me an idea I hadn't thought about for the nose wheel, I am use to running push rods forward and aft for the rudder servo but nothing says you couldn't run two servos Y harnessed together to save having to place the rudder servo in the middle between the rudder and nose wheel.

PoorManRC

Master member
You are making it "Simply Your Storch" putting you signature on it. As long as it still flys all is good.
You gave me an idea I hadn't thought about for the nose wheel, I am use to running push rods forward and aft for the rudder servo but nothing says you couldn't run two servos Y harnessed together to save having to place the rudder servo in the middle between the rudder and nose wheel.

Absolutely!! My Abomination! 😜

You COULD run a central Servo... but you're putting a lot of stress on the Rudder Pushrod. I've got experience with THAT. 😳😡

You're correct again. The Legacy has more than enough Lift and low enough Wing Loading, for the third Servo up front! 👍👍

The challenge is - moving the Main Gear and its Wood Frame, slightly behind the CG...
Just a matter of cutting Foam differently really. 😉

Then just a similar Wood Box for the Front!

GlassL

Absolutely!! My Abomination! 😜

You COULD run a central Servo... but you're putting a lot of stress on the Rudder Pushrod. I've got experience with THAT. 😳😡

You're correct again. The Legacy has more than enough Lift and low enough Wing Loading, for the third Servo up front! 👍👍

The challenge is - moving the Main Gear and its Wood Frame, slightly behind the CG...
Just a matter of cutting Foam differently really. 😉

Then just a similar Wood Box for the Front!
Which is easier to do at this point when it's still just on paper!

PoorManRC

Master member
Which is easier to do at this point when it's still just on paper!
PRECISELY!! 👍👍
So.... This isn't a Speed Build Kit? That's still beyond my capabilities, except the simplest of Kits, IF someone is able to Print the Plans.

I even have trouble getting the lines and the pages straight!! 😖
(Odd issues)

The point is, you know, at the Plans Stage, it's pretty easy to modify things.