New FT P-38

Mozella

This is a nice looking airplane, but I see several areas where the material (foam board) is not well matched to the shape of the real airplane. A few components cry out to be 3D printed such as the tail boom radiator scoops, the canopy, the nose cone, and the engine cowlings. Not only would 3D printed parts be more scale looking, they would be much easier to build especially if a clever member of the FT family does the design work so the rest of us can simply put the STL files on our printers, sit back, and watch a nice components appear ready to glue in place.

The rest of the airplane, judging from the photograph, is pretty darn good looking considering that it's made from foam board, the tail booms are particularly nice.

I did the 3D printed FT Viggen nose you see in my icon. It's a nicer shape than the foam nose and MUCH easier to make and easier still to make again when a crash requires a replacement. The P-38 could benefit even more from a few DIY plastic parts.

Mozella

I agree the the scale stuff but I think it would be a better idea to make the stuff you mentioned as an add on.
I didn't mean to imply that the Flite Test company should get involved at all. I meant that someone in the community of builders, like me, would draw the parts and make the STL files available for free so that those with a 3D printer could make substitute plastic parts if they wish.

Mr.Grinch

I didn't mean to imply that the Flite Test company should get involved at all. I meant that someone in the community of builders, like me, would draw the parts and make the STL files available for free so that those with a 3D printer could make substitute plastic parts if they wish.

I’m sure that could give a nice finishing touch to some of the rough edges...
Only problem it that it’ll really make those of us without a printer really, REALLY, jealous!

Rapper

Amazing build video, but I can’t find a flight video of this bird anywhere? Any flight reviews out there?

mach1 rc

Master member
Welcome to the forums. I think on his Instagram trieditathomeofficial there's videos of it but flite test hasn't reviewed it yet.

Rapper

Not on Instagram. 😕. Build is straight forward enough. Pretty amazing engineering. Off subject, but what glue sticks are best? I see little to no stringing and it doesn’t set up too fast in the video.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Not on Instagram. 😕. Build is straight forward enough. Pretty amazing engineering. Off subject, but what glue sticks are best? I see little to no stringing and it doesn’t set up too fast in the video.

This is a great comparison vid. Very helpful info. You won't regret watching it.
I buy 90 count boxes of Arrow glue sticks, for less than $20, from Home Depot.

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Only monster p-38’s so far...

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Last edited: