New FT vid. It's been a while.

kdobson83

They've gone down to 1 video a week. Kind of disappointing. Merged their store with Amain Hobbies, added a subscription service to their YouTube channel, incorporating non RC sponsors in their videos... Hope FT isn't going down hill....

d8veh

Elite member
I think all that's sort of inevitable as operations grow hobby to corporation. The emphasis will surely swing from having fun to creating revenue streams. I don't have too much problem with that as long as the primary objective is to create revenue by having fun; however, corporate and fun are not often words used in the same sentence. They've got a lot of staff and real estate to pay for now, so we can look forward to a lot more opportunities to donate our money to them. At least we're still having some fun, and I feel I owe them something for getting us here. I find most of the other RC forums are good sources of technical information, but completely boring.

Michael9865

Elite member
Watching the tank fly was awesome. I would love to see plans and a build video for the smaller test version of the tanks. Every field needs a flying tank, it will remind us to have some fun in our hobby. What kid wouldn’t be amazed as they watched it fly.
I agree with kdobson83 about the video frequency and wish FT did more videos, however I enjoy the videos that they do. I enjoyed their video podcasts from before.
I believe that the store decision was to increase the available products and increase customer satisfaction. As changes are made kinks need to get smoothed out.
FT has had non RC sponsors of their videos before, Audible.com sponsored many episodes in the past. Josh and Josh used to actually recommend books during the episodes.
As companies grow things change, yet I applaud FT for staying with making memories with others and having fun/goofy videos as well as serious videos with great content and great build videos.
Like d8veh, I enjoy the FT forum over others available. I like the PG environment that I can share with others and my grandchildren with worrying about users belittling and berating each other. I can also watch their video content without worrying what may be overheard.

basslord1124

Master member
Yeah the tank video was awesome. I had a feeling it'd fly. :) Josh had also brought up a thanks to John and Gretchen for helping out on the episode. I know the emphasis was on the tank, but you guys should look on Facebook at John's (think last name is Overstreet) designs...killer stuff.

I know the whole idea of "is FT going down the tubes" gets brought up sometimes. I think it's just part of a new chapter of growth PLUS the undertaking of their new property. And I'm sure the cold temps and weather up there don't help matters much as far as trying to develop new content for the youtube channel. They've helped open up a new world to me that might've taken me twice as long to find (I'm stubborn like that), and I thank them for it. So in my eyes, they've done their part.

A few things I do hope they continue to expand more on are: 1) nitro/gas planes(bring back the UltraStick and continue a series on it) and 2) more "sexy" designs with foamboard (none of their planes have the look of the Edge...how about a series of planes that push the envelope of foamboard and making cool looking designs like the Edge).

Dante

I liked the old vlogs. They may have been too much work for Alex and Stefan (in which case I understand why they stopped) but they were very enjoyable to watch. 15 mins of video that just showed the shop in a friendly and non-overproduced manner. They were unlike the newer videos, which seem too short and limited in the scope of what they show (very broad and welcoming to non RC-ers, but lacking in technical tidbits and relatability). The vlogs let you see a lot, maybe not of what you would normally seek out, but were very well produced (not overproduced like the new videos though). I liked to see things that wouldn't warrant an episode to itself, but were interesting nonetheless (eg: large agricultural drone motors, products in development) .

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The newest trend I am dreading is the stopping of the video to do a comnercial in the middle of everything.

I stopped watching Bardwells videos for that same reason and only go to his channel when looking for new info to help people.

Im old n grumpy now and thought how much of my 50 + years has been wasted with commercials and ads. In the last few years they seem to set me off more and more.

Hopefully this trend will go away quickly otherwise I may have to.

JTarmstr

Elite member
The newest trend I am dreading is the stopping of the video to do a comnercial in the middle of everything.

I stopped watching Bardwells videos for that same reason and only go to his channel when looking for new info to help people.

Im old n grumpy now and thought how much of my 50 + years has been wasted with commercials and ads. In the last few years they seem to set me off more and more.

Hopefully this trend will go away quickly otherwise I may have to.

I try to put up with ads because a lot of youtubers (like PeterSripol) get de-monetized on their videos and don't receive revenue, that means they need an alternative way to fund their builds. I do hate it when the add is in the middle but maybe the sponsor makes them do it. i prefer adds at the end before the credits but still. Unless we are willing to personally pay for the costs of a frequent video, i think adds are going to be sticking around for a while.

However a few things i noticed in the Fortnite airplane video:

At 5:35 there is a fuselage for a scaled down Andres A-10

At 5:40 there is what looks like @Splinter189 's Gremlin A-10

At 6:20 there is a fully built scaled down Andres A- 10

At 7:47 there is a plane on the table at the bottom left, is that a sea otter or something else?

So looks like there might be a small A-10 coming?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I vote with my wallet and my subs. Was starting to watch a Peters new video and he lead with a commercial so I unclicked him.

I wouldnt have so much problems with ads if they were helpful. I soend weeks sometimes researching quad gear as I save up for it and have NEVER had an ad pop up related to what I was looking for.

Not 5 seconds after buying though I get the do you wanba buy this item again spam mails as well as see tons of ads for what I looked for.

These ass backwards morons need to be shot plain and simple...

@getgglfkt.org nnln

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
I try to put up with ads because a lot of youtubers (like PeterSripol) get de-monetized on their videos and don't receive revenue, that means they need an alternative way to fund their builds. I do hate it when the add is in the middle but maybe the sponsor makes them do it. i prefer adds at the end before the credits but still. Unless we are willing to personally pay for the costs of a frequent video, i think adds are going to be sticking around for a while.

At 7:47 there is a plane on the table at the bottom left, is that a sea otter or something else?

i don't want a small one, as mentioned those can be found in multiple places in multiple configurations already. i want the plans to the BIG one! go big or go home!

just my $.02,

me :cool:

Paracodespoder

Elite member

At the 7:47 it looks like some kind of mini foamboard Bix 1, 2 or3 style plane, other than that? Can’t tell much about it, but I’m sure it’s something fun:).

JTarmstr

Elite member
i don't want a small one, as mentioned those can be found in multiple places in multiple configurations already. i want the plans to the BIG one! go big or go home!

just my $.02,

me :cool:

With the announcement of the thicker variant of foamboard i think we have a guarantee that there will be a big one. However it makes sense to sell a scaled down variant for those who cant affoard to make a monster.

basslord1124

Master member
The YouTube creators determine how ads will appear. So Peter/Flitetest make that decision (or whoever is in charge of their YouTube channel) on if ads will appear in the beginning, middle, end, etc. I prefer em at the beginning. I hate the ones in the middle but I'll sit through them if I have to.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hehe im gonna go out on a limb and say you havent watched tbe new Ft vids or Peters either.

Alex has been doing his own home brewed commercials in the latest vids as has Peter in many of his. Joshua Bardwell is another on that bandwagon.

Even the video games on cell phone aps are now running full blown hd tv comnercials suckin up more data....

JTarmstr

Elite member
Hehe im gonna go out on a limb and say you havent watched tbe new Ft vids or Peters either.

Alex has been doing his own home brewed commercials in the latest vids as has Peter in many of his. Joshua Bardwell is another on that bandwagon.

Even the video games on cell phone aps are now running full blown hd tv comnercials suckin up more data....

I have watched most of their recent videos and i don't begrudge them a minute so they can make money off of the video. i wish they could put the ad at the beginning or end but i guess that isn't the way they like to do it. Plus making a person carrying quadcopter is worth a ad in my opinion. i dunno its a matter of opinion i guess.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The ads, in their current form really don't bother me. I want these guys to be able to make a living doing what they're doing. I just wait the five seconds or whatever and hit "skip."

basslord1124

Master member
Ah ya mean those type of ads... I have seen it in Flitetest vids, haven't watched Peter in a while. Ya mean the ones where Alex promotes a non-related product himself? I can't say I'm much of a fan either but if it is supposed to help with their revenue then I'll suck it up for the 15-30 seconds it takes. I noticed boogie2988 (another YouTuber I've watched) does it too sometimes.