New guy battery question

joshuabardwell

Mentor
about 11.3 usually.

That's a little high. You can fly a little longer if you want to. For an 11 Ah battery, target about 8,800 mAh pulled out. You can round down to 8,000 to be on the safe side. Remember that there is a bit of waste energy in the recharging process, so you will put back in a little more than you took out. Look for a resting voltage around 11.0-11.1. Since you have a truly massive pack, with a huge current capacity, you will get less voltage sag during flight. This means that you have less difference between loaded voltage and resting voltage. In other words, if your resting voltage is 11.3, you were probably at something like 11.0 when flying--not even starting to bump the limits.

Khaptin

That's a little high. You can fly a little longer if you want to. For an 11 Ah battery, target about 8,800 mAh pulled out. You can round down to 8,000 to be on the safe side. Remember that there is a bit of waste energy in the recharging process, so you will put back in a little more than you took out. Look for a resting voltage around 11.0-11.1. Since you have a truly massive pack, with a huge current capacity, you will get less voltage sag during flight. This means that you have less difference between loaded voltage and resting voltage. In other words, if your resting voltage is 11.3, you were probably at something like 11.0 when flying--not even starting to bump the limits.

I thought it seemed like I wasn't having to put so many Amps back in, however at 11.3 resting voltage my craft has a hard time holding a hover without descending. the reason I'm planning on moving to a 4s pack.

I'll do a little more testing maybe I'm missing something.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I thought it seemed like I wasn't having to put so many Amps back in, however at 11.3 resting voltage my craft has a hard time holding a hover without descending. the reason I'm planning on moving to a 4s pack. I'll do a little more testing maybe I'm missing something.

What throttle percentage does your craft hover at when your battery is full?

Khaptin

I've only tested this in GPS mode or Atti mode, but it's 50% in those. When the batter starts getting lower I find I have to give it more throttle to keep it airborne.

Khaptin

I wired up my 6600 mAh battery today. It wasn't fully charged when I got it, but wasn't dead, so I flew it a little bit (I think my starting voltage was 15.6). When I fly with a full charge I'll be able to tell more if I like it. I didn't land until my loaded voltage was about 13.9. The battery felt a little warm, but I'm not sure how warm is to warm. I flew about 10 minutes, but landed to feel my motors to see if they were warm mid flight. When I cam inside and plugged the battery into my LiPo tester the resting voltage came up to about 4.7v.