New guy from Downunder

Dazzy

Hi All my name is Darryl but I go by my nickname of Daz, its been 45 years since I last did a rc airplane build ( long time ). So Ive got a lot to learn and catch up on, Ive got good pc skils along with CAD design knowledge.

Looking forward to chatting with you guys/gals over the coming year and more, have a great day.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Hi All my name is Darryl but I go by my nickname of Daz, its been 45 years since I last did a rc airplane build ( long time ). So Ive got a lot to learn and catch up on, Ive got good pc skils along with CAD design knowledge.

Looking forward to chatting with you guys/gals over the coming year and more, have a great day.
Awesome! I took a break for 1 year and I was so glad to sit down and build/fly again. I can't imagine 45! You have a great day too.

Dazzy

Thanks for the welcome guys, my 1st love in models would be ww2 & ww1 designs. I especially like the Corsair, Curtis P40 ( aka Kittyhawk, thats the aussie version ), Mustang, Thunderbolt, Spitfire and Hurricane.

WW1 models would be the Sopwith, Fokker, SE variants and many others.

So Ive got plenty of time on my hands atm ( recently retired, but not retired from life ) and Im looking at many models, but the ones that stand out initially are the trainers that will suit my skills now. Ive got access to a suitable workshop with all hand tools that I will ever need etc.

Also that Im currently building a laser cutter - engraver for use on balsa parts, its still early days with my cutter as In just finishing up the cad design and looking at suitable part suppliers now.

One aspect that Im a novice at is the selection of radio control system. Would someone steer me in the right direction here?

Thanks Daz

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
One aspect that Im a novice at is the selection of radio control system. Would someone steer me in the right direction here?

Here is a good thread about transmitters, the prices are a bit old, still a lot of good information.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/which-transmitter-you-should-buy.37966/

Talking about Tx’s is a bit like discussing cars, everyone has a reason why the one they us is the best. The truth is they all work very well. Range issues are mostly due to improper installation, damaged equipment or local conditions. In the past there have been issues with branded equipment which turned out to be fake.

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Like @Merv said, there are many options and most work pretty well these days. Personally, I've always been happy with my Spektrum gear. There are cheaper ways and one can argue that Spektrum might not be the best bang for your buck but I've really enjoyed being able to pick up a model like my UMX Timber, bind to it, and fly. Spektrum has good receivers with features like As3x stabilization and SAFE mode. You can also find cheaper LemonRX, Orange, and RangeX receivers that are DSMX/DSM2 compatible (Great option for flying cheap FT Style foamboard models) I currently run a DX8, use a DXe for the kids and to "buddy box" with, and planning on getting a DX12 or similar in the near future.

Since you mentioned that you are skilled in CAD and building a laser cutter I'll assume you're not a Luddite like myself but if you haven't flown in a while you'll be amazed at how much things have changed! Battery Technology, cheap brushless power systems, and 2.4gHz radio gear have done wonders for this hobby, worth a little time reading up on since each portion is a field of study unto itself... which is why I've stuck with Spektrum. Sure, if you're tech savy you can use things like Open TX where you can run any protocol on your transmitter but I figure my time is worth something. There are so many things to keep up with I don't feel like learning how to program yet another piece of gear. I'll stick to my spektrum for the ease of use, simple menus, and widely available accessories.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
If you have a local flying club, I would recommend joining it. I would also recommend using the brand of Tx that someone in your club uses. All of the Tx menus are equally confusing for someone who has not seen it. I use Flysky, I find Spectrum menus totally confusing. I'm sure Spectrum users would find Flysky menus confusing. It's just a matter of what your are used to. No need for someone to learn a new system before they can help you.

If you fly alone, take a look a the Jumper, it is a multi protocol system that will run all of the major brands of receivers.

Last edited:

MacandRita

Hi Daz,

I am from Mareeba and have just started rc planes at the tender age of 65 years. I have built a simple cub and taken it out to the Mareeba rc plane club to get the experts to try it out. Still sorting through a few issues but getting there. I also built a simple scout hoping that it would fly easier. Just need to do the landing gear and some paint work. The club at Mareeba is out on a cane farm with plenty of space with a close cropped grass strip. Cairns also has a club and often members come up as they prefer the Mareeba set up. I will probably join them once I retire but unfortunately work is still a necessary evil. Both planes I scratch built using free flitetest plans and A2 foam board sheets from office works. It meant joining sheets together for longer sections as designs are made for A1 size sheets. IMG_0391.JPG IMG_0367.JPG IMG_0376.JPG

Dazzy

Hi Marc I presume, I like your builds they look great. For me Im into designing and then building balsa rc planes, so Ive still got more todo before Ive got my designs set and I will keep the forum posted on my progress. Please post any info re the Mareeba groups site etc. Nice to chat with you and maybe sometime real soon.

MacandRita

Hi Daz,
Mareeba club web site is mascotnq.com. Web site is old and no one is updating it or monitoring emails but the club itself is active every Sunday morning. Some members also fly on other days but Sunday is club day. Good variation of aircraft and multi rotor. Club is onAdil road. I have attached a google map image showing strip, covered assembly area and containers include toilet facilities. I will get contact persons details next time I'm out there. IMG_0396.PNG
Cheers, Mac