New guy here, checking in

earthquake

Hey everybody, My name is Casey, I want to get back into RC, last time I had any thing in the air it was a Dynaflite "Piece of Cake" with a Cox .049 on it. It had about a 72" wing span with a polyhedral wing, it only had a 2 channel radio [Circus Hobbies, remember them?] I don't think I ever got more then 2 minutes in the air before the wind ripped it out of the sky, that was 25 years ago.
I down loaded the plans for the "Baby Blender" but I do know if that would be a good plane to start with, I know one thing I will never go back to fuel again, it is too messy. I have too be able to do this on the cheap, I am disabled and my check only goes so far, one of my biggest problems is I live about 45 miles slightly SW of Las Vegas, NV and all I have is desert around me, on my property I have a spot I am going to rake off the big rocks and find a couple of large carpet rems to spread out the take off from and land on. I would like to get a drone with a camera so I can get some video of the game trails my dogs have worn on my property but I don't think I can afford one any time soon. I will probably have a ton of questions so I hope you don't mind.

Casey

FastCrash45

Elite member
Hey everybody, My name is Casey, I want to get back into RC, last time I had any thing in the air it was a Dynaflite "Piece of Cake" with a Cox .049 on it. It had about a 72" wing span with a polyhedral wing, it only had a 2 channel radio [Circus Hobbies, remember them?] I don't think I ever got more then 2 minutes in the air before the wind ripped it out of the sky, that was 25 years ago.
I down loaded the plans for the "Baby Blender" but I do know if that would be a good plane to start with, I know one thing I will never go back to fuel again, it is too messy. I have too be able to do this on the cheap, I am disabled and my check only goes so far, one of my biggest problems is I live about 45 miles slightly SW of Las Vegas, NV and all I have is desert around me, on my property I have a spot I am going to rake off the big rocks and find a couple of large carpet rems to spread out the take off from and land on. I would like to get a drone with a camera so I can get some video of the game trails my dogs have worn on my property but I don't think I can afford one any time soon. I will probably have a ton of questions so I hope you don't mind.

Casey
Welcome and questions are why this forum exists. That Blender maybe a bit tough on you with little experience. Not saying you can't do it but I think it is for intermediate pilots. My skills rusted to nothing after about the same amount of time away from planes. You might be better off with the simple scout, simple cub, or the tiny trainer. Not as fun looking but you'll get back into the swing of things a bit easier. Then again, it's a buck a sheet for foam so you can crash and bash a lot before it eats too far into the finances. Just my pennies worth.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Welcome, I agree with @FastCrash45, the Blender might not be the best choice, I'd recommend the Tiny Trainer. Your idea of carpet will work, if you can get enough. One of the best flying fields I've seen used AstroTurf that was being replaced, the club was able to get it before it went to the dump. It makes a great runway.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Ok. You've put me in quite a spot. Who the heck "welcomes" an earthquake? You guys must be nuts! :p

Just kidding. Welcome to the Forum Family, @earthquake! Don't worry about questions. We actually like them. Beats the heck out of losing an enthusiast because they didn't ask a question. We wish EVERYONE could get the same joy we get from flying RC. Join in, have fun and ask away!

Brianna81

A fellow new person here, still debating on what plane I want to build. I got a pretty good deal on the 949 over Christmas, just been waiting for a good day to try it out. I'm going to bash that thing while I learn, so that hopefully when I build my first plane, I won't kill it the first time I'm in the air. I'm considering trying a simulator, but I haven't researched those at all yet. I played one back in the mid 90's at a friend's house, his dad was into the sport. I have no idea what it was, but it was interesting. I'm hoping graphics have improved a little since then though :D

FastCrash45

Elite member
A fellow new person here, still debating on what plane I want to build. I got a pretty good deal on the 949 over Christmas, just been waiting for a good day to try it out. I'm going to bash that thing while I learn, so that hopefully when I build my first plane, I won't kill it the first time I'm in the air. I'm considering trying a simulator, but I haven't researched those at all yet. I played one back in the mid 90's at a friend's house, his dad was into the sport. I have no idea what it was, but it was interesting. I'm hoping graphics have improved a little since then though :D
Graphics are at least 10x better now than the 90s. I've worked on and made personal computers from the late 90s until they did away with Windows XP. I'm waiting on the cable for my FS-i6 so I can train myself on a couple planes before I build and fly them. The expo and dual rates are saving a lot of foam for me already😎

earthquake

Thanks guys
I am called Earthquake because I was always the biggest kid in my class and a 5th grade [45 years ago] teacher called me that, Nowadays a teacher would probably get fired for that! Anyways I am 6'5' and over 340lbs.
I will take your advice on the Baby Blender for a trainer, I down loaded the plans for the Tiny Trainer. I am going to get it cut out but I need a hot glue gun, I am/was a metal fabricator/welder by trade and have 5 welders in my shop, can I make the TT out of stainless? might be a little heavy I guess.

Thanks for the help
Casey

Brianna81

Thanks guys
I am called Earthquake because I was always the biggest kid in my class and a 5th grade [45 years ago] teacher called me that, Nowadays a teacher would probably get fired for that! Anyways I am 6'5' and over 340lbs.
I will take your advice on the Baby Blender for a trainer, I down loaded the plans for the Tiny Trainer. I am going to get it cut out but I need a hot glue gun, I am/was a metal fabricator/welder by trade and have 5 welders in my shop, can I make the TT out of stainless? might be a little heavy I guess.

Thanks for the help
Casey

Maybe you could make it out of a really light grade aluminum? :D With a Power Pack W (which I imagine would be like, one of those motors Peter Sripol used for his DIY homemade actual airplane lol)

mayan

Legendary member
@earthquake wellcome to the family buddy! The Tiny Trainer is a great plane and I am happy that you decided to go with that as a first come back plane. Good luck with it. If you need anything else let us know we are all here to help.