New guy here:)

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Welcome to the hobby and the FT family. I had several failures with the FT Flyer, Nutball and Delta. I was underpowered with a 2S setup. When I switched it up and tried the Bloody Wonder on 3S everything clicked. Been hooked ever since. Keep after it, it's more than worth it. I started out with my son too. He's now finishing up his commercial aviation degree at UND.

MachineCat

Thanks for the welcoming. :)

Our second draft of FT Flyer was able to stay in the air for a while, but seems to be under powered as well.

I started the build because I had a 8520 brushed motor. So I scaled the FT flyer down to 16inch wing span. My original thoughts were that I may be able to keep the weight under 50gram but turns out the plan was too aggressive. Current build is about 73gram, too much for that small motor.

Now I plan to get another motor.

But as you guys said, my son and I had a lot of fun building and flying and crashing this thing. :D

Attachments

• 20210814_094349.jpg
    20210814_094349.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Welcome to the hobby and the FT family. I had several failures with the FT Flyer, Nutball and Delta. I was underpowered with a 2S setup. When I switched it up and tried the Bloody Wonder on 3S everything clicked. Been hooked ever since. Keep after it, it's more than worth it. I started out with my son too. He's now finishing up his commercial aviation degree at UND.
Is the bloody wonder a reasonable trainer? With ppf and a 3s

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Is the bloody wonder a reasonable trainer? With ppf and a 3s
It was the plane that I really learned to fly on, but I would not recommend it as a trainer for most people getting into the hobby. There are better choices now like the Tiny Trainer, Explorer, or the Simple Scout.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
It was the plane that I really learned to fly on, but I would not recommend it as a trainer for most people getting into the hobby. There are better choices now like the Tiny Trainer, Explorer, or the Simple Scout.
ok, i was just hoping that it would work with a PPF and a 3s 1100mah. (& 9g servos) .. apparently the TT won't fly well with that setup... so i am making my own motor glider, with a 1.2 m wingspan for that setup.... i hope (when i finally get around to it)

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
ok, i was just hoping that it would work with a PPF and a 3s 1100mah. (& 9g servos) .. apparently the TT won't fly well with that setup... so i am making my own motor glider, with a 1.2 m wingspan for that setup.... i hope (when i finally get around to it)

other then the 9 gram servo, I flew a TT with a PPF with a 1300mAh 3s battery just fine. the battery needs to be mounted much farther back and the wing load ends up higher. It flew fine.

MachineCat

Went out flying the FT Flyer again with my son. This time it flied a lot better. Mostly because my boy started to get better controlling it. :)
I would still say it is under powered though, very hard to pick up speed even with full throttle.

kilroy07

Legendary member
If you can, take a video of it and post a link here. We've all make enough mistakes to help you see where you might need some work. (under powered, wrong CG, over controlling, etc.) Sometimes it helps to have feed back and it helps if we can see what's going on.

And welcome to the forums!!

skymaster

Elite member
Uuummm your are playing with an rc plane dude so you are still a kid and that kid beside you helping you crash . that's your bestest buddy so enjoy and have fun and welcome to the forum.