New guy in TX here !

Rick1033

Hi I chose the sea duck as my first build cause Tale Spin ! But yeah progress is great. I ordered the p-40 as my second build cause i know I'm not going to stop ! Lol. The energy from the you tube vids is really helping me out a lot personally. And I'm going to join my local rc plane club asap ! Any one in Round rock, austin , or georgetown TX ? I would love to make some good friends and fly around with some cool people. Ok well name is Rick so hit me up some time. See yeah laters 🙂

tamuct01

Hey Rick! Welcome to the group! I live the Leander/Georgetown area and fly with the Lone Star Aeronuts (roundrockrc.org). The club field at Old Settlers Park is currently closed as the city renovates it for us, but the Southwest Regional Williamson County Park (https://www.wilco.org/Departments/P...rks/Southwest-Williamson-County-Regional-Park) does allow electric flight (but no "drones"??!!) when fields are available.

The Round Rock group has great facilities, including electricity, but will be down for a bit while they refurbish the area. I'd love to catch up with you and go fly!

Rick1033

Hey Rick! Welcome to the group! I live the Leander/Georgetown area and fly with the Lone Star Aeronuts (roundrockrc.org). The club field at Old Settlers Park is currently closed as the city renovates it for us, but the Southwest Regional Williamson County Park (https://www.wilco.org/Departments/P...rks/Southwest-Williamson-County-Regional-Park) does allow electric flight (but no "drones"??!!) when fields are available.

The Round Rock group has great facilities, including electricity, but will be down for a bit while they refurbish the area. I'd love to catch up with you and go fly!

That sounds great!! I’m new to planes so these will be my first flights. You’ll have to be patient with me lol.
Sea duck is being built so I’ll keep you the loop when I can meet up. What planes do you fly ?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Welcome to the forums rick!!

When you go to maiden you sea duck try and get a video, so we can cheer you on when you fly!!! and in case something goes wrong we can see what happened and try and diagnose the problem for you

tamuct01

That sounds great!! I’m new to planes so these will be my first flights. You’ll have to be patient with me lol.
Sea duck is being built so I’ll keep you the loop when I can meet up. What planes do you fly ?

I've been flying close to 10 years now. The FT Guinea Pig was my first plane, but I had lots of simulator and indoor heli practice prior to that. The current fleet consists of:
  • FT Guinea Pig (still that original one!)
  • FT 3D
  • FT Simple Storch
  • FT Legacy
  • FT Goblin (needs repair :-( )
  • FT Bloody Wonder
  • FT Viggen
  • Eflite FT Night Radian
  • Durafly T-28 & P-40
  • 3DLabPrint Spitfire
  • Various small Blade Helis up to 450 side
  • FT Gremlin & various other quads
Let me know when you get the duck finished. I'd be happy to buddy box with you. What radio system have you selected?

Headbang

Master member
Hi I chose the sea duck as my first build cause Tale Spin ! But yeah progress is great. I ordered the p-40 as my second build cause i know I'm not going to stop ! Lol. The energy from the you tube vids is really helping me out a lot personally. And I'm going to join my local rc plane club asap ! Any one in Round rock, austin , or georgetown TX ? I would love to make some good friends and fly around with some cool people. Ok well name is Rick so hit me up some time. See yeah laters 🙂
Seaduck is a great all around plane. Was my first ft build as well. More complex then most builds, but if you follow the build video to the letter and check all fitting before you glue, you can not go wrong. As a trainer you will have to dial back the rates and add in expo (I do 3d flying with a stock duck), it is very stable in the air. It will fly very slow, looks majestic doing slow low passes. Not my first choice as trainer, big build, sad to break.
Only build input I have is, use heavy packing tape on the haul and nose to help with friction, water proofing, and as a scuff guard. When you curve up that nose piece, to not skimp on hot glue. The glue adds a lot of durability to the nose!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Seaduck is a great all around plane. Was my first ft build as well. More complex then most builds, but if you follow the build video to the letter and check all fitting before you glue, you can not go wrong. As a trainer you will have to dial back the rates and add in expo (I do 3d flying with a stock duck), it is very stable in the air. It will fly very slow, looks majestic doing slow low passes. Not my first choice as trainer, big build, sad to break.
Only build input I have is, use heavy packing tape on the haul and nose to help with friction, water proofing, and as a scuff guard. When you curve up that nose piece, to not skimp on hot glue. The glue adds a lot of durability to the nose!
Buddy box I’d definitely the way to go, so if you can get @tamuct01 to maiden it for you, get it trimmed, then pass over the controls, that will give you a HUGE boost! @Headbang I’m going to build a sea duck sometime before winter, so I’ll pm you and see what helpful hints you have.

Rick1033

I've been flying close to 10 years now. The FT Guinea Pig was my first plane, but I had lots of simulator and indoor heli practice prior to that. The current fleet consists of:
  • FT Guinea Pig (still that original one!)
  • FT 3D
  • FT Simple Storch
  • FT Legacy
  • FT Goblin (needs repair :-( )
  • FT Bloody Wonder
  • FT Viggen
  • Eflite FT Night Radian
  • Durafly T-28 & P-40
  • 3DLabPrint Spitfire
  • Various small Blade Helis up to 450 side
  • FT Gremlin & various other quads
Let me know when you get the duck finished. I'd be happy to buddy box with you. What radio system have you selected?

I haven't chosen one for them yet. I use a spektrum DXE for my sail boats. But I wouldn't mind an upgrade. Lol.
Great plane collection!

Attachments

• IMG_3782.PNG
    IMG_3782.PNG
    80.5 KB · Views: 0

Rick1033

Welcome to the forums rick!!

When you go to maiden you sea duck try and get a video, so we can cheer you on when you fly!!! and in case something goes wrong we can see what happened and try and diagnose the problem for you

Will do !

Rick1033

Awsome stuff thanks. I've been using foam board for architectural building models and such so the build is the part I like. But I still hope I don't crash , to badly , lol. If I do I do. 👍

Syro

I saw a Sea Duck at FT and it looked so smooth in the air. I almost bought one for my first build, but decided to do a simple scout instead due to cost and complexity.

Keep us updated!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Just an update on my progress lol.
I can’t wait to get up In The air !
I still need to cut the controls and Install electronics. But she is coming along I think. 🙂
The Sea Duck is tried and true, though I haven't build one myself. I'm not ready to step up to dual motor and trying to program differential into the TX and all that. You've a task ahead of you. I can't even imagine learning to fly on that plane! :eek: Not that it can't be done, it's a great plane. But there are no baby steps, there.

Keep us posted! As has been said, video is a must for us to help you with any flight problems. I wish you luck and happy flying! :)

Headbang

Master member
Use the mark's on the plan to balance, on those Mark's it is very stable. Make sure all control surfaces are straight and even. Double check that all control surfaces are moving in the right direction (I do this just before every take off of every plane) Set your rates reasonably low with expo, throws in the 50% range with 50% expo. Take off is a matter of slowly adding throttle until it lifts off. It may require a tiny bit of up to coax it, but just very tiny bit. For landing take a long glide approach with about a qtr throttle on final, cut throttle when a few feet off the ground and use gentle movements of elevator to keep it airborne. Seaduck can land on just anything, and is tough as hell. Just keep your speed down, use very gentle control inputs. Have another human with you to click the trims to get it flying straight and level hands off. Get a buddy who can fly to maiden it for you and help you out if possible. Go get the real flight simulator and wear out the red button before flying for real if you can.

Rick1033

Looks like I may have a rainy weekend so I’m planning on working on the sea duck. I’ll post some pics of the progress if anyone cares to see. All I have left to do is motor install and and cut and reinforce the rudders. I’m going old school and not using diff. thrust. I hope everyone is well.