New guy in TX here !

Rick1033

Engine test fitting.

Attachments

• 579ED1A3-AE60-4200-A3BF-1ED82B4F18C7.jpeg
    579ED1A3-AE60-4200-A3BF-1ED82B4F18C7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Rick1033

Well I flew for 2 seconds and crashed lol. I know I know I should have waited for a big field and help flying but I couldn’t help it ! I dented the nose and ripped the wing right off ! But a new spar and some hot glue and she is back with battle scars. Lol. She is primed for paint and I’ll be painting her this weekend. She flys great and crashes spectacularly! I got up about 8 to 9 feet before descending and a bush jumped right in front of me !

Attachments

• 47E370AF-A158-4FDE-964C-0F89D0C81943.jpeg
    47E370AF-A158-4FDE-964C-0F89D0C81943.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

PoorManRC

Master member
And POWER LINES!! That Monster is always out there, trying to be a buzzkill... You're starting out with the RIGHT attitude!! 😁👍👍
I started out with a bit too much passion for the way it LOOKS. That lead to stupid N00b Mistakes and overlooking obvious issues.

Sounds like you're not going to be that guy!!

The Duck IS an ambitious first Plane. That doesn't mean it's the wrong one. You're reliving a Memory - NOBODY can fault you for that! 😉

She's very stable, almost majestic in Flight. Just takes a little more to get used to the controls....

The Guy who designed it, Anders Liu, is a 3D MANIAC! He only knows one speed - INSANE!!! 😲😖
However, his two most notable Planes, the Duck and the Guinea Pig, are WIDE envelope Aircraft.
Such low Wing Loading, they can actually be Flown S L O W on 2S!!
They can also be Aerobatic Maniacs on 3S or 4S, with Differential Thrust! Not too many Planes like that.

So yeah, it could teach you to Fly, an be a lot of fun to do it. Just understand YOUR limitations....
Take it from someone who didn't, last year!

I'm certain that all of your Aircraft will LOOK good 👍👍.
I've seen my share of Architectural Models. Some are ART. Skills you got!

Although I tend to be long winded... I'll leave you with HAVE FUN! If you're not having fun, it's not a Hobby! 😉

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I never laughed so hard when I crashed. I'm definitely having fun ! I hope I don't get addicted to crashing lol.
Lol - I love your attitude! If you get addicted to crashing, you might want to invest in a flight simulator, or else you’ll find your pocket book getting thinner and thinner! I plan on doing a sea duck as soon as I can get ahold of some more ftfb.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I think the engines came out pretty good.
Well I’m gonna try not to crash tomorrow. And if I keep her from crashing I’ll fly a little lol.
There is great irony in this hobby. One doesn't crash, unless one is trying to learn to fly. In order to learn to fly, one must crash. The trick is to recognize that and be cool with it. You've done that. Good luck with your next flight! You've earned it! :)

Rick1033

Hey Rick! Welcome to the group! I live the Leander/Georgetown area and fly with the Lone Star Aeronuts (roundrockrc.org). The club field at Old Settlers Park is currently closed as the city renovates it for us, but the Southwest Regional Williamson County Park (https://www.wilco.org/Departments/P...rks/Southwest-Williamson-County-Regional-Park) does allow electric flight (but no "drones"??!!) when fields are available.

The Round Rock group has great facilities, including electricity, but will be down for a bit while they refurbish the area. I'd love to catch up with you and go fly!

Hey tamuct01I think the sea duck is ready for some real flying. Still want to hang out and go fly ? I'll be available anytime after 2pm tomorrow.
Or anyone else want go fly with a noob ? Lol

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
Thanks there a little fast I think according to josh video at flite test but. If so I got the recommended ones and I'll keep these for show.
The 3 Blade Props LOOK right on that! I'd love to find a 3 Blade Prop for my P-40...
HOWEVER, you could get one with a shallower(slower) Pitch. That will give you the best of both worlds!! 👍👍

Rick1033

This thing flies so damn good , I flew the wings right off !!

Ok ok I crashed. But it was amazing ! I got 4 good flights before she started to pull left as if stuck rudder. And I made a mistake of banking left to yank out of the turn and she nosed dived in to the ground. The crew miraculously survived and have allready ordered replacement foam to fix the sea duck back to tip top shape.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
This thing flies so damn good , I flew the wings right off !!

Ok ok I crashed. But it was amazing ! I got 4 good flights before she started to pull left as if stuck rudder. And I made a mistake of banking left to yank out of the turn and she nosed dived in to the ground. The crew miraculously survived and have allready ordered replacement foam to fix the sea duck back to tip top shape.
Wings are overrated, anyway. :LOL: I'm glad she (and the crew) live to fly another day. 4 good flights is pretty darn good. Keep it up! :)